Subject: Best source for DIY/PNP gameboxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Updating my post to show that I'm looking for a gamebox solution more generally. Here's what I've tried:
- Gamebox wrap with spray adhesive -- could see this working with smaller boxes, but too difficult on a bigger box (I tried on 11.5x5.8x3.2 -- an Escape expansion box)
- Gamebox wrap with stickers -- even worse, as I only have 8.5x11 stickers, on matte paper which looks dull and has horrible seams because the sheets are too small to cover the box effectively.

I haven't yet tried building my own box because I'm really not confident I could make that look good -- I want something that doesn't look out of place in my collection, and sadly, I'm a perfectionist. The other option with PNP is to make it really obvious it's PNP, by going the route of a wooden box or something that doesn't try to look like a game box. That's more expensive, though, and I'd like it to be consistent, besides.

So I'm looking at the Game Crafter's boxes, and their Large Retail Box looks really good: thick cardboard, laminated, high quality (allegedly) -- I might also try their Small Pro Box for some card games I have, too. I think the Small Pro box matches something like Hanabi, so that would be nice as well.

Mainly, I'm hunting for advice from people who've tried these specific boxes before -- that or recommendations for other POD places that can print mostly retail-quality game boxes for an affordable price. I'd be happy with 80-90% similar to a retail box -- my DIY attempts have been more like 50% quality.

Any recommendations? And thanks to all the folks who helped me out with my earlier question

Andrew

Original post: I'm trying to recycle one of my Escape expansion boxes for Glory to Rome -- I've done this in the past, using spray adhesive and cutout cardstock from 11x17 paper. I decided to try again with sticker sheets since they would hopefully be more reliable than the spray glue. Unfortunately, they left big thick seams at every edge of the box, and over time I can see the sticker will peel up. Because I'm limited to 8/5x11 paper, I can't make the paper overlap on the corners. Is it possible I'm just trying with too big a box? The escape box is 11.5x5.8x3.2, so quite large and I could see this method working a lot more effectively with a smaller box. Any advice on how to cover up those unseemly overlaps and keep them from peeling over time? So far my only thought is clear tape but that would look incredibly tacky. If not that, maybe a big sheet of laminate over the entire game box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Trying to salvage a gamebox wrap
Lifting/curling edges and extra seams across a box top make sticker paper a losing proposition. I would advise that you go back to regular paper and glue. Unfortunately, that means carefully removing the stickers without damaging the box. Maybe a little heat from a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, slowly peel, and then a paper towel dampened with solvent to remove the residue would help?

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a spare box, so that's not a problem. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the regular paper, because even with 11x17 paper it's not enough to wrap around the box effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this?

Cover (hide) the corners and edges with a neutral colored, opaque tape. Print separate, smaller panels for each surface, and glue them individually. Not perfect, but it solves the size problem. I use this panel method on solid black photo boxes, and if you measure your labels or paper a consistent distance from each edge and center them carefully, it actually doesn't look too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good idea. Now I just need to find some tape that at least closely matches the box color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Might have better luck if you put the seam not on the corners - let the sheet wrap the corners and have the seam down the center. It will be lies likely to peel if the edges aren't on the corner... Harder to line up though and image might not be conducive to having a dream like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point. I'm already having to wrap seams in the middle because the box is 11.5" and my sticker sheets are 8.5x11.

Edit: Updated my original post with a more general question about gameboxes. Thanks to everyone who responded to the first post, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Czarniak
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I prefer to do thing on my own. It's way more fun.
Below you can see how I did box for DIY Mega Civilization.
I printed all components bigger than A4 page on white, self adhesive foil in advertising company. And box was made of 1mm cardboard (at least what we called cardboard here )

I hope Andrew you will find it useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it looks amazing! -- what's the sort of paper you used?

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Yaro wrote:
Usually I prefer to do thing on my own. It's way more fun.
Below you can see how I did box for DIY Mega Civilization.
I printed all components bigger than A4 page on white, self adhesive foil in advertising company. And box was made of 1mm cardboard (at least what we called cardboard here )

I hope Andrew you will find it useful.

Thank you for sharing! I was looking for some examples and you have helped a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently building my second from-scratch DIY box for the Civilization redesign. That has the cover paper designs included. I also built the box for the Magic Realm, which uses the same setup.

It's really not all that hard. I did somewhat the same as Sir_Yaro, except, I did not cut the sides separately. I cut out one "+" shaped piece, then used a bone folder to score the chipboard. With that technique, I get a perfectly straight fold. The paper covers are printed on 11x17 and all the seams are along the corners of the box. The finished Magic Realm box fits right in with the professional boxes on the shelf.

Another source for premade boxes is GMT. I have not used any of them, but they are supposed to be just a nice & sturdy as the boxes they use on their own games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll check out GMT. I think I just don't have the aptitude for the paper wraps-- I've tried them multiple times and have come up short. I guess it's just me.

Does anyone have experience with superior POD? They offer some cheaper boxes than The Game Crafter but I don't know anything about their quality: http://www.superiorpod.com/product/telescopingbox#.V8Hj_YWcG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost a year ago I made this box for my PnP demonstration copy of Guilds of London (I was playtester, and someone asked about trying it at BGG.CON 2015).

I used the Office Depot brand letter sized labels (stickers) using artwork from a box proof posted by the designer and a pdf of the rules also from the designer. The label pieces overlap, and the labels are somewhat translucent so they get darker with each layer. However, I have used Avery labels, and they are truly opaque. All my seams (overlaps) were in flat areas except at the corners where I was forced to have a label edge on the box edge. I used multiple sheets of labels.

Here's a photo of a game board I made using the Avery labels. There is an overlap seam under the card spot with the number two at the bottom just right of center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Czarniak
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Wow, it looks amazing! -- what's the sort of paper you used?

A

I used 1mm bookbinder cardboard (weight over 400g I belive). But I can bet in US you called it different.

I think it's better to show you what I used and you can tell me how it's called in US

https://www.ef3m.pl/userdata/gfx/11f929abbad4d3772245bfa3522...
http://hergon.pl/3737-large_default/tektura-introligatorska-...
http://www.scrapiniec.pl/userdata/gfx/2965fec77eb651c8c7507a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I mean the paper you used to cover it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Czarniak
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Sorry, I mean the paper you used to cover it.

It's not a paper. It's a self adhesive, white foil bought and printed at the advertising company. I believe they use it to stick it on a cars. It's bit better than paper, more durable and I can order prints up to 3 meters wide (no that I ever had to ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phone boxes seem like a great source for card game boxes (they're telescoping, small enough to wrap in sticker, etc) but they're also really hard to find. I asked at T-Mobile and they said they throw away all of their phone boxes. Anyone else know of a better way to get some, short of eBay (where 6 boxes go for 40 bucks! surprise )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.