Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the game yet. Wanting to store everything in game box, don't have expansions yet. I'd like a box / ziplock bag to hand each player. I realize I may have to do both, 1 for cards and 1 for tokens. I've looked up various forum threads on this, but either they use their own made things or they're really big items made to fit all expansions. Also would be nice if someone knew what size they use, perhaps link to amazon for the size they use.
Cheaper is better.

Also off-topic question, should I get expansion before I even play base game? I bought Wizard's expansion for Castle Panic before playing from reviews and glad I did. Is SD good enough / improve game enough to buy it before playing the first time? I'd rather a great experience once than a mediocre one and then try to convince friends to play again with expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I own both of the expansions, but have played all three times with just the base game and loved every minute of it.

For storage I bag the ships in a larger ziplock by color. Then each race has one of those smaller "very useful boxes" which contain their tokens and their starting planet cards. People pick a color bag, and then after you choose races they grab the appropriate box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there welcome to a game that will eat you evenings with fabulousness!
(I love TI3 best game in my collection).

This is what I do:
- medium sized ziplock bag, each color of spaceship on its own
- medium sized ziplock bag, everything race specific, tokens, cards, etc. NOT including homeworlds.
- Homeworlds go into a large ziplock bag (we draw 2 and pick one when we play)
- the tech, political cards and jazz fit pretty neatly into the rectangular boxes in the faux box bottom
- racial play mats are stacked neatly.

Using this system you can pull a homeworld randomly, find the bag with all the racial items and grab another bag for your color of spaceship and you're most of the way to starting set up.

I have considered bagging the different system types separately to make drawing the correct number of empty, feature, planet hexes quicker.

This is a game where the better you organize it when you put it away the better it is for getting into it when you play.

For your second question, having played the game (and played it fairly often and regularly) I use aspects of every expansion in our games (ie.racial tech/flagship), and we don't use others (ie.leaders/distant suns) however when we first got the game we got the BASE GAME and played it about 3 times before buying the expansions, although I did find a copy of the Imperial 2 card and substituted it as we didn't like imperial 1 (and buy found one I mean I printed a copy of it on paper and then artistically folded it around the first one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jordan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything in one box. My organization is as follows.

Each color of ships has a bag with everything in it. I also have a large bag, containing smaller bags with all of the color specific cards.

Each race's tokens and cards are in baggies. The racial boards are stacked in the box. All of the homeworld and non-standard shaped tiles are in a large bag.

All cards are in individualized baggies by the function they serve in the game (actions, politics, objectives, etc.).

All tokens are in individual baggies according to their use (ground forces/shock troops, fighters, artifacts, etc.).

I have thought about going back and further separating some of the things I condensed down. Like, I have all objectives together regardless of type. I have also considered taking the bags of color-specific cards and putting them in the bags with the colored pieces.

Mostly, I have it set up so I can hand each player about 3 bags, and they will have everything they need for their race and color. I do this with most of my games, to make set up faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Serna
msg tools
For the race control and command counters, planet and racial tech(expansions) I use "small jewelry boxes" from the craft section at my local Wal-Mart, 6 for $3and I got 18 of em! I like it better than baggies. Everything else I have stored in bait&tackle organizers purchased in the camping section of Wal-Mart. But I hand each player a small box and an organizer with ships in it. Makes the table pretty clean. I do need a better solution for the hexes as they're just stacked in the box.
Edit:had the price of boxes wrong, got it right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.