$15.00
$20.00
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Forget what you've seen in movies and on TV, the currency behind bars isn't cigarettes--it's ramen noodles.

"They'll kill for it": Ramen has become the black-market currency in American prisons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
WTAF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good decent food the prisoners can probably make for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Sad, actually, that prisoners' meals are being cut. Not saying every cell should have cable TV, a mini-fridge and air conditioning, but jeez, in a country this rich we ought to be able to feed our prisoners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the choice is mule carried Ramen or starvation....
I mean I usually bust up my ramen but this is ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
remorseless1 wrote:
Sad, actually, that prisoners' meals are being cut. Not saying every cell should have cable TV, a mini-fridge and air conditioning, but jeez, in a country this rich we ought to be able to feed our prisoners.

Ramen? How can a supposedly civilized nation...

Fer Christ sake give them their cigarettes back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Ramen? How can a supposedly civilized nation...

Fer Christ sake give them their cigarettes back.

I bought tons of that when I was young and broke. I have several packs in the pantry now. It's a great way to bulk out a meal, use eggs, onion, dried meats, etc and mealtime!

The article though, is shit. Like most WP articles and frankly, like most contemporary journalism. The study was at an unnamed prison and involved 60 people - guards and convicts. Most of the insider info appears to come from the Alvarez guy who is a two time loser and wants you to believe that even at $1 a pack in prison he was shocked to find prices higher on the outside. If that doesn't run the red flag up and scream bullshit then nothing will. Ramen noodles are .40 or less per pack. .50 apiece at convenience store and probably $1 each in those mythical food deserts.

I tried to find any reported killings that were Ramen related and guess what? There were none. At least not without a world-class Google search. What I got was not a surprise, the very same article almost word for word in 10 different news sites on page one. So it's a narrative, not a journalistic insight. Which underscores that anything that appears to be ridiculous -- like Ramen Prison Murders -- probably is ridiculous and that news is no longer news, it's just scores and even hundreds of web sites copy/pasting the same low information click-bait crap until it becomes a talking point for an anti-gun, pro-Ramen politician.

One of my gamer friends of several decades did 5 years out of 10 and is on parole right now. He's been out for 5 years and he has related on numerous occasions that state prisons and even county jails
serve meals that meet calorie and nutritional requirements from (I assume and he confirms) federal guidelines. He claims that even with the 2000 (?) calories per day (it may have been higher we discussed this several years ago) many people felt hungry. He's 6'2" and weighed 230 when he went in and was a lean 185 and in great shape when he got paroled. He ballooned up to 250 and has spent the last year shedding a whole 30 pounds. So he's just kind of fat now. Maybe prison diets aren't so bad? I don't know and certainly don't want to know. But this story truly is shit. There are enough problems with any prison system in the world, even the humane ones like ours without pretending that criminals are starving and killing each other over Ramen noodles.

Would you be more inclined to believe a convict? A journalist who believes 60 of them? An ex-con who wants you to think $2 is cheap for a pack of Ramen in Tijuana? I'm inclined to believe none of them and that this type of bullshit in a major news site serves only to occlude the real problems in America's prison system. Calories is not one of the problems.

The Ramen Murder Caper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.