Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that RR would be a good game to introduce at work. But my colleagues are not gamers and I was wondering if there was a way to simplify the game for the first time around. Any idea's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for the new edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Wait for the new edition?

That is exactly what I was going to say.

I hear that the machanic for the order of play has changed. It is now simpler: A tower broadcasting a signal. So whoever is closest goes first.

Apart from that, I think it's a pretty easy game for non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just use less card registers for programming if you feel you need to simplify it. I don't think you do though. Just use a single board with 2 flags and let them go wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Just use less card registers for programming if you feel you need to simplify it. I don't think you do though. Just use a single board with 2 flags and let them go wild.

You could also just simplify it to a last bot standing variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two flags, use the starting board plus one map board, leave out option cards, choose a board with relatively simple elements. If that's still too complex for them then this isn't the game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Two flags, use the starting board plus one map board, leave out option cards, choose a board with relatively simple elements. If that's still too complex for them then this isn't the game for them.

thumbsup to this.

The core mechanics of Robo Rally are really quite simple; it's the options, board elements, and figuring out how to plan your turn that are tricky.

Also, don't use the timer with new players (or ever, in my opinion).

matabulis wrote:
I hear that the machanic for the order of play has changed. It is now simpler: A tower broadcasting a signal. So whoever is closest goes first.

That is most definitely not simpler, especially since you could be equidistant and need a tie-breaker.

"Look at your card, high number goes first" is about as simple as you can get aside from having a "first player" marker that passes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
"Look at your card, high number goes first" is about as simple as you can get aside from having a "first player" marker that passes around.

It's simpler to resolve order based on something everyone can see (board location) than based on something only you can see (the number on your card isn't visible to someone across the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, have the path of the robots go "back and forth", such as racing to opposite side and back. This maximizes the overlap and chance for those behind to attack those ahead. *Don't* just have it a race in one direction, or some other setup that minimizes player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Also, have the path of the robots go "back and forth", such as racing to opposite side and back. This maximizes the overlap and chance for those behind to attack those ahead. *Don't* just have it a race in one direction, or some other setup that minimizes player interaction.

How does having more interaction make the game simpler to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

thumbsup to this.

The core mechanics of Robo Rally are really quite simple; it's the options, board elements, and figuring out how to plan your turn that are tricky.

Also, don't use the timer with new players (or ever, in my opinion).

My preferred way to use the timer is that the timer gets flipped when only one player is still programming. Anything they haven't programmed at that point becomes random plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

It's simpler to resolve order based on something everyone can see (board location) than based on something only you can see (the number on your card isn't visible to someone across the table).

Clearly, we disagree on this.

I think once you are already needing to talk to coordinate who moves first, announcing the number is almost no extra effort. And I think "faster card goes first" makes a lot of thematic sense.

jsdougan wrote:
My preferred way to use the timer is that the timer gets flipped when only one player is still programming. Anything they haven't programmed at that point becomes random plays.

My big problem with the timer is that normally, we have the dealer deal to the newer (and likely slower) players first, so they can have more time to program. However, this would be very unfair to the dealer if she has to start programming last with a timer mechanic. So the only fair way to do it with a timer is deal all the cards and then have everyone start looking at them and programming at the same time, which in my experience winds up taking LONGER than if you weren't using the timer.

My second problem is that generally in Robo Rally, if you are in a good situation and get good cards, programming is very easy. If you are in a place and get bad cards, programming is hard. So a timer mostly just screws over the people who are already having bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are up for another suggestion instead, have you considered introducing Colt Express?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Thanks. This sounds like the best option. I need to go through the boards and pick the simplest one I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been my experience that deciding which card goes first is not a frequent issue. Your mileage may vary, of course. I have found that all robots can move simultaneously about 90% of the time. When robots are close to each other, it's pretty obvious that they could potentially interact. In that case, just back up and execute them in the order of the number on the card. Heck, you don't even need to look at the number when one robot is moving faster than another.

The game is just fine the way it is. Just use a simple board and no timer with noobies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

How does having more interaction make the game simpler to play?

Simpler? Nope. But more fun.

As a side note, it took me a while to recognize that while I (and my most frequent Robo Rally partner/opponent) enjoyed solving the puzzles presented by the complex boards, they do tend to reduce player interaction - which is really where a lot of the fun comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.