Popular Tags: [View All]
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "any number of structures in a straight line" count for this objective. A player is arguing that because the icon on this time just shows two connected hexes, any number of structures in a sequence of connected hexes should count, but it seems clear to me that they actually need to be in a straight line of hexes in a row on the game board, and a zig-zag arrangement of adjacent hexes wouldn't count. Who is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How on earth can you interpret "in a straight line" to mean something other than "in a straight line?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
21 22 44 19 6 12 ??
badge
mbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
The rules say "any number of structures in a straight line" count for this objective. A player is arguing that because the icon on this time just shows two connected hexes, any number of structures in a sequence of connected hexes should count....
I can see some ways that "in a straight line" could be argued for non-conventional interpretations, but this one doesn't pass muster. If it were supposed to be just "a sequence of connected hexes", then that's what the card would say (or "adjacent hexes", or whatever else is clearly "connected-without-necessarily-being-straight").

You're in the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
How on earth can you interpret "in a straight line" to mean something other than "in a straight line?"

thumbsup

Where there is a will, there is a way I suppose shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I have a related question...

Do the in-a-row buildings have to all "touch", or can they be in-a-row Kingdom Builder style, with a gap in there somwhere, but still all in the same row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they must be adjacent in a straight (not crooked) line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine one of my group arguing that they could draw a straight line though theirs (they've not played it yet, but they're that sort whistle). So with them I will actually show them on the board what would count and what wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
I can imagine one of my group arguing that they could draw a straight line though theirs (they've not played it yet, but they're that sort whistle). So with them I will actually show them on the board what would count and what wouldn't.

Yeah, you can draw a line from the vertice on the first hex to another vertice on the last hex of a series of hexes that do not themselves form a straight line .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Cool, thanks.

I don't have the board in front of me, but IIRC, there are only 1-2 spots where a player could even get all 4 adjacent in a row, assuming no interference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnott wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Cool, thanks.

I don't have the board in front of me, but IIRC, there are only 1-2 spots where a player could even get all 4 adjacent in a row, assuming no interference.

There are many ways in which you can get 4 structures in a straight line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 player game where all 4 of us managed to build all four of our buildings in a line to get the structure bonus, so it's definitely possible to do it in many places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody mentioned that you can cross rivers in your straight line of hexes.

Hexes separated by a river are still adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's advocate

Straight lines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A better wording for the bonus tile description would have been:

Number of your structures on adjacent hexes in a straight line (going through the center of each hex).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?

People can't figure out what contiguous straight line means, with a diagram that shows hex adjacency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (he was the "other player" in my original post) argued that the example diagram on the bonus tile should have show at least three hexes in a line for greater clarity. I assume this one was designed this way because all the other bonus tiles also only show a 2-hex diagram; to be fair all the other bonuses I've played the game with to date only require adjacency to something to count for the points.

Addendum: he won that game by a long shot, by the way. He wasn't even arguing the point for his own benefit, but rather for his little brother, who was pretty far behind and could have used the extra points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.