Subject: Transporter action question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a transporter action against an opponent's ship an opposed roll action? In the rule book it just says make a sensor test vs opponents shield. That's it no mention of the word "opposed." so you would simply just roll vs their current shield # without them rolling a die to add to it. However all the player made reference sheets in the download section of the geek say transporter action against an opponent is an opposed test, sensors vs shields. Was there an official answer on this I missed somewhere? There was no mention of it in the official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sputnik Monroe wrote:
Is a transporter action against an opponent's ship an opposed roll action? In the rule book it just says make a sensor test vs opponents shield. That's it no mention of the word "opposed." so you would simply just roll vs their current shield # without them rolling a die to add to it. However all the player made reference sheets in the download section of the geek say transporter action against an opponent is an opposed test, sensors vs shields. Was there an official answer on this I missed somewhere? There was no mention of it in the official FAQ.

Star Trek Fleet Captains rules pg 21 wrote:
A ship must have active Sensors in order to take a Transporter Action.
Moving Cargo or Crew to an Enemy Ship:
Your opponent’s ships are not as helpful. You can attempt to beam a single Crew Card or cargo onto or off of an enemy ship, but you must first succeed at a Sensor Test. The Level of the test is equal to the Shields Rating of the enemy ship.
Example: The U.S.S. Enterprise-A has moved into the same location as the I.K.S. Gr’oth. The Federation player decides it would be a great time to get rid of some troublesome tribbles. He makes a Transporter Action. The U.S.S. Enterprise-A has Sensors 2, and the I.K.S. Gr’oth has Shields 6. If the Federation player can roll a “4” or higher on the die, he can force the Klingon player to take the tribbles card and assign it to the Gr’oth as cargo.

Seems pretty clear that the Enemy Ship does not roll a die. So therefore, it is not considered an authentic "Opposed" test, as Opposed Tests have both players rolling a die. I am not sure why so many people would call it an Opposed Test, unless there is a misunderstanding of what the term Opposed means. The misunderstanding could be right here with me, as well, but:

Star Trek Fleet Captains rules pg 9 wrote:
Opposed System Tests

Sometimes a ship will be required to make a System Test against another ship. For example, during combat the attacking ship will make a Weapons Test against the defender’s Shields Test (see “Combat”). During an Opposed System Test, both players will roll one die and add it to the matching System Rating.

If you read that one way, it suggest that all Tests against another Ship are Opposed. But I believe the key word is "sometimes." Sometimes, you will have to make a Test against another Ship. During an Opposed Test (a special kind of Test against another Ship), both players roll a die. At least, that's the way I read it, and that reading makes it play well with pg 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's pretty implicit in the rulebook that the transporter action is not an opposed roll, even the example makes that clear. Yet for some reason several of the player aids people put up in the file section call it an opposed test roll. The only way I saw that as possible is if there was some ruling by the game's designer that was in a post I missed. I double checked the official FAQ and saw no errata stating to treat it as an opposed roll from now on either. That being said the FAQ predates the Dominion expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing in the Dominion Expansion rules that changes the way a Transporter Action works. Although there is an Opposed Sensor Test for Transmission Interference.

I assume the player aids are reading the pg 9 quote as "any time a System Test is made against another Ship, it is an Opposed Test." But the Rules do not actually say that. I read it as sometimes it is Opposed, like during Combat or as specified on a Card, and sometimes it is not, like during a Transporter Action. I think the point of pg 9 is to specify that if it is an Opposed Test, be sure both players roll a die. But not all Tests against another Ship are Opposed. At least, that's the way I see it.

EDIT: For other users' interest, some prior responses on this question; the 2nd is from one of the primary play-testers of the game.

Re: Sensors test on an enemy ship
Re: Transporter and Star Questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.