Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 2p game with Ninja and a randomly chosen theme. We ended up with Vampire. So as a cautionary tale to all...Vampire's Groundskeeper paired with Ninja's Shadow Dragon is a brutal combo to play against. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, those are the two most "unfair" packs. Hopefully everyone lived to tell the tale though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lsamadi wrote:
Vampire's Groundskeeper paired with Ninja's Shadow Dragon is a brutal combo to play against. soblue

Can you go into detail of what the cards did and how they combo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris capasso
msg tools
Shadow Dragon lets you destroy an upgrade once per round, and groundskeeper lets you destroy an upgrade and add it to your hand once per round. Definitely stifles the opponent's chance to score points and makes blueprints very hard to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the Groundskeeper is fragile - if blocked, he's gone.

The Shadow Dragon is a right bastard though, no two ways about it. In our games, it tends to be a magnet for closure effects. You might also consider it a valid reason to use a Demolition Order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awkamess wrote:
Shadow Dragon lets you destroy an upgrade once per round, and groundskeeper lets you destroy an upgrade and add it to your hand once per round. Definitely stifles the opponent's chance to score points and makes blueprints very hard to complete.

In my plays, Shadow Dragon makes you a "pre-emptive" target. Players often hoard Event cards when aggressive cards are on the table (like Shadow Dragon, Renfields, Star Performer, etc). I may or may not have the Event card that blocks your attack (Or Instant Karma's it), but you won't know until you try.

All part of the fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Unfair rewards replay - it can present challenges, but the solution to most of those challenges is split between event card solutions (draw more event cards), and strategic gameplay solutions you wont always see in game 1.

In this double aggro pairing, you do tend to want to do everything you can to stop the the other players getting groundskeeper if you don't own the Shadow Dragon. I'd counter draft it immediately, play it as a counterbalance in 2 players or as bargaining power in 3+.

otherwise you can Mesmerize him, Gate Guard block him, head hunt him etc,

or Giant wad of cash the Shadow dragon, or even demolition order it (its likely to be such a target that it may not have many upgrades on it.)

can be tough though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
otherwise you can Mesmerize him, Gate Guard block him, head hunt him etc

An as yet little-noticed consequence of the Mesmerist is that while you control the mesmerised staff member, one of the options available to you, at the cost of a Park-step action, is Dismiss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
kbrebach wrote:

An as yet little-noticed consequence of the Mesmerist is that while you control the mesmerised staff member, one of the options available to you, at the cost of a Park-step action, is Dismiss...

ooo... that just feels particularly mean. "hey, come work for me instead. Ok, great. You're fired"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
kbrebach wrote:

Jesus. You guys are going to be responsible for some murders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

ooo... that just feels particularly mean. "hey, come work for me instead. Ok, great. You're fired"

I know. It's so unfair, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In practical, terms it's no worse than just accusing them of something dreadful to get them fired via a Frivolous Lawsuit, and it actually costs the Mesmerist's owner an action to do it this way - but somehow it feels so much more sneaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.