25 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Review of Myth content in Recon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
I sometimes feel that we (I?) spend more time discussing the dramas and controversies around MCG, than on the games. This seems unfortunate, to put it mildly, because I’d sooner talk about the actual games than MCG themselves.

So I decided to have a closer look at the Myth stuff that came with Recon, and see what everyone else thought, and ask how you’ve been using it in your games.

I’ll state here that I just threw the Recon stuff in the closet, with a view to sell it one day. Trying to check whether I had everything I was supposed to get seemed more effort than it was worth – the Kickstarter shenanigans really killed the whole thing for me.

But I did want the Myth stuff, so here goes; my effort at a positive talking point.

What you get: There was a ‘Myth only’ level for about $40 I think, or you got the stuff with the basic Recon pledge. Weirdly, the stuff that came in the module ’Blood Contagion’ was also Myth-related, but wasn’t part of the ‘Myth pledge’ OR the base Recon pledge. Go figure, this is MCG remember.

So we get one new Hero, the Hunter, a Clockwork miniboss (X-3-ONE), and an agent, Inquisitor Alger. All the minis except the female Hunter are drawn from Recon. Plus whatever’s in the Blood Contagion box, which I’ll come to later.

Firstly, I was really looking forward to the Hunter, mostly for the female model. This is the pick of the litter all right, but not without issues. Firstly the models; they are beautiful, and the quality is similar to the original Myth stuff. The quality of the second wave of Recon stuff didn’t seem as appalling as the boxed sets, which really was dreadful. The Hunter has the same light grey plastic as the other heroes. The poses are very dynamic and action-orientated. The male version has a Geralt of Rivia vibe to him, with his ratty beard and pony-tail, taking aim with a crossbow. The female is posed shooting her hand crossbow to one side with a knife in the other hand, letting us see the detail of her bodice and gear. Her short hair and cute, but practical outfit makes this one look really nice. It was, however, a pain to fit them in the bases, something a which plagues the whole set. I loved that Myth figures weren’t in need of assembly (this is a pet peeve of mine; my partner paid for my Brimstone stuff to be professionally assembled and painted for my birthday, because he was sick of me whining about them).

I haven’t played the Hunter yet, but the concept intrigued me. The Hunter is our first Darkness Hero, foreshadowing Journeyman’s Outsider, and I was interested in how it played. The Hunter relies on Ammo like the Archer, but lacks the Archer’s ability to aim over enemies. They also have a ‘Mark’ mechanic, in which they can place a slain minion on the card to give combat bonuses against a certain monster type. All very cool and thematic.

Some of the cards are taken from the Archer – Tumble, Now You See Me, Pincushion – but these have new Hunter art, as well as the standard Hustle/Sprint and Ammo cards, which don’t. There’s a Reload card in the base deck. The two Mark of the Hunter cards accesses the ’Mark’ feature, adding more dice against the monster type depending on whether you have one or two Marks, allowing you to ‘load up’ for facing a Boss, perhaps. Some of their big-ticket attacks also use the Mark feature, or require one in play, like Alpha Predator, Hunters’ Flag, Scent of the Hunter and Hunter’s Doom (for such bonuses as extra damage, buffs to other heroes, swap the Mark to another monster type, or do Damage Over Time). For the others, Strider’s Edge is a moving attack, Fool’s Gambit and Hunter’s Reprisal are counterattacks (the latter is a Dodge too). They have a healing option in Cleanse, allowing the Hunter to clear Curse effects. Second Sight is intriguing, allowing play of a second Action card, and Fate Sealed adds to Courage tests and lets you choose a Fate dice roll. For the Novice upgrades, the Hunter gets two more Ammo (up to 6), another Reload, Death’s Blossom (spend all ammo to attack multiple targets, stacks with Pincushion) and Death’s Quickening (2 Damage Over Time per Mark in play).

The concept seems to be a more melee-orientated version of the Archer, swapping between ranged and melee attacks (most attacks are Range: Weapon). But this is hampered by our first real negative: the Hunter has no equipment cards. MCH unhelpfully say to use the other Hero’s cards, which pretty much means you have to use the Archer ones. This seems very lame and half-assed, as if the whole thing was an afterthought. Some helpful fans have come up with some thematic starting items (a substandard crossbow and knife), but the fans shouldn’t have to do MCG’s work for them. This sours me to the Hero a little – and in addition, my Hero chit was badly scuffed on the male side. Ugh.

All in all, an interesting addition, but for the lack of brown equipment (and by RAW, you’ll be playing 40+ hours to swap out all your starting gear, remember). I did wonder if the Hunter – as the first Darkness Hero – might have had more thematic ‘Darkness’ abilities, but that’s just a nit-pick, and I expect the real Darkness stuff is coming in Journeyman anyway.

Next we get Inquisitor Alger, the Agent, based on a Recon character like the male Hunter. He’s a subtle kind of agent, who hangs back and increases your threat, not a guy who likes to get in your face. All the other Agents are aggressive, so he makes a nice change. He has Confessor’s Call, a Ranged 5 attack that increases Threat by THREE for each success on 3 dice; could be nasty. Also, all Action cards played within 5 squares cost one more AP. Lastly, his Gloom Echo (one Darkness symbol from 5 fate dice) moves enemies 4 squares away, damaging them if they can’t move fully). This essentially means you really need to kill him quickly, but you have to do it from a distance. Defeating him yields the Master Tactician card, which is a Reaction that must be played first, and reduces the AP cost of an Action to zero.

All in all, a nice change of pace, but again, he’s a bugger to fit into his base slot.

The mini-boss is X-3-ONE, a big clockwork thing on a roller-ball armed with a claw and drill. Actually, he’s smaller than I expected he would be.

He hits hard in melee, as you’d expect, and his Salvage power has one attack for each item his target carries. He can take 7 hits, but needs a whopping FOUR successes (against target 3) to hurt him. Ouch. The Tinker only needs one to hit him though, so he’s pretty much a necessity without some hefty buffs or top-end gear. To make things worse, he can only take a max of 2 damage a round due to his Kelemite Core. He’s more vulnerable to Air attacks though. His KRSH attack (one Rage, four fate dice) causes a Hero to discard 3 cards or take 3 damage. ‘Directive 3’ (Guile/Rage on the 4 fate dice) causes 3 damage to every Hero within 3 spaces and moves him next to the one with the most gear. Finally, he buffs other clockworks, which will make him nasty in Journeyman, one assumes.

All in all, a nasty enemy, as you’d expect. However, he too doesn’t want to fit his base easily.

Lastly, we come to the Infected, Myth’s take on zombies. You get 4 with the Myth pledge (I was lucky to get 8 for some reason; I got doubles of all the models) and ten in the Blood Contagion box. They are Undead, fairly standard minions, and inflict the Infected status if they cause damage. This can spread to other Heroes who are close by, and prevents that Hero generating treasure.

Now, that strikes me as odd; it seems to ‘game-y’ to me. Why would zombies stop you getting treasure? A kind of Poison effect would seem more suitable, surely? I know Crawlers do that, but still, this feels odd and non-thematic. The models themselves are kind of bland too – they come with separated upper and lower bodies, and are excruciatingly hard to slot into the bases without shaving them. Lastly, they are meant to represent infected humans in Recon, but regular undead zombies in Myth… so they really just look like shabby humans wearing pants. The monsters of Myth are very characterful, having a cartoony, grotesque look to them… and these guys just don’t have that look. I imagine how great actual fantasy zombies would be in the Myth style – bits hanging off, wielding limbs as weapons, the whole nine yards. They just seem a bit.. bland, compared to the menagerie of horrors that make up the rest of the enemies in Myth. I get why, but it’s a missed opportunity, considering how classic zombies are. These just look too generic.

The Blood Contagion box adds 10 more zombies, plus nice little cardboard Infected counters and Undead lairs. Also, we get two new 6 x 6 tiles, showing the corner of a building and a well, and a merchant’s stall with items laid out on blankets. More tiles are always good, but why weren’t these in the Myth pledge?

Finally…. Blood Contagion came in a pizza box. Yeah, a fast food box. Mine was greasy, like it has the Infected condition, or had actually contained a pizza at some point. I don’t think I’m being picky that it looks cheap and horrible. Presentation matters, MCG, especially how sturdy and solid my original Myth boxes are. Please god, get better boxes for the Journeyman modules, because these look horrible. I know Recon was done on the cheap, but this looks shamefully tacky and nasty.

In summary – it’s MCG in a nutshell. If MCG were a Star Wars character, they’d be Boba Fett. He looks very cool, he has cool gadgets and everything about him looks so goddam cool… But he doesn’t do anything and gets killed (accidentally) by a blind man. Like most Myth stuff, the Recon add-ons are full of cool concepts, great ideas, but the execution leaves something to be desired. Even little things would have gone a long way to making this seem less half-assed.

Pros:
It all looks cool
Hunter models are gorgeous
More cool Myth tiles
Hunter card deck is a cool concept, as are the miniboss and agent
Did I mention everything looks really cool?

Cons:
No starting items makes the Hunter seem a bit of an afterthought, as it seriously needs its own items to realise the concept
None of the models fit the bases easily, and the zombies don’t fit them at all
Hunter chit is horribly scuffed 
Zombies look bland compared to Keith’s usual creepy monster art
Myth tiles have to be purchased separately, doesn’t come in the ‘Myth level’ or basic level for Recon
Blood Contagion comes in a pizza box. A freaking pizza box. Goddamit, MCG.

Anyway, hope this was useful to someone. It was nice to do something other than tear my hair out over MCG’s poor business practises and talk about the game again.

Please let me know if you’ve used this stuff or have any cool stories to tell about your Hunters.

Marcus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
In summary – it’s MCG in a nutshell. If MCG were a Star Wars character, they’d be Boba Fett. He looks very cool, he has cool gadgets and everything about him looks so goddam cool… But he doesn’t do anything and gets killed (accidentally) by a blind man. Like most Myth stuff, the Recon add-ons are full of cool concepts, great ideas, but the execution leaves something to be desired. Even little things would have gone a long way to making this seem less half-assed.

That... is a brilliant comparison for MCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you in just about every regard, except the pizza boxes.

I actually liked the pizza boxes. modest

Maybe I just got lucky with mine as it wasn't assaulted by a greasy pizza prior to arriving at my home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Great overview, I agree with all your points.

I choose to view the "zombie" effect as inflicting apathy; you generate the treasure but just don't care enough to pick it up or point it out, letting it fall unobserved and ungathered.

I played one 3-tile game so far with the Hunter paired with Spriggan, using a stick'n'twine and sharpened butterknife (with a virtual 2-slot quiver) as his starting gear. He felt like he had fewer attacks than I'd have liked but when I needed him to take out a lair he one-shotted it easily. Part of the issue was that the small group could control AP better resulting in a couple hero cycles per darkness activation, so his Interrupt cards were often discarded. I also found that I didn't need to use much ammo (not many attacks and most of the time he was adjacent to minions so he could get stabby). It just seemed odd when Spriggan did most of the heavy lifting in combat.

A single game is not enough to truly judge his balance, of course, but if the next goes the same way I'd be tempted to swap in our house-rule "Swift Kick" (a cheap, bonus-less attack) for one of Hunter's ammo cards, just so he/she is impotent a little less often.

Edit: I used an emery board when assembling these Recon figures and filing both sides of the tabs for a few seconds allowed them to fit into the slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall I think I agree with just about everything you said Marcus. Especially your analysis of the execution of ideas in Myth. I will say that slotting my guys was hit or miss. Some of them fit in pretty well and I was able to use some modeling tools that I had to push them into their bases. Other ones wouldn't fit even after being shaved quite a bit and ended up with warped bars. Oh well. I don't think it will look too bad once painted up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still annoyed the Hunter did not come with starting gear. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my write up about my impressions of playing the Hunter:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/22935509#22935509

She is tougher than she seems at first and can cause a great amount of damage, and has a varied deck of cards

(Scroll up to the first post in that thread, if you want to read about my choices for starting gear.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Blood Contagion pack and never even received it since they ran out, somehow got shorted, or some BS. Then they made it seem like they weren't even going to attempt to fulfill those orders and did not even offer a refund, so there's that. Ultimately it looks like they might fulfill them but at this point who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought KS lots (wasn't a KS supporter, didn't know about them) for both Myth and Mercs Recon, both of which I really like. I don't have the deep seated dissapointment KS backers might have for lateness of delivery since the moment I heard about the game it was buyable (at least on eBay).

That said, I painted all the Myth stuff and am currently painting the Mercs Recon stuff. My Myth stuff came assembled but not painted. Not sure if that is normal but the models seemed good looking and detailed. The Mercs Recon minis were easier to put together than some other games (Shadows of Brimstone, Space Hulk, AVP -- the worst --). The arms and legs are special shaped keys which seem to avoid a lot of bad assembly, though they don't include good instructions and the stuff on the website is marginal at best.

In general I'm not dissatisfied. So far the minis look decent painted. I have two pizza boxes to go (must be SMALL pizzaslaugh).

Anyway, I think he "production" quality of both games is really impressive. Mercs Recon has better instructions but still has some holes in the rules (CDD disks for instance). Myth is another animal entirely -- very tough to learn.

I haven't played the Hunter yet or the infected in Myth but I was glad to get them. It seems to me that both these games have a LOT of fun and replayability in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
[redacted; if it's a feature and not a bug!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
Ah, I stand corrected.

Seems... kinda fiddly to me, but if it's actually a feature and not a bug, I apologise unreservedly.

Thanks Jason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The new heroes use it a lot, the outsider or the swashbuckler. And it is introduced in the jm path of some of the base class too. It is really easy to handle the base rule actually does not change.

HC and DC are split, what you do in one of them does not influence what you do in the other (yet you must remember there might be multiple DC but the HC is "resumed" after a DC). They introduced some kind of counter in the JM boxes, a little token (with a lock on it), you play it on the first card you play during the HC to remember what kind of movement you chose to be during the whole HC when you "come back" from a DC. It is easier with the DC since you play it uninterrupted (not really sure if i am clear). You can se any kind of token to represent that, you don't have to wait for the one from the JM boxes. I usually don't need it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note that there is no middle ground during the DC, you can either be "no movement" or "agressive movement" if you play an interrupt card with the movement keyword. During a particular DC you cannot of course play a card that only have the no movement option + a card with the movement keyword, it works 100% the same as before.

There is no way to get "base mp" that could let you do prudent or full move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
Endevor wrote:
Note that there is no middle ground during the DC, you can either be "no movement" or "agressive movement" if you play an interrupt card with the movement keyword. During a particular DC you cannot of course play a card that only have the no movement option + a card with the movement keyword, it works 100% the same as before.

Soooo... if you play an Interrupt (during the Darkness Cycle obviously) you can choose to have 'no movement' or 'aggressive movement' for that DC... so you couldn't play cards that require both, say?

So it doesn't matter what movement you did during the previous Hero cycle? Do I have that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
Endevor wrote:

Soooo... if you play an Interrupt (during the Darkness Cycle obviously) you can choose to have 'no movement' or 'aggressive movement' for that DC... so you couldn't play cards that require both, say?

So it doesn't matter what movement you did during the previous Hero cycle? Do I have that right?

You have it right for the HC part.

But for the first sentence i don't understand what you are saying sorry.

There is no card that REQUIRE both, there is 3 types of interrupt cards.
Cards with just no move.
Cards with just agressive move.
Cards with both.
Obviously if the card says both no move and agressive move you can play them if you are in EITHER mode.
It works exactly like the move during the HC, except that since you don't have base mp you can't be in prudent or full move. To be in agressive move you have to play an interrupt card with the movement keyword (these cards obviously only have the agressive section exactly like the sprint or hustle cards) that put you in agressive move as soon as you play one, if you do that you can't play a card with just "no move" on it. And the opposite if you play a no move only during a DC you can't after that play Mouvement card IN THE SAME DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
A bit fiddly, but I think I get it! Thanks Endevor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endevor wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:
Endevor wrote:

You have it right for the HC part.

But for the first sentence i don't understand what you are saying sorry.

There is no card that REQUIRE both, there is 3 types of interrupt cards.
Cards with just no move.
Cards with just agressive move.
Cards with both.
Obviously if the card says both no move and agressive move you can play them if you are in EITHER mode.
It works exactly like the move during the HC, except that since you don't have base mp you can't be in prudent or full move. To be in agressive move you have to play an interrupt card with the movement keyword (these cards obviously only have the agressive section exactly like the sprint or hustle cards) that put you in agressive move as soon as you play one, if you do that you can't play a card with just "no move" on it. And the opposite if you play a no move only during a DC you can't after that play Mouvement card IN THE SAME DC.

This is somewhat counter-intuitive, since there may still be Interrupt cards (with DC movement type having been chosen) on the Hero board's Action spaces from a previous Darkness Cycle. Are you stating that each new Darkness Cycle (even if there are 2 or more within one Hero Cycle) resets the Darkness Cycle's movement choice?

Or does your movement choice for the Darkness Cycle last through multiple Darkness Cycles until the hero has a Refresh Phase? In other words, if there is more than one Darkness Cycle between two Refresh phases, does the movement choice for the Darkness Cycle remain the same? And if a Darkness Cycle is triggered during a Refresh Phase, does that Darkness Cycle count towards the movement chosen for any Darkness Cycles triggered during the following Hero Cycle? (Ignore all this if each Darkness Cycle is considered separately.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Counter intuitive? i don't think so.
1 cycle = 1 set of movement.

There is only one Hero Cycle but it can be interrupted by multiple DIFFERENT Darkness Cycles. Each cycle is his own entity. I find it easier to only have to track the movement made during the HC (long term). You don't have to do that for the DC, when you begin one you choose what you are going to do during THIS DC, you don't care about the other DCs and the HC. Way simpler for me and more straightforward. DCs can't be interrupted by other DCs (another one can trigger just after but it is another DC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
I wonder if introducing Darkness-cycle movement is a bit of an unnecessary complication, in a game that's not lacking in complications...

I assume it's to provide Heroes that are more mobile? Myth can be terribly static at times, considering most similar games allow you to both move and act in a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
I wonder if introducing Darkness-cycle movement is a bit of an unnecessary complication, in a game that's not lacking in complications...

I assume it's to provide Heroes that are more mobile? Myth can be terribly static at times, considering most similar games allow you to both move and act in a round.

That's what I thought at first: adding fiddliness and another thing to keep track of (remember, I usually play solo using 2,3, or 4 heroes). But I've played several tiles with the promo Hunter hero (along with the Acolyte) who has the "movement" Interrupt cards, and it wasn't a big deal once I figured out how they were intended to work (I got answers on the MCG forums, since the rules for those types of Interrupts will be in the Journeyman rules set, I guess, which hasn't arrived yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
msg tools
I agree with some points (the Pros) and disagree with a few (mostly all the Cons).

However, on the point of lots of Interrupt cards and throwing them away, when the new JM rules appear I think that will not be a problem (along with the apparent lack of attacks) as from memory, the Dual weilding rules make use of Interrupt cards during the HC to trigger the use of the off-hand weapon.

The biggest 'Con' I see with the Hunter is that MCG listened to the few and kept the character Exclusive, OK keep the figures exclusive - have a different model as non-exclusive, but by keeping the character exclusive you remove game play options and revenue options. KS exclusives which are not just cosmetic are always a bad thing IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to try the Hunter on the board at home and I have some community cards which gives me some dual wield weapons so maybe I'll get some useful insight into the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.