Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: 8 new factions: Mayans, Slimes, Scientists... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan G
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a certain time now, and just decided to share with you my creation : 8 factions.
I already playtested them all for around 5-10 games each, of course this is not enough, but Smash up is far from balanced already, the idea was to add more variety and fun new gimmicks.
Of those 8, 2 of them (Egyptians and Elves) are inspired (or re/designed) concepts from this forum.
Sorry for the language, I'm designing the cards in French for my playgroup:

For all the artists out there, I didn't put any credits on the cards since it was initially for personal use. Will remove pictures asap if necessary.

The World Mythology bundle
---------------

Mayans
---------------
-Average power, deck/hand manipulation
-Gimmick: revealing cards to trigger effects, VP gain
-Inspired by mesoamerican mythology
Minions
-High prophet (5) x1 - Talent: Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Place them on the top and/or bottom of your deck in any order.
-Jaguar warrior (4) x2 - Ongoing: If a minion card is revealed from any deck, you may move this minion to another base.
-Old shaman (3) x3 - You may reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Return them to the top of your deck in any order.
-Dancer (2) x4 - Special: If this card is revealed from your deck, draw it and reveal another card instead.
Actions
-Shamanism x2 - Discard a card then draw a card. You may play an extra action.
-To Xibalba! x2 - Discard your hand then draw 5 cards. Each of your minions gains +1 Power until the end of your turn.
-Premonitions x1 - Reveal the top 3 cards of each player's deck.
-Rite x1 - Name a card and reveal the top 4 cards from your deck. If one copy of the named card is revealed, draw all revealed cards, otherwise place those cards in the discard pile.
-Ball game x1 - Another player of your choice must play a minion or reveal his or her hand to show he or she have no minions. You may play an extra minion.
-Quetzalcoatl spirit x1 - Shuffle this card in your deck. Special: If you reveal this card from your deck, gain 1 VP.
-Great ceremony x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: After the base scores the winner must give you 1 VP, if you have at least one minion here.
-Calendar x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: At the start of your turn, place a +1 Power counter here. Special: After the base scores, if this card has 3 +1 Power counter, gain 1 VP.
Bases
-Mystic jungle (5/3/1) 26 - When this base is revealed, move all Minions of Power 3 or less on this Base.
-Ancient temples (3/2/1) 20 - After playing a Minion here, the active player reveals the next 2 cards of his deck.

Egyptians
-----Design here-----
-Average power, offense/debuff
-Gimmick: debuff enemies' minions and neutralize powers
-Inspired by kadavriak's Egyptians, loved the idea, added more lore to it!
Minions
-Pharaoh (5) x1 - Ongoing: Minions here with less Power than the Pharaoh lose its abilities.
-Sphinx (4) x2 - Ongoing: If a Minion is played or moved here, reduce its Power by 2 until the end of the turn.
-Scarab (3) x3 - Ongoing: The Scarab gains +2 Power if another Minion of Power 1 or less is here.
-Mummy (2) x4 - Talent: Reduce the Power of another Minion by 1 until the start of your turn.
Actions
-Curse x2 - Play on a Minion. This Minion has -1 Power and loses its ability.
-Mummification x2 - Destroy a Minion of Power 2 or less to play an extra Minion of Power 2 or less from your discard pile.
-Quicksand x1 - Place a minion of Power 3 or less on the bottom of their owner's deck. You may play an action played on it as an extra action.
-Sarcophagus x1 - Search your deck for a card and reveal it. Shuffle your deck and place it on top.
-Sandstorm x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Other players have 3 less power on this base.
-Anubis' Grasp x1 - Until the start of your next turn, all opponents' Minions lose their ability.
-Ra's Wrath x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: All opponents' Minions on this Base have -2 Power.
-Isis' Justice x1 - Name 2 factions. Until the end of your turn, The first named faction's Minions have -1 Power and the other faction's Minions have +1 Power.
Bases
-Otherworld (5/3/2) 24 - Power gain and loss on this Base, except +1 Power counter, are inverted.
-Pyramids (3/2/1) 20 - Before this base scores, each players may play a Minion from their discard pile.

Atlanteans
-----Design here-----
-Just below average power, heavy hand manipulation
-Gimmick: increased hand, effects with more cards
-Inspired by various seafolk and the Abyss board game, doesnt really have anything related to Atlantis...
Minions
-Ocean king (4) x1 - Ongoing: Your hand limit is increased by 3.
-Lady of the sea (4) x2 - Ongoing: This Minion has +2 Power if you have more than 8 cards in hand.
-Abyssal monster (3) x3 - Special: You may play this Minion when a Base is revealed. Only one abbysal monster effect per Base.
-Ally of the deep (2) x4 - Draw a card. Ongoing: Your hand limit is increased by 1.
Actions
-Power spike x2 - Play an extra Action OR draw a card. You may activate this effect again if you have 10 or more cards in hand.
-Council x2 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Your total Power on this Base is increased by the number of cards in your hand minus 7.
-Location control x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: At the start of your turn, if you have at least 3 Minions here and 6 cards in hand, reduce its breakpoint to 0.
-Crab strength x1 - Discard 2 cards to increase the Power of a Minion by 4 until the end of the turn.
-Shell charisma x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Draw an extra card at the end of your turn.
-Squid intelligence x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Your hand limit is increased by 2.
-Seahorse wisdom x1 - If you have at least 10 cards in hand, gain a VP and place this card on the bottom of your deck.
-Jellyfish dexterity x1 - Discard 2 cards to play an extra Minion.
Bases
-Atlantis (4/3/2) 22 - After this base scores, the winner can discard one of their Minion played on another Base to gain half its base Power in VP (rounded down).
-Abyss (4/2/1) 24 - Minions with a printed Power of 3 are considered with a Power of 6 here.

The Bad Science bundle
---------------

Pandemic
---------------
-Just below average power, power counter
-Gimmick: negative power counter, heavy power debuff/management
-Inspired by the board game Pandemic and general end of the world pop culture
Minions
-Mad cow (4) x1 - Talent: Place a -1 Power counter on another Minion.
-Infected chicken (4) x2 - Talent: If this Minion's Power is above 0, add a -1 Power counter on it to play an extra Minion.
-Big mosquito (3) x3 - Ongoing: This Minion is not affected by the negative effects of Power counters and Action played on it.
-Sewer rat (2) x4 - Place a -1 Power counter on a Minion.
Actions
-Plague x2 - Play up to 2 extra Minion with the same name and place a -1 Power counter on each.
-Propagation x2 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: After this base scores, move up to 3 -1 Power counters from this Base to Minions of your choice.
-Infection x1 - Place 3 -1 Power counters on a Minion.
-Mutation x1 - Choose a Base. All your Minion here gain Power equal to their -1 Power counters. Special: You can play this card before the base scores.
-Contamination x1 - Choose a Minion. Place a -1 Power counter on another Minion for each -1 Power counter on the selected Minion.
-Cure x1 - Play on a Minion. Ongoing: This Minion is not affected by the negative effects of Power counters.
-Rage x1 - Play on a Minion. Ongoing: At the end of your turn, place -1 Power counter on a Minion here.
-Spread x1 - Choose a Base. Place a -1 Power counter on all Minions here.
Bases
-Quarantine area (3/4/3) 16 - When scoring points, each player except the winner substract their number of Minions here to its VP gain.
-Last Hope (4/3/2) 22 - Before this base scores, discard all Minions with Actions or Power counters on it.

Scientists
---------------
-Just above average power, powerhouse
-Gimmick: huge power with drawbacks/instabilities
-Inspired by the SCP foundation and sci-fi horror movies/games
Minions
-CSP-173 (5) x1 - Talent: Move this Minion to destroy a Minion of Power 3 or less, then discard a Minion card.
-The phenomenon (4) x1 - Talent: This Minion's Power is equal to the total Power of the Minion of your choice until the end of your turn, then discard a card.
-CSP-682(4) x1 - Ongoing: This Minion cannot be destroyed. At the start of your turn, place a +1 Power counter on this Minion, then discard a Minion card if it has more than 2.
-Supervisor (3) x3 - Ongoing: You may avoid discarding cards once per turn.
-Test subject (2) x4 - Special: If this Minion is discarded from the game or your hand, you may draw a card.
Actions
-Increased surveillance x2 - Draw a card. You may avoid discarding cards until the end of your turn.
-Logs x2 - Draw 3 cards and discard 2.
-Lockdown x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Minions cannot be moved from or to this Base. Discard this card at the start of your turn.
-Teleporter x1 - Move one of your Minion, even if it could not be moved. Discard an Action card.
-Gravity pistol x1 - Return a Minion to its owner's hand. Discard an Action card.
-Nuclear fusion x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: At the end of your turn, place a +1 Power counter on this card. If it has at least 3 Power counters, swap this Base with a new one and destroy all Minions and Actions here.
-Open the cells x1 - You may play an extra Minion and/or Action. Discard a card.
-CSP-914 x1 - Play on a Minion. Talent: Place or remove a +1 Power counter on this Minion.
Bases
-The Foundation (5/3/2) 30 - The active player may add a +1 Power counter on this Base to reduce its breakpoint by 1 for each counter here.
-Keter zone (4/3/2) 12 - Playing or moving a Minion here of Power 3 or less costs and requires 1 VP.

As the third faction of this bundle, I just reworked the design of desocupado's Hackers. If you read me: very inspiring work, keep it up!

The High Fantasy bundle
---------------

Sandwurms
---------------
-Just below average power, stealth power
-Gimmick: play face down and reveal abilities when needed (note: revealing a minion from face down applies its ability)
-Inspired by Dune (duh)
Minions
-The creator (6) x1 - Ongoing: You may play all your Minions face down for a Power of 2. Special: You may play this Minion face down for a Power of 2.
-Colossal worm (4) x2 - If this Minion was face down, destroy a Minion of Power 4 or less here. Special: You may play this Minion face down for a Power of 2.
-Needlessly large worm (3) x3 - If this Minion was face down, it gains +1 Power until the end of the turn. Special: You may play this Minion face down for a Power of 2.
-Plankton (1) x4 - Talent: Reveal a face down Minion or return Plankton to your hand to play an extra Minion face down for a Power of 2.
Actions
-Hole x2 - Play an extra Minion face down for a Power of 2.
-Fresh air x2 - Reveal a face down Minion. You can then turn it face down again for a Power of 2.
-Dinner! x1 - Choose a Base where you have face down Mininos. Reveal one to destroy another Minion here of Power 3 or less.
-Giant opening x1 - Play on a Base. You may play all your Minions face down here for a Power of 2.
-Complex galery x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Your face down Minions are not affected by other players' cards.
-Underground passage x1 - Move face down Minions on the Bases of your choice.
-Great Ambush x1 - Reveal up to 2 face down Minions. Special: You may place this card before a base scores.
-Total destruction x1 - Choose a Base. Its breakpoint is reduced by 2 for each face down Minion here.
Bases
-Quiet dunes (3/2/1) 18 - Minions of Power 3 or less played or moved here are placed face down for a Power of 2.
-Sea of sand (5/3/1) 22 - You may play Minions face down for a Power of 2 on this Base. Before this Base scores, reveal all Minions here.

Slimes
---------------
-Below average power, great defense
-Gimmick: protect and buff minions with others
-Inspired by fantasy bloby creatures, RPG slimes...
Minions
-King Slime (6) x1 - Ongoing: When this Minion is affected by another player's card, you may place a +1 Power counter on another of your Minion.
-Gelatinous cube (3) x3 - Ongoing: Other players cannot play more than one Minion on this Base.
-Blob (1) x6 - You can play Blob on another Minion to add a +1 Power counter on the Minion. Ongoing: You may discard Blob if the Minion it is played on is affected by another player's card.
Actions
-Bio-splash x2 - Place a +1 Power counter on all your Minions with no Power counter or Action played.
-Bio-armor x2 - Search your deck OR your discard pile for a Blob and play it as an extra Minion.
-The more the better x1 - Play on a Minion. Ongoing: This Minion has +2 Power for each Action or Minion played on it (except this card).
-Division x1 - Transfer any or all of your +1 power counters among your Minions.
-Cellular fusion x1 - Take from your discard pile up to 4 Minions of Power 2 or less.
-Resilience x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: Your Minions here cannot be moved or returned to your hand.
-Absorb x1 - Destroy a Minion of Power 3 or less to place 2 +1 Power counters on one of your Minion on the same Base.
-B. I. G. - Play on a Minion. Ongoing: At the start of your turn, place a +1 Power counter on this Minion.
Bases
-Slimey forest (4/2/1) 20 - All minions here have a base Power of 2.
-Great plains (5/3/2) 28 - Minions here cannot be moved or returned to their owner's hand.

Elves
---------------
-Just below average power, base scoring
-Gimmick: gain power on other bases, multiple talents
-Inspired by desocupado's Archers, again thanks for your great ideas!
Minions
-Archdruid (5) x1 - Ongoing: You may apply a Talent twice, once per turn.
-Huntress (4) x2 - Talent: Discard a card to destroy a Minion of Power 2 or less on another Base.
-Healer (3) x3 - Talent: Choose one of your Minion. It has +1 Power until the end of your turn OR destroy an Action played on it.
-Archer (1) x4 - Talent: You gain +1 total Power on another Base until the end of your turn.
Actions
-Last breath x2 - Apply a Talent again. Special: You may play this card before a base scores.
-Camouflage x2 - Play on one of your Minion. Ongoing: This Minion gain base Power equal to the current Base VP awarded to the winner.
-Arrow rain x1 - Your total Power on each Base is increased by 2 until the end of your turn.
-Snare x1 - Play on a Minion. Ongoing: This minion has -2 Power and cannot be moved or returned to its owner's hand.
-Fey perception x1 - You may apply the Talent of all your Minions again.
-Flying ally x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: If you have no Minion here, you have +4 total Power on this Base.
-Scout x1 - Play on one of your Minion. Talent: Move this Minion. ongoing: If you have no other Minion here, this Minion gain +2 Power.
-Elven Bow - Play on a Minion. Talent: Discard a card to destroy a Minion of Power 2 or less on another Base.

Bases
-The old one (4/3/2) 20 - After this base scores, the winner may increase his total Power on every other Base by 3 until the end of the turn.
-Sylvan sanctuary (2/3/1) 17 - At the start of its turn, the active player may increase its total Power on another Base by 2 until the end of the turn.

Aaaand we're done. I've got a few other factions in store, some not designed, some not playtested, tell me if you're interested in all those already!

Don't hesitate to point out the mistakes from both my translation skills and the smashup-specific vocabulary (not too much I hope...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
These look amazing so far!! Are you going to release them in English as well??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
IF you hook me up with the files for these with the card names of the cards already put in english and the ability text removed, I would be happy to add in the ability text in english.

I need you to do the card names due to the Fonts you used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan G
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!
I'm currently translating the cards in English.
Will update the first post to include a link to the imgur albums, just added the Atlanteans, my least favorite thematically...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
there doesnt seem to be much draw for the atlanteans to help them reach more than 10 cards, especially cause some cards have them discarding. Is the idea to just pass on multiple turns until you get a big hand, then start playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan G
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From the playtests we always had a big hand, but it's true that some cards may require you to pass to be more useful.
That said, it's not supposed to be easy to have that much cards, as it's not that supposed to be easy to keep a low hand for the Ghosts!

Added the Egyptians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
A few errors/comments on the cards:
Egyptians
Curse/Anubis' Grasp: I think it's safe to remove the "all". Just say "loses it's abilites" is better. It might sound picky but it's just a thought.

Isis' Justice: You should probably split it up "Name a faction. All minions from that faction have -1 power until the start of your next turn. Name a faction. All minions from that faction have +1 power until the start of your next turn." Easier for begginers to understand.

Otherworld: "Whenever a minion here would lose power from an ability, it gains that power instead. Whenever a minion would gain power from an ability, it loses it instead" This way you don't have to really introduce new lingo.

Sandstorm: "Other players have 3 less power on this base."

Quicksand: "You may play an action played on it as an extra action."

Pharoh: "With less power than this"

Digging the art!

Atlanteans
Atlantis: Change it's to their. Yes, really picky, but I'm pretty sure it's official lingo.

Power Spike: "You may draw a card OR play an extra action if you have 10 or more cards in hand." Your wording was slighyly weird and allowed for infinite activation.

Squid Intelligence: Seriously, that's disgusting. Could you make an alternate version for weaker stomachs?

Aybss: Printed power, like mimic says.

Shell Charisma: This should have an ongoing: on it I beilive.

Abyssal Monster: No need for the immediatley.

Still looking good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards look great. (tough I's recommend adjusting Atlanteans and Sandwurms card's bottom parts for a more realistic coloring)

I'd recommend creating a keyterm for Sandwurms mechanics.
Quote:
Burrow: Minions with burrow may be played face down on a basw (don't reveal the minion to your opponents). While a minion is facedown it counts as a minion with 2 power and no abilities. Resolve the minion's abilities when it's turned face up, as if it was just played.

As far as text goes here a few recommendations:
1 - Use lower case for both "minion" and "base" unless starting a sentence.
2 - Use "may" instead of "can". May is more accurate for an optional effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
could you possibly change the art on Squids Intelligence? It doesnt look like art and looks like a real life photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan G
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I've got a lot of things to work on now!

thewifey wrote:
Squid Intelligence: Seriously, that's disgusting. Could you make an alternate version for weaker stomachs?

I didn't know squids could be so disgusting for some people will do a softer version then! (suggestions appreciated!)

desocupado wrote:
I'd recommend creating a keyterm for Sandwurms mechanics.

The keyterm is a good idea, but since I'm not making up a rulebook with all those factions, I'm trying to keep everything on the cards, while not filling them with 6 lines of text.
(btw, the uppercase for minions and actions is a bad habit from my smash up localization, the translated cards should be all lowercase)

In the meantime, you can see the rest of the cards here (not translated yet):
http://imgur.com/a/YGpfv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amaZuu wrote:
-Elvish Bow -

Elven Bow. Pretty sure Elvish refers to the language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me help with the text. Changes in bold.
amaZuu wrote:
Minions
-High prophet (5) x1 - Talent: Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Place them on the top and/or bottom of your deck in any order.
-Jaguar warrior (4) x2 - Ongoing: If a minion card is revealed from any deck, you may move this minion to another base.
-Old shaman (3) x3 - You may reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Return them to the top of your deck in any order.
-Dancer (2) x4 - Special: If this card is revealed from your deck, draw it and reveal another card instead.

Actions
-Shamanism x2 - Discard a card then draw a card. You may play an extra action.
-To Xibalba! x2 - Discard your hand then draw 5 cards. Each of your minions gains +1 Power until the end of your turn.
-Premonitions x1 - Reveal the top 3 cards of each player's deck.
-Rite x1 - Name a card and reveal the top 4 cards from your deck. If one copy of the named card is revealed, draw all revealed cards, otherwise place those cards in the discard pile.
-Ball game x1 - Another player of your choice must play a minion or reveal his or her hand to show he or she have no minions. You may play an extra minion.
-Quetzalcoatl spirit x1 - Shuffle this card in your deck. Special: If you reveal this card from your deck, gain 1 VP.
-Great ceremony x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: After the base scores the winner must give you 1 VP, if you have at least one minion here.
-Calendar x1 - Play on a Base. Ongoing: At the start of your turn, place a +1 Power counter on this card. Ongoing: After the base scores, if this card has at least three +1 Power counter, gain 1 VP.

Bases
-Mystic jungle (5/3/1) 26 - When this base is revealed, move all Minions of Power 3 or less on to this Base.
-Ancient temples (3/2/1) 20 - After playing a Minion here, the current player reveals the top 2 cards from his or her deck.

Now onto review/recommendations
The gimmick is clear - reveal cards and trigger things (while losing secrecy). The cards with abilities that trigger on reveal are quite cool.

That being said, Jaguar warrior feels a bit odd - no other card can move (and you'll probably throw him as power drop, no? It's the same issue of pirate king - he isn't the best minion to have his own ability) similarly, dancer is almost a "The Locals".
I'd add something to Old Shaman's ability. Choosing the order might help on a few things (not much mind you). I'd swap abilities/power/quantity of the minions.

Onto actions:
Shamanism is pretty weak - maybe you could reveal a couple cards as well. (then you can upgrade old shaman to 4p x2 minion)
To Xibalba! is an odd mix of effects - what if the discard and draw was optional? What if it granted +2 power, but only 3 cards? (for a 5 card hand at the end) - there are way too many situation when it's a bad deal.
Premonitions feel a bit useless (do you really need to reveal other player's things? Do you really benefit?)
Rite is a strong draw (no one will really use it without a reveal effect)
Ball game is quite useful
Quetzalcoatl spirit could get an extra action
Calendar is a bit too weak - 3 turns is a lot - maybe it could grant the number of counters instead of the regular vp reward when the base scores (if it's greater than what you'd get)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan G
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey! Apologies I forgot this thread, I put Smash Up aside since the French release is so late and stuck on Munchkin...

Most of the mistakes you all pointed out are now fixed.

- I agree that the Jaguar warrior seem odd, I really wanted to add battlefield control on this deck by revealing card, and this was the objective of this minion.
- Dancers are way different than Innsmouth's locals though, they do not draw additional cards when played, but reveal an additional one when revealed!

- From even more playtests, Shamanism and To Xibalba! indeed feel a little on the weaker side, especially since there are 2 copies of each of them and I rarely got to use them effectively.
- Premonitions is good from my point of view, seeing enemies' incoming cards is usually a good thing!
- About the Quetzalcoatl spirit, it's some sort of ongoing challenge: revealing it is a free VP (nothing needed beside revealing it), and with some way to put it back in the deck (High Prophet for instance) it becomes immediately available again! so the drawback is that drawing it means some sort of temporary defeat (wasting an action).
- Your proposition for Calendar is great though, I'm totally going to test it the next time I play!

I do not plan on modifying the above factions since I already got them printed, but really appreciate your improvements and fix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you ever finish translating these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.