Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
No this is not about a tasteless re-theme of our beloved wizard dueling beer and pretzels game, this thread spawned out of this first question, but then I was curious so I figured I'd ask the second one as well:

1. Does anyone have any information on how to acquire the Chinese edition of Wiz-War?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/166902/wargames-c...

I am asking because I'd like to purchase the Chinese Edition to use it's box (and why not have extra cards, miniatures and whatever else!) as the storage container for my slowly-getting-pimped-out version. I followed the link posted above and to the website listed there but it gives a 404 error and I do not read/speak/understand Chinese.

---------

2. To what lengths have you pimped out your copy of Wiz-War?

I expect the common answer would be painting the miniatures, which is fine. I am in the process of having all 16 miniatures painted and they are turning out well!

Beyond painting, how else have you all pimped your copy? Maybe it's custom insert, or 3d printed treasure tokens, or even having gone as far as making an entirely new game board, IE:

http://www.hirstarts.com/wizwar/wizwar.html

I'm looking for ideas/fascinated by the idea for continuing to turn my copy of Wiz-War into a premium version reminiscent of what people would do with the older version. I've been enamored with the customization of the rules and the overall game play, so I imagine that has translated into some interesting ideas for the components or even the box itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pimp-War
I have aspirations to make custom boards using the Hirst molds. Those aspirations may never happen, so in the mean time - I bought transparent colored D4s for each of the wizards. Simple, effective, and inexpensive.

Of course, everything is already painted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewcula wrote:
I have aspirations to make custom boards using the Hirst molds. Those aspirations may never happen, so in the mean time - I bought transparent colored D4s for each of the wizards. Simple, effective, and inexpensive.

Of course, everything is already painted

Yeah! I wanted to make custom boards using Hirst molds as well, and even going as far as making all the little custom pieces like he shows in this tutorial:

http://www.hirstarts.com/tips25/tips25.html

Man, I even want to go find a smaller sized "treasure" chest and customize it to be the "game box."

Maybe that's taking things too far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I've done so far is paint all the mini's from main and both exp. and ordered & painted up 3D printed chests.

Those are some really cool ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know what 3D chest's you're talking about.

I'm definitely going to get those and have them painted at some point. I'm starting a family soon and as my kids grow older I think it would really impress on their imagination to be able to play with "dad's old wizard game."

Maybe I'm just wishful thinking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a clue as to how you would go about acquiring a chinese version of the game. I wasn't even aware that they existed.

As far as pimping out my copy. I've added a bunch of components to my box for when I want to play a variant version. The Zombie Dice variant is probably the variant we play with the most. It just requires a copy of Zombie Dice; although, I've stocked enough dice for everyone to have their own set.

I enjoy tinkering with the rules and creating variants to try out. I think Wiz-War is one of the best games in existence for people that like to create variants and to tinker with the rules of the game.

I'd like to point out that variant rules really do need to be explained clearly prior to play and should be written down. If a variant rule is not written down, then standard rules apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

I enjoy tinkering with the rules and creating variants to try out. I think Wiz-War is one of the best games in existence for people that like to create variants and to tinker with the rules of the game.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Beyond just customizing the components, customizing the very game itself seems to be not all that difficult. The game really lends itself nicely to variants, tweaks, and even major overhauls.

I've got a copy of Ghost Stories coming soon. I'm going to find a way to combine both games using the Wiz-War board, cards, and life dials and make it more of an arcade "tower defense" co-op. Should be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Jira
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What lengths have I gone to pimp my copy?

* New chessex dice of each color.
* Wizard models from Games Workshop, 8 different models. (2 empire wizards, dark elf witch sorceress, skaven plague priest, skink star priest, beast men bray shaman, chaos wizard, undead necromancer)
* New bases for the figs that will hold a chest magnetically.
* Enough Hirst arts boards for 4 players (Includes doors, chests, created walls)
* Colored 3D portals
* 3D bits for each permanent token (rose bush, thorn bush, dust cloud, bear trap, prismatic cloud, handful of tacks, wall of fire, locked door, etc.)
* clear acrylic circular coin holder for the circular tokens.
* Spellbook card tuck boxes for each school that I found on a blog. That blog also had some other wiz war pep accessories that I ended up using too.
* a treasure chest game box from Jo-Ann's fabrics to hold everything in. (the largest they carry) rejigged with foam core inserts to keep everything organized.
* All models painted.

I would redo the cards, but I like the FFG cards too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaijuotaku wrote:
What lengths have I gone to pimp my copy?

* New chessex dice of each color.
* Wizard models from Games Workshop, 8 different models. (2 empire wizards, dark elf witch sorceress, skaven plague priest, skink star priest, beast men bray shaman, chaos wizard, undead necromancer)
* New bases for the figs that will hold a chest magnetically.
* Enough Hirst arts boards for 4 players (Includes doors, chests, created walls)
* Colored 3D portals
* 3D bits for each permanent token (rose bush, thorn bush, dust cloud, bear trap, prismatic cloud, handful of tacks, wall of fire, locked door, etc.)
* clear acrylic circular coin holder for the circular tokens.
* Spellbook card tuck boxes for each school that I found on a blog. That blog also had some other wiz war pep accessories that I ended up using too.
* a treasure chest game box from Jo-Ann's fabrics to hold everything in. (the largest they carry) rejigged with foam core inserts to keep everything organized.
* All models painted.

I would redo the cards, but I like the FFG cards too much.

Alright, I think we all need pictures of this because it sounds wicked cool! Especially with the Jo-Ann's chest and the Hirst arts boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.