Escape: The Curse of the Temple» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game result: Seriously hammered! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
The title of this thread pretty much says it all. I played this first game solo, so there wasn't really much to negotiate. I read that the base game, without any extension module in, should be easy. Well, I got my butt kicked, or actually my head hammered, very hard. I wonder what it is I'm doing wrong. Also, besides the mistakes, I found it very hard to react to the dice results fast. Making combinations and use them properly seems to take me too long to either move around or activate gems quickly. I think you should try to search for a balance between these two, but in almust every one of the first 6 rooms I've been in, I needed a 4 of a kind (keys or scrolls to activate at least one gem. I also found myself 'cheating' several times with the results of the dice. Long story short: a combination of a bad overview of dice results, bad rolling luck and maybe not knowing how to speed things up made me suffer a brutal loss.

So, what to do? Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get at least one other player to play with and stick together.

Solo can be hard especially when trying to make the 4 dice combinations (with only 5 dice allowed). Plus you do not have anyone else to help unlock your dice when you get locked up.

As for the reaction to the dice rolls goes, with practice that will come faster. The first time my wife and I played, we barely got through half the tile stack. Now, after nearly 40 plays, we can do the base game set up in around 5 minutes. So we went from not finishing half the stack, to finishing in half the time allowed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's intense, and you have to react quickly to the dice rolls, it's true.

A few things to check though:
- The solo rules say to use 7 dice, not 5. Did you use 7? (You CAN use 5, but it makes it a lot harder).
- The solo rules also say to shuffle the exit tile somewhere into the whole deck, not just into the bottom 5 tiles, so in theory you'll get to it faster.

Suggestions: When playing with 7 dice, it's often easier to ignore the gong and just sacrifice a die each time than to travel all the way back to the start tile (and risk getting locked with all black masks along your way).

I concur with Murr, too. After more games, you'll get quicker at reacting and thinking "ooh, I can explore a new tile with that result" instead of "that's not the keys I was hoping for, I'll just re-roll them". Use the results opportunistically instead of always just re-rolling if you don't get exactly what you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest embracing the experience. My first play through was also solo, and the most exciting parts were racing back to the start square after the gong. Most plays, I find the third leg of the game to be anti-climatic. This game shines when I'm stressed, not when i'm winning.

But I agree with what others have said - you'll get faster with practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Rodríguez
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:

- The solo rules also say to shuffle the exit tile somewhere into the whole deck, not just into the bottom 5 tiles, so in theory you'll get to it faster.

Just to clarify that the solo rules say:
"If you're playing alone or with a second player, insert the exit tile in the middle of the draw pile"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FreddyTico wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:

Just to clarify that the solo rules say:
"If you're playing alone or with a second player, insert the exit tile in the middle of the draw pile"

Yes, good clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Rodríguez
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:

Yes, good clarification.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Well, I may have forgotten to put the exit tile in the middle, but even if I did, I couldn't have made it out. The dice (I used 7 of them, as instructed) were locking again and again every time. I had to spend those extra gems in no time to be able to throw any of them. Even with more dice, I just couldn't get the activation combinations very fast. I got 4 of a kind combinations to activate all over the place. Luck was totally against me, even with 7 dice.

Also, I'm realizing a little often too late that I'm cheating many times resolving the results of the rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you do just luck out. I played a solo game of this recently, with 5 dice, where I got completely locked 3 times within 5 minutes, thus ending (and losing) the game. I'd never had that happen before in a solo playthrough; it's just the luck of the rolls on the day.

If it's happening to you ALL THE TIME, then something else may be up (you're using one gold mask to unlock 2 black ones, right?), but if it's only occasionally (and your opening post implies it was only your first try solo) then just put it down to bad luck on the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You know you can set aside gold masks for later use, right? I often do this when playing so that I can immediately unlock black masks when they show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Rodríguez
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
You know you can set aside gold masks for later use, right? I often do this when playing so that I can immediately unlock black masks when they show up.

Same. I try to keep 2 or 3 gold masks in a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.