18 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Graphic Design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Am I the only one who thinks the graphic design in this game looks bloody terrible?

They look so . . . amateurish! The boring giant black bottom with white text. The dreadfully ugly orange glow and tacky frame. The stark white banner for the names. There is nothing interesting or unique to the design. You can provide functionality in a creative way, but I get the sense that their graphic designer doesn't have a lot of experience. I really hope it's not final, but Guild Ball suffers from some poor graphic design as well, so this is probably what we're stuck with. Shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not the only one, but it does say "work in progress version" so there's hope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I guess it's serviceable but yeah I would like to see it improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say - I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm with you, this looks like a fair-to-middling video game from the late 90s, not a bitchen boardgame from now.

I do hope they revisit this and give it a redo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, looks bad. I'm expecting them to fix it though. That's what they had up during the kickstarter, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Steamforged please revisit these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The polygon article has what looks like updated artwork:

It looks nicer but it seems to be lacking some of the clarity that the KS version had. From what I've seen of the campaign, almost everything is either prerenders or prototype. I'm sure the final design will look way better on everything (it seems like each convention the prototype looks better and better).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not expecting anything to be final yet, so not overly concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Use some of my Kick money to hire a professional graphic designer, please Steamforged. Please fire your uncle Jim. I don't care if he said he had mad Microsoft Paint skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael lee
United States
vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also not red green colorblind friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it. I've seen worse. Orange borders are cool, the effects are easy to read and to see once you get to understand the symbols. The text box is too big but it helps visibility.

I don't like the latest version, which seems too crowded and nerdy with all these symbols that don't make sense.

It could get some improvement, but I like the template. It's different from the average card game template, and the amateurish photoshop "drawn by a kid" template you can get on other kickstarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I've seen worse.

A fan of Firefly and deckbuilders,, are we? laugh

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3117312/legendary-encounters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
I've seen worse.

A fan of Firefly and deckbuilders,, are we? laugh

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3117312/legendary-encounters...

I was thinking about that actually : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hrg/vikingstm-raid-and-...

But boy, now I've actually seen worse today! My eyes robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
Herten
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, "work in progress" I think it's still bound to evolve. It's not horrible though. Seems they are going for a minimalistic and kind of drab approach? Souls like?

However, the main problem for me is the use of ingame art, or rather screenshots. With many board adaptions of games, movies or series. The Vikings kickstarter above is a good example. It's just ends up looking boring or, in the worst case, even stupid.
Ok, the firefly deckbuilder on the other hand is a great example of not using screenshots and promo art going kinda wrong D:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Glarkus wrote:
Yes, "work in progress" I think it's still bound to evolve. It's not horrible though. Seems they are going for a minimalistic and kind of drab approach? Souls like?

However, the main problem for me is the use of ingame art, or rather screenshots. With many board adaptions of games, movies or series. The Vikings kickstarter above is a good example. It's just ends up looking boring or, in the worst case, even stupid.
Ok, the firefly deckbuilder on the other hand is a great example of not using screenshots and promo art going kinda wrong D:

Yeah, I find screenshots a little crappy as well. If they have the license then they should seriously hit up the concept artists. I bet those dudes have some great stuff just sitting around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Im not finding the graphic design that bad, but I would rather they put the movement and attack out in text like "the dancer moves 2 nodes towards the closest character and attack" than putting in a ton of symbols to dechiffre instead..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the large amount of money raised plus the access to a world of good graphic designers anything other than excellent isn't really acceptable. Their update is better, but it seems like they need to iterate more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.