Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Which to buy, Star Trek Frontier or Ascendancy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mickey foto
Canada
flag msg tools
Debating myself which to get.
I'm a season player in Star-Trek Attack wing (ship combat game) & would like to get one of 2 to play amount my star-trek friends.

Knowing Frontier using Mage War system, it assume a more mature play system. Love the idea of solo play.

Which has more replay value ? And not overly complicated.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ascendancy doesn't support 2-player play. However, Ascendancy has the benefit of not being a WizKids game, so you're not supporting a terrible company when you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools

Well...

Ascendancy;
No official solo play rule set,
No official two player variant either
Not really a combat game per se, it has it, but it's fairly rudimentary when compared to Attack Wing. It's a crisp system with a swingy element of randomness due to dice, which is mitigated by research/advancement/etc.
Has very clean rules, while complicated, I'd put it on same level as say Scythe, there ARE rules, but they're easy to grasp.

Frontier;
It's mage knight. Do you like Mage Knight? If you do, then Frontier takes that into space.
Purely as an opinion and as someone that played a great deal of mage knight, I would say mage knight is up there in terms of complexity, like WAY up there. It has rules, on top of rules, on top of them there are reference sheets, followed by another set of rules. Out of my gaming group, there is literally one person that can actually penetrate it enough to play it with me. After a while, the game feels like a puzzle you're solving, which I admit is satisfying. I would almost never want to teach that game. I actually think it's a terrible multiplayer game, the downtime is near criminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Fleet Captains plays with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same question a couple of days ago. After looking at various videos and threads, I decide to pre-order Ascendancy because of the following:

1) Ascendancy has simpler, easier to teach rule.
2) Ascendancy plays faster.
3) Ascendancy has better player interactions.
4) While officially not supporting two players mode, some players here have played with two and found it works.

I guess, it depends on what you are looking for from the games. You might seek different things than I do, but I hope my considerations above can be of help!

Now, the question is: when will this darn game arrive at my door?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey foto
Canada
flag msg tools
Oops to all, overlooked Ascendancy for 3 players.

Thanks for pointing that out :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey foto
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks WD, will re-visit the reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
fotomickey wrote:
Debating myself which to get.
I'm a season player in Star-Trek Attack wing (ship combat game) & would like to get one of 2 to play amount my star-trek friends.

Ascendancy only plays 3 player right now, eventually more, but it doesn't play 2 player.
Quote:
And not overly complicated.

Frontiers is definitely complicated, and not suitable for more casual gamers. I also think Star Trek: Fleet Captains may be game you're looking for. It is fairly involved, but the mass of rules comes from defining all the various things you can do, and none of them are overly complicated.

All of these games are similarly priced as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey foto
Canada
flag msg tools
Oh well, I'll reconsider myself. Thanks Kain

Dark63 wrote:

Well...

Ascendancy;
No official solo play rule set,
No official two player variant either
Not really a combat game per se, it has it, but it's fairly rudimentary when compared to Attack Wing. It's a crisp system with a swingy element of randomness due to dice, which is mitigated by research/advancement/etc.
Has very clean rules, while complicated, I'd put it on same level as say Scythe, there ARE rules, but they're easy to grasp.

Frontier;
It's mage knight. Do you like Mage Knight? If you do, then Frontier takes that into space.
Purely as an opinion and as someone that played a great deal of mage knight, I would say mage knight is up there in terms of complexity, like WAY up there. It has rules, on top of rules, on top of them there are reference sheets, followed by another set of rules. Out of my gaming group, there is literally one person that can actually penetrate it enough to play it with me. After a while, the game feels like a puzzle you're solving, which I admit is satisfying. I would almost never want to teach that game. I actually think it's a terrible multiplayer game, the downtime is near criminal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
Star Trek Fleet Captains plays with two.

Yep, and in my opinion, it has much more of a Star Trek theme than Ascendancy gives. I really like Ascendancy, but I have to admit the flavor only comes out in the exploration cards, and that's not enough to really feel immersed in the universe for me. Great game, but Fleet Captains wins in regards to having a more robust theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
4) While officially not supporting two players mode, some players here have played with two and found it works.

It does, but it frequently has a runaway leader problem. The game can be effectively won with an hour or so left to grind out the inevitable winner. The third player is necessary to keep the race consistently tighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Plus Ascendancy will have expansions and already has 3 years of planned support. We don't know what Frontiers has, if anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll throw-in another vote for Fleet Captains. I have Frontiers and I like it a lot. And after playing Ascendancy at Gen Con, I pre-ordered it from Cool Stuff. Looking forward to that very much, also.

But still, none of them hold a flame to Fleet Captains.

Fleet Captains is much more thematic then either of the other two, hands down. No contest. And it plays from two to four - with or without the expansions. Though playing with the expansions provides a much better 3+ player experience.

It's only shortcoming is it's not very good (if at all) for solo play). So that's why I bought Frontiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
For an opposing view.
I hated Fleet captains.
The models are downright crappy. Many of them broke straight out of the packaging and either had to be repaired or replaced.
Everything is unpainted (some like that, I hate it at that scale.)
It's such a rule heavy and intensive game that all players have to dedicate time just to learning it.
Many of the clix had to be sanded or bent just to turn.
The lack of art sucked.
The factions never felt quite right to me.
Etc.
I hated it, only played a couple of games, and sold it.

I know a lot of people feel differently, but I thought you might like the other side of the coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

John presents fair criticisms of the components. And if you are to judge gameplay only by the components that come in the box, then so be it. If I did, I would agree with him.

Despite the component issues, I find the thematic element of the gameplay to be incredibly immersive.

And its rules aren't any more complex than those for Frontiers are Ascendancy. As opposed to John's equally valid opinion (only because everyone's got one!), my opinion is that they're actually simpler. Something to think about when selecting a Star Trek game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.