Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions on monster movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I have a few questions related to monster movement in the following scenario: If the text says "move monster 3 spaces toward the investigator with the lowest observation within range":

1) Investigator 1 has the lowest observation but is not in range due to a doorway, Investigator 2 has higher observation but is in range. I assume the monster would not move toward investigator 1, but would it move toward investigator 2 or do I hit 'no investigators within range'?

2) If the monster is only 1 space away from the investigator and can only move 2 spaces total because of a wall, does the monster move 2 spaces only? And in general, does the monster always move even if the 3 spaces actually take it further from the investigator? I assume so but it seems counter-intuitive.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It would move toward investigator 2.

2) It probably said (or should say) up to 3 spaces, so it would stop when it reaches the investigator.

Also, generally when something moves towards something it must close the distance with every move e.g. not move away from (look up "towards" in the rules reference).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mcleod
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
For issue #1 i would say the monster would go through the door tbh

If monsters are always chasing monsters within range (i.e. Within the room) then the idea of baricades is basically useless if monsters are staying in rooms and not moving between lol

Another of the games wrinkles here i guess and its open to interpretation
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
RyanMcleod wrote:
For issue #1 i would say the monster would go through the door tbh


There are a different wordings though. 'A monsters moves X spaces towards investigator in range' vs 'A monster moves Y spaces towards investigator'.

The first usually happens first and includes an attack, the second one as a second action for monster if no investigators were in range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMcleod wrote:
For issue #1 i would say the monster would go through the door tbh

If monsters are always chasing monsters within range (i.e. Within the room) then the idea of baricades is basically useless if monsters are staying in rooms and not moving between lol

Another of the games wrinkles here i guess and its open to interpretation


What's missing here is what the instructions were for what to do if no investigator is in range (I assume that the app did issue such instructions). Normally, such an instruction would be something like to move to 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator (without mentioning range).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
What's missing here is what the instructions were for what to do if no investigator is in range (I assume that the app did issue such instructions). Normally, such an instruction would be something like to move to 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator (without mentioning range).


We've played that if there are no investigators in range then the monster doesn't move. Monster looks for a target to attack, but doesn't find any, so it does nothing. Clicking 'No investigator in range' usually leads to instructions to move the monster towards nearest investigator (without mentioning range).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
RyanMcleod wrote:
For issue #1 i would say the monster would go through the door tbh

If monsters are always chasing monsters within range (i.e. Within the room) then the idea of baricades is basically useless if monsters are staying in rooms and not moving between lol

Another of the games wrinkles here i guess and its open to interpretation


Some monsters say "Within range" signifying that the monster goes after enemies that it can see.... If there's nothing "within range" you say that it can't see anything, and it always says that it instead moves toward XXXYYY criteria, but then range usually doesn't factor in.

Other monsters move toward enemies within spaces, then doors don't block anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
RyanMcleod wrote:
For issue #1 i would say the monster would go through the door tbh

If monsters are always chasing monsters within range (i.e. Within the room) then the idea of baricades is basically useless if monsters are staying in rooms and not moving between lol

Another of the games wrinkles here i guess and its open to interpretation


What's missing here is what the instructions were for what to do if no investigator is in range (I assume that the app did issue such instructions). Normally, such an instruction would be something like to move to 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator (without mentioning range).



We had the monster attack investigator #2, but in other cases we were next instructed to move the monster 3 spaces toward the investigator.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.