Michael S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Updated 1/18/2016, the errata says if there are only two heroes playing, then they get an addition advantage. Each one can make a bonus attack every turn, and if not that, recover two hearts.

I'm playing a two hero campaign, and the heroes are already steamrolling the OL. With this rule, it would make it even easier. I've got to be missing something here. Two heroes should already be balanced by less, weaker monsters. I don't see why this new thing is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was introduced in Mists of Bilehall. Just play without it if you think it's too easy for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with four. I suspect this is largely because there's very little room for error with two heroes. Very easy to get into a KO-lock, for instance.

As JH says, if you don't like it you can play without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I been playing this right?

We have been saying you get an extra attack action at the end of your actions, and must take it if able to attack, if you cant attack you get to recover 2 hearts.

It just felt right like in computer games usually your health wont regen until after the action stops or there are no enemies nearby. But I've never been sure if you get to choose to take an attack or recover hearts to be honest, it does make it a whole lot easier sometimes. Alot of times we will be top health and not need recovery items or healer on the RtL app an starts to feel 'cheaty' other times when were playing the POD co op we opt to play normal because we like the brutality of it and it feels way more epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack is not forced. Note that the recovery occurs if you didn't (or couldn't) perform the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game and the ruling has found its way into the core rules. As per German rulebook, it's a 3rd action, that can be taken at any time during the action phase and it can be either a simple attack (no special attacks) or a 2-health-recovery, freely to chose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my experience is that with two heroes and not using this rule the heroes just kept getting KO'd and it was at all fun for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with this rules three or so quests with Road to Legend app and won't do it again. I was just eating quest after quest of Kindred Fire. Next weekend played with a buddy with two heroes on old rules, and that was challenging and ok.

Personally I don't like this rule at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule was designed for OL play where two heroes have it the hardest- it is a welcome change that makes two hero vs. OL games reasonable.

RtL can be played with varying difficulty, but in general the app and coop expansions flip the difficulty table, and two hero games become significantly easier than four hero games. The rule is still a fine addition, but if you don't want to play with it, just don't- that's one of the perks of not having an opponent to argue with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Summer
Germany
flag msg tools
we have tried the new 2 player rule in the trollfens mini campaign and it was absurd.
the OL was absolutly crushed in every single quest, no fun for all.
maybe it works better with the newer content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carsten1977 wrote:
we have tried the new 2 player rule in the trollfens mini campaign and it was absurd.
the OL was absolutly crushed in every single quest, no fun for all.
maybe it works better with the newer content

If you have the tine, try having your group play "Food for Worms" without the rule, and let me know how that turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sekieta
Canada
flag msg tools
I just found out about it yesterday and couldn't be more thrilled. In a 3 player campaign (1 OL and 2 players) there is literally nothing the players can do to win. This is why my brothers stopped playing the game completely, the OL can lock down both heroes with sheer volume of monsters. The only reason you might be doing poorly now is that the player won the few few quests and are "more balanced" now that they have extra items and skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Cousson
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
1 Campaing with the new rule; OL V.S. disciple healer and champion warrior : OV lost EVRY single quest (7 so far) except first blood.(sometime in less than 3 turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played The Shadow Rune versus a newby without this rule. I won intro and first quest but lost second, third and interlude with no chance.

So I welcome this change. But I can't say how it works in other campaigns.

PS You should alse admit that this rule adds an attack, not an action that includes an attack (as Runemaster's blast, Berseker's whirlwind etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I think it depends a lot on how good your Overlord is. For two heroes, an Overlord playing well, picking the right open groups and upgrades is very hard to beat.

It will vary though. One oddity of the game is that as expansions come out (and the hero and monster packs especially) the Overlord gains more options. She has more open groups to pick from, more upgrade card options and so on. And with just two heroes it becomes very easy to tailor your choices to counter their abilities.

Plus Basic 1 deck is very powerful when played right. So I can see why this rule was added. But for new groups, with just the base set it might well be overkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Cousson
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
I think it depends a lot on how good your Overlord is. For two heroes, an Overlord playing well, picking the right open groups and upgrades is very hard to beat.

It will vary though. One oddity of the game is that as expansions come out (and the hero and monster packs especially) the Overlord gains more options. She has more open groups to pick from, more upgrade card options and so on. And with just two heroes it becomes very easy to tailor your choices to counter their abilities.

Plus Basic 1 deck is very powerful when played right. So I can see why this rule was added. But for new groups, with just the base set it might well be overkill.

OL very hard to beat ? We speak of an OL with most of time 6 monsters around 6 life, one grey or brown dice of defense and can only do one attack (with two dices) VS two heros with 3 dices of attack, three dices of defense, 14 life and who can do three atack in a row, abilities to recover life and stamina in addition of they three atacks... Seems pretty unbalanced for me (In one turn if i attack with all my monsters i do around 8 damaged to a single hero (who heal 4 of them the next turn), the heros kill 5 of my monsters XD (and recover more life to do so). ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wernoumox wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

OL very hard to beat ? We speak of an OL with most of time 6 monsters around 6 life, one grey or brown dice of defense and can only do one attack (with two dices) VS two heros with 3 dices of attack, three dices of defense, 14 life and who can do three atack in a row, abilities to recover life and stamina in addition of they three atacks... Seems pretty unbalanced for me (In one turn if i attack with all my monsters i do around 8 damaged to a single hero (who heal 4 of them the next turn), the heros kill 5 of my monsters XD (and recover more life to do so). ^^

The heroes you discribe are too overfed. Also, it looks like you are speaking about act II. In that case your monsters can do a lot of damage (Shadow Dragons, Cave Spiders, Merriods). And of course you have a lot of additional opportunities as disabling, extra damage, etc. from Overlord and Agent cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Cousson
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
No. Speaking about actI . And for additional opportunities it's only one card a turn (because it's clearly impossible for me to KO 1 hero ^^ so i only have one OL card at the begigning of my turn ^^). By the way rule are rule . So i'll see if it less hard for me in act2 or with heirs of blood campaing . (Or maybe i'm just bad at this game )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
wernoumox wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

How are they getting three defence dice? And remember, you generally don't need to kill them, just delay them.

Are you drawing the Overlord cards at the start of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Cousson
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
wernoumox wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

How are they getting three defence dice? And remember, you generally don't need to kill them, just delay them.

Are you drawing the Overlord cards at the start of the game?

One of the two hero have an armor who add a dark defense dice and he can engage it to have one brow extra defense dice, one shield. And the other hero have the same equipement with "prior of healing" ability : gain one red dice of healt, add one brown defense dice, add one yellow dice for attack, remove one condition card . Plus they can switch between ranged and melee weapons each turn. Even if i try to delay him, he perform six attacks in one turn and he kill two or three monsters, so in two turn i only have my 1 reinforcement monster . Yesterday we played interlude 1 of the main campaign, i can't even get back the casket XD. I think we'll forget this rule of bonus action and he will play with three heroes .

P.S. Yes i draw my OL card each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, yellow die is added to one further attack, not for the entire turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Cousson
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
Vitezslav wrote:
By the way, yellow die is added to one further attack, not for the entire turn...

Indeed . But that with all the other abilities it's hard for the OL (Who is supposed to be the master of darkness, with great power ). We'll try with my friend controling three heros and without bonus action to see if it's more balanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.