GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fleet Commander: Nimitz» Forums » General

Subject: Resolving Battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmb
As I'm working my way through the 1942 campaign for the first time, the directions don't say (unless I missed it) anywhere that I'm limited to where I can place units for battle, except Japan and East Asia. If I'm reading that correctly I could conceivably send a US force to Japan and stop the entire stack that is sitting on Japan because there is both US and Japanese forces in the same area....am I reading that right? Seems like to big of a loophole to not be addressed somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad idea, someone posted a similar question, can't find it unfortunately, but you would be getting isolated soon (out of supply and all that).

I don't own the game btw, still on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aml29 wrote:
except Japan and East Asia.

How do you move forces to Japan? You can target the spaces outside to limit some advancement orders though, ie. pinning and using subs works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you can move wherever you like. All the way to Japan if you want. But as already mentioned, you have supply issues. Also, it doesn't score you any points as there is no objective in Japan.

Not sure how it is a loophole when you score nothing and gain nothing from doing it.

I guess you can arguably have an epic battle and conceivably limit their forces, but you move before they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Movement section the Prohibited Areas first sentence exclude US forces moving to Japan and East Asia (pg8).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmb
I don't think I am clear...I can go anywhere but Japan and East Asia. With that in mind, I could go to Okinawa with one ship and basically hold up an entire stack of ships because the Japanese would have to resolve the battle.

As far as supply, the unit is more or less on a suicide trip because there would be no plan to save him, his sole purpose would be to basically hold up the Japanese fleet. That honestly takes away from the spirit of the game, but a major oversight as far as design of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships can move out from locations with US Forces unless the order includes moving to a closest US force location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.