12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Card Games or Travel Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] recommendations [+] travel [+] [View All]
1234567 1234567
United States
flag msg tools
I will be going on alot of trips this summer and I thought I should bring some games along. I will be on a shuttle bus with a bunch of friends for many long hours. As hard as it is to play on a bus, I am going to try devil So my question to you is what do you suggest? It can be any number of players but 2-4 players would be best. I would be playing in the middle of the aisle on a cooler or something with 3-4 players and on a pillow with 2 players. Am I crazy or is there an option?

Spades and Hearts is all I can think of. Maybe San Juan

Anyway if it sounds like I'm doomed I would still like to know what are the best card/travel/portable games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Edited:] You could probably make San Juan work on a cooler, especially with 2 players. It normally takes up a fair amount of space to lay out all your cards but you could bunch them up into a smaller area.

I'm not sure how large your cooler is but these card games might fit:

Fairy Tale
Guillotine
Coloretto
High Society
For Sale
Category 5
Fluxx
Blue Moon?
Tichu?
(and of course games like Poker, etc.)

Here are some games with more than just cards that I think might fit on a cooler. But some of these have a lot of bits, and you also might have to make a few adjustments (players keep tokens/bits in a cup, hold some things in their hands, etc.):

Pick Picknic
Lost Cities - 2 player
To Court the King
Hey! That's My Fish!
Modern Art
Fjords - small box, 2 player
Cartagena
Diamant
Taluva - but big box
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - 2 player
Travel Blokus - 2 player
Ingenious travel edition ?
Jambo - but lots of bits
Duell - 2 player
Balloon Cup - 2 player

There are probably geeklists about this topic - do a search for "travel," "small," etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find any of the old Ace of Aces dogfight booklets, those work well on a bus. We played several games on a cross-country Greyhound trip last year. You might try Blokus (or Travel Blokus or Blokus Trigon) since the pieces "fit" onto the board and don't slide easily. You might also check out the travel versions of Settlers of Catan and Ingenious. If you're going to have 10+ people on the bus, Werewolf would be good. Some card games that don't take up a lot of space: Category 5, The Great Dalmuti, Gang of Four, and Frank's Zoo. Hive is also a very portable game but you need to play on a surface where the tiles wouldn't be prone to slide. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
If you can find any of the old Ace of Aces dogfight booklets, those work well on a bus. We played several games on a cross-country Greyhound trip last year. You might try Blokus (or Travel Blokus or Blokus Trigon) since the pieces "fit" onto the board and don't slide easily. You might also check out the travel versions of Settlers of Catan and Ingenious. If you're going to have 10+ people on the bus, Werewolf would be good. Some card games that don't take up a lot of space: Category 5, The Great Dalmuti, Gang of Four, and Frank's Zoo. Hive is also a very portable game but you need to play on a surface where the tiles wouldn't be prone to slide. Good luck!

Forget sliding tiles! Check out this geeklist of magnetic versions of popular games, including Battlelore!!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20187
"Games That Should Have Magnetic Travel Versions"

Hive tiles could also have non-slip bath pads cut to size and applied to avoid slippage.

Ace of Aces is a good recommendation. Tichu and Mu and Mehr are both supposed to be great. There is also this list of popular games (hey, that's my fish, through the desert, etc.) that can be played on paper:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8571

Igthorn has created paper adaptions of many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second (or third) Travel Ingenious (Einfach Genial)as a choice. How about some of the Mystery Rummy games? Some of them are for 2 players and some for 2-4. Circus Flohcati is another that comes to mind.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels. For 2-8 players. Hard to compete with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Evil's Advocate
Canada
Greater Vancouver area
BC, Canuckistan
flag msg tools
mb
Liar's Dice (you need a cup and five dice per player and you can play this literally anywhere as long as the cup is big enough to let all 5 dice lay flat at the bottom). If you find a plastic cup that does this, or small dice, or both ... then you're set. Stack the cups, throw the dice in, and you've got a 2-10 player game that fits in a small bag.

Travel Settlers

Travel Blokus 'Duo' or the full version

Never played it, but someone mentioned Travel Ingenious and that sounds good! (I've played the full version

Card games that are portable (but not easily playable on a bus) I would suggest are: No Thanks! and Coloretto

Many of the games others mentioned are great too, but I like these because they are easy to teach, and you will likely draw in new players because of this.

Carcassonne is very portable if you just put all the bits in a ziploc and put that along with all the tiles in a cloth bag. Not so portable to play without a table though - unless you make a magnetic version as pointed out in another reply.

Bang! is another portable card game (but you need a table) that supports 3-7p (8 with expansion). The theme makes it easily accessible so you can easily rope in other players from outside your own group to create a larger game.

EDIT 1: formatting

EDIT 2-4:
Let me just further expound upon my recommendation for Liar's Dice. Just buy a bunch of small dice at a dollar store and make this game for yourself. Find some cheap plastic cups.

Make an extra bunch of sets because people on the bus will be asking you guys what you are playing, why you are laughing/having so much fun, and can they play too.

You can tell them it's the game from "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Each person can be seated in different parts of the bus, as long as everyone is within conversation range of each other and they are honest non-cheating players, you will have a blast without leaning over a cooler in the middle of the aisle.

You can play with just 2p and it's still fun. Each game only lasts a few minutes so you can play it over and over and vary the number of players each game based on who wants to be 'in' or 'out'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ヴェリ=ミッコアイヤラ
Finland
Sastamala
flag msg tools
Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg
-excellent and cheap(about 7e) game for 3-10 players. Very interesting game and it doesn't need much space to play. Also, it's theme suits perfectly for travelling. I have had exciting 3 and 4 player games, but better with more players.

High Society
-quick and fun game for 3-5 players. Highly recommended.

Razzia!
-great card game for 2-5 players, but needs little more playing space and isn't suitable for playing on a pillow. Maybe on a cooler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Search Geeklists for 'plane':
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist_controller.php?action=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with a cooler and pillow, I guarantee there will be times where cards/bits will move/fall due to road conditions and traffic, so I agree with some of the aformentioned suggestions such as Travel Blokus, Travel Catan, Citadels, For Sale, Liar's Dice and possibly San Juan and Lost Cities (2 players for one game, four players for two). If you can play San Juan and Bang, you could also probably play Bohnanza, Mille Bornes, Guillotine and Loot, however are more dependent on not having cards slide around.

As for standard card games, Cribbage is a great game which plays 2-4 people. Rummy, Oh Hell, 500, and Euchre are also good standbys.

If you have room, the party games without boards like Taboo, Apples to Apples, Scattergories, and Outburst also work.

While I love Carcassone and Hey, Thats My Fish, I feel they aren't the best for traveling if one were to hit the brakes, take sharp turns, or hit bumpy roads, since with their tiles they can easily fall all over the place. Jambo is a great game, however has way too many bits and wouldn't consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinto wrote:
Even with a cooler and pillow, I guarantee there will be times where cards/bits will move/fall due to road conditions and traffic, so I agree with some of the aformentioned suggestions such as Travel Blokus, Travel Catan, Citadels, For Sale, Liar's Dice and possibly San Juan and Lost Cities (2 players for one game, four players for two). If you can play San Juan and Bang, you could also probably play Bohnanza, Mille Bornes, Guillotine and Loot, however are more dependent on not having cards slide around.

As for standard card games, Cribbage is a great game which plays 2-4 people. Rummy, Oh Hell, 500, and Euchre are also good standbys.

If you have room, the party games without boards like Taboo, Apples to Apples, Scattergories, and Outburst also work.

While I love Carcassone and Hey, Thats My Fish, I feel they aren't the best for traveling if one were to hit the brakes, take sharp turns, or hit bumpy roads, since with their tiles they can easily fall all over the place. Jambo is a great game, however has way too many bits and wouldn't consider it.

jambo would be great, it dosen't have too many bits really, you can always put ur money and wares in those plastic cups they give u on the plane. we play jambo on our bed all the time and it works fine. =) and for our europe trip it is what i am taking with me to play on the plane.

canal grand also works fine. and don't forget pickimino.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For you I wouldn't recommend San Juan as much. You have to have the cardboard roles as well as the fat stack of cards, and the resource production tiles. Lots of bits to knock everywhere....trust me it's happened(ah my tiles(esp role tiles get knocked everywhere and trading tiles). I would recommend Hera and Zeus without the wooden characters and just use coins to represent those. You can make the stacks real close to each other so they wont go everywhere. I'm seconding the catan travel edition as well as travel blokus. Also zigity, while not a gamers game, goes everywhere and is fun for quick play. One of those 3 in 1 magnetic games is great too(with like chess, checkers, backgammon), as those thing can get bumped like crazy and never move. Personally the best choices would be games without a lot of fiddly bits...and cards mainly or snapping in board games. Have a good time. Oh yeah settlers of catan card game could work also but forget the wood pieces, use some random things to represent the windmill and knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.