Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chase
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
Wild difficulty varience and awkward play. Just not well-suited to solo play.

Any reason to think this will be better?

Not an idle, I'm thinking about getting it.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes, because this game seems to have some elements of Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game, which plays perfectly well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really possible to know 100% until it comes out but it will probably be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atvar wrote:
Quote:

Yes, because this game seems to have some elements of Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game, which plays perfectly well solo.

To be fair playing Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game solo you still have to control at least 2 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
Atvar wrote:
Quote:

To be fair playing Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game solo you still have to control at least 2 characters.

Having watched the Team Covenant video of the demo at GenCon, I don't see any similarities to Warhammer Quest at all. It may resemble LotR a bit, but it seems very different from that too. It seems to be a really innovative game!

Each player one investigator with a deck you build with limits based on individual investigators. The decks seem to have all sorts of equipment, skills, etc. that define your character.

Scenarios are linked in some sort of campaign system where choices in one game have effects on the next. Scenarios appear to have an encounter deck built of specific subsets (as in LotR) but there are also location cards that make up a sort of map and investigators are placed in specific locations.

The investigators gather clues to try and advance the scenario act cards to win while the game advances the scenarios agenda cards, which can make the players lose.

Between scenarios you can use experience points to upgrade a few cards in your deck. Almost an RPG feel of character development in an ongoing campaign.

I'm really hoping that it will play solo with just one investigator, but I guess that'll depend on if there are cards for each type of investigator to allow them to deal with each type of challenge or not and how well the challenges are scaled based on number of players.

If it scales well and we can build investigators with ways of handling each type of major challenge, and they make some great, thematic scenarios and campaigns, this will be one of the most awesome solo games ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcapclimber2001 wrote:

Not an idle, I'm thinking about getting it.

Thanks.

I do not see why "Wild difficulty variance" makes it hard for solo play. Specifically, why is this bad for solo and not for more than 1 player?

Awkward play is I guess a bit subjective, but can you further explain what do you exactly mean? then we can discuss if this awkwardness is still in AH or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm really hoping that it will play solo with just one investigator, but I guess that'll depend on if there are cards for each type of investigator to allow them to deal with each type of challenge or not and how well the challenges are scaled based on number of players.

I agree, I think the way to make single investigator games viable is by going with a Netrunner approach to neutral cards, which everyone can use. The basic principle there is that many feats that are characteristic to one of the factions is available in a weaker/more expensive form to everybody else via neutral cards. That of course dilutes the theme of each faction a bit but I still prefer that to LoTR's way where some quests were practically impossible to win for some colors on their own for a very long time, until the card pool really extended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcapclimber2001 wrote:
I think that you'll find that thousands of solo player of LotR would disagree with you on the second sentence. It's certainly true that the scenarios have a (known/published) range of difficulty and also a number of different approaches necessary to succeed. You seem to confuse that with "wild difficulty variance". So that "aspect" of LotR - even if present in AHCG - won't render it unsuitable for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first time I read a comparison of Arkham Horror TCG with Warhammer Quest, and it gave me pause. I have Warhammer and have tried several times to enjoy it. I don't know why, but this game never did it for me. I struggled through it, and at the end of each session thought: this was not fun for me.

Part of it is that it feels overly structured. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options to break out in the direction I want to go. Instead, I feel like I'm being forced down a hallway, where tons of monsters await, and there's nothing I can do but plod ahead and deal with them.

From the Arkham video I watched, this game seems different. There seems to be options that would accommodate different player preferences. We'll see.

I'm almost strictly a solo player and own hundreds of games. I generally love any game designed for solo, which is why Warhammer Quest really disappointed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OP makes me think he wanted to build one deck and have that carry him through the entire LotR LCG while sprinkling in a few cards here and there.

Which is not the case at all with LotR.

FWIW LotR was probably one of the first co-op LCGs that had a large player base. It may even been THE first.

So i'm sure FFG has learned from there mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:
OP makes me think he wanted to build one deck and have that carry him through the entire LotR LCG while sprinkling in a few cards here and there.

Which is not the case at all with LotR.

FWIW LotR was probably one of the first co-op LCGs that had a large player base. It may even been THE first.

So i'm sure FFG has learned from there mistakes

That's what made me sell LOTR. Such a pita to have to rebuild a deck for each new scenario. I really hope this game isn't like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

If it scales well and we can build investigators with ways of handling each type of major challenge, and they make some great, thematic scenarios and campaigns, this will be one of the most awesome solo games ever!

Ditto! Looking forward to this LCG where I don't have to double fist (hopefully).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torn
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would be surprised if they design every character to be a swiss army knife. I think one of the fun things in any RPG (meaning: character/story telling game) is the different characters and how they interact.

In addition you will have a map on which you move to face the challenges. Like in other games with just one character you can only cover one section of this map at a time.

If I had to make a bet then I would say most probably the game will be more fun with (at least?) two complementary characters but of course maybe the designers show some genius and overcome these challenges.

If it works great with two I will surely give it a shot. I found the Lord of the Rings LCG a bit too much of a hassle. Rebuilding decks like crazy and playing the scenarios over and over again until you found the right combination and had the luck to pull it off. That one was more of a complex puzzle than an adventure. While this might have grown on me as a long time gamer it surely drove away any kind of casual gamer in my gaming groups.

I am hoping for a more accessable adventure style approach with this one (while the dark horror theme is surely less accessable for the average gamer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.