Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game a couple of times now really like the advanced end scoring bonus/objectives that make the advanced game really shine. I also love the option to upgrade buildings and more scoring options on the player boards.

However, especially in a 4 player game, the option to turn the wheel or not makes me dislike this game more and more.

Whenever I played with new players (which is most of the times), turning the wheel became a waiting game on multiple occasions. There weren't any good/cheap bricks left to take and turning would leave the next player with cheaper/better bricks. So players start to delay turning until they don't have another option, upgrading with just 1 more brick, scoring low etc.

Then someone turns, buys an expensive brick, the next player then depriciates/turns and gets a few cheap bricks, the next player buys the rest of bargains and the 3rd player gets another or super bargain after turning once more. When it comes to the player who initially started turning again, the options are as grim as before, only expensive bricks are left, which in a game where money is always tight reduces the options. So the wait starts again.

Am I the only one experiencing this kind of play style with the turning the wheel or not option in 4 player games? Initially I really liked the optional wheel turning mechanism, but now I started to avoid it.
Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spiegel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not certain it's a problem really. Turn order can be important because of what you mention. If you find yourself getting shafted with brick choice time and time again it might be better to skip buying and instead build something or score early instead allowing your buying position to shift slightly. I really think the wheel turning is the best part of the game as it can be tough to decide whether to turn the wheel or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fuller
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbWre7mmPcONBiQxk9ivuA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wheel turning option is the art of this game. Perhaps it is best as a two player leaving the two to battle it out for the best priced bricks. However if you are banking your strategy on getting good deals then you need to rethink your game. Much like Scythe this game is more of a scoring race. With the basic end condition of the first player to score their fourth pawn ends the game. Which is a brilliant balance to the wheel turning slow play.

If you find that your opposition is jockeying for the best cost, you can buck the queue and put pressure on them by scoring sooner. Sure they might get cheap bricks but will they have enough time to build high scoring buildings AND score them? Not likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mxke wrote:
With the basic end condition of the first player to score their fourth pawn ends the game. Which is a brilliant balance to the wheel turning slow play.

Is this game ending condition a variant? I can only find in the rules that the game ends either if you're running out of buildings or someone announces the fulfillment of the 3 randomly set objectives.
On times, it's quite difficult to get all objectives finished, especially if you don't have enough bricks to buy different sets of buildings in time that you need to get the variety of objects for the purple card.

It's a great game with all the options you have to carefully consider. When to turn the wheel, which bricks to get, where to build and when to score. Maybe more plays will help me get a better at finding balance on how to improve on playing the wheel part and using the other options better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire game revolves around the

1.) The choice of whether or not to turn the wheel to acquire bricks.
2.) The race for the upgrades.

As others have mentioned, you need to out think your opponents so that the bricks you require fall to the prices you can afford. If it is not happening for you, then the only thing I can say, unfortunately, is that you are getting out planned and out played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.