The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple timing questions with "the Beast we Become" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jacoby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Okay, sorry for being pedantic, I just want some other opinions here. During "the Beast we Become", I made the poor decision of picking the Wrath sin. This opens up a few timing questions for the sin, as well as for the scenario in general. I've outlined them in numbered points below, please weigh in on them:

1. If, during a combat, the hero dies (i.e. from corruption and wounds), does my Wrath ability trigger? I.e. it's not a reaction, so I'd assume it does. Further, I'd assume the hero cannot prevent it as he/she is dead.

2. The scenario track states that the first mission is to get a hero to maximum corruption. It neglects to state the timing for this. 2 further questions:
a) if the hero reaches maximum corruption, but then dies in a fight, does that advance the mission? Keep in mind, the rulebook states that the mission progress updates "immediately".
b) to further sub-point a), in my example, the hero reached maximum corruption in a fight with the controller. Mission 2 states "(sic) kill the controller 2 times...". Does the hero "live" long enough to fulfill the first mission (if you argue that way on sub-point a) AND advance mission 2 by 1 since he's technically not dead during that fight? Can the hero advance 2 missions in 1 turn?

I'm not sure how we'll end up playing it, but I can see it going either way for all points. I really do think that CMON and/or the designer of the games should be on the rules review boards to help address these points before they are hit in play by purchasers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrVoila wrote:
Okay, sorry for being pedantic, I just want some other opinions here. During "the Beast we Become", I made the poor decision of picking the Wrath sin. This opens up a few timing questions for the sin, as well as for the scenario in general. I've outlined them in numbered points below, please weigh in on them:

1. If, during a combat, the hero dies (i.e. from corruption and wounds), does my Wrath ability trigger? I.e. it's not a reaction, so I'd assume it does. Further, I'd assume the hero cannot prevent it as he/she is dead.

What does the Wrath ability say? (Don't have my game with me right now).

MrVoila wrote:
2. The scenario track states that the first mission is to get a hero to maximum corruption. It neglects to state the timing for this. 2 further questions:
a) if the hero reaches maximum corruption, but then dies in a fight, does that advance the mission? Keep in mind, the rulebook states that the mission progress updates "immediately".

Yes. Here's what happens : the hero decides to take corruption when you initiate a fight. That fulfils the mission parameters ("immediately"). You then advance the mission marker to the next mission.

MrVoila wrote:
b) to further sub-point a), in my example, the hero reached maximum corruption in a fight with the controller. Mission 2 states "(sic) kill the controller 2 times...". Does the hero "live" long enough to fulfill the first mission (if you argue that way on sub-point a) AND advance mission 2 by 1 since he's technically not dead during that fight? Can the hero advance 2 missions in 1 turn?

Yes. Because you are already on the next mission as stated above.

MrVoila wrote:
I'm not sure how we'll end up playing it, but I can see it going either way for all points. I really do think that CMON and/or the designer of the games should be on the rules review boards to help address these points before they are hit in play by purchasers

Yes. Wish CMON would answer the gameplay questions but they don't even have a dedicated forum for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If a Hero kills any monsters and dies in the same fight, Wrath's power is triggered and a Monster can be teleported 1 Space. Since the Hero is dead, he can't take Corruption to prevent this.

2) The first mission in "The Beast We Become" states "One Hero reaches maximum Corruption, revealing their Dark Past card." So the Hero needs to survive until the end of his turn in order to reveal his Dark Past card in order to accomplish this mission. Only then they can move on to the next mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.