12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fun, Flexible Game Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Luo
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi guys, I guess I can be considered new to board games. My collection isn't the biggest right now, which is why I am trying to look for some good games to add on to it. For now I am not putting too much money into this hobby so I can't get too many games. That is why I want a game that scales well (most desirably 2-3, 2-4, or 2-5). I also would like a game with replayability and a slightly lower price tag if possible (anything under $100 maybe). I know nothing is perfect but if you guys can suggest a few games that would best meet these guidelines it would really be appreciated. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Codenames to anyone that doesn't already have it in their collection. It's not a "gamer's game" but it's a fantastic game that plays well even with those that aren't into board gaming.

Love Letter is a super cheap, quick game that packs in a surprising amount of fun.

Splendor is a game that involves a bit more thinking, but is nicely designed and won't break the bank.

Finally, if you can find Thurn and Taxis or Vikings for a decent price, they are both fantastic games that are enjoyed by almost everyone that plays them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard to say really, all depends what you like.
I like games that have a high replayability.

Worker Placement (all upto 5 players):
Lords of Waterdeep (upto 6 players with Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport)
Kingsburg

Drafting:
Sushi Go!
7 Wonders

Deck building.
I like the style of anything in the legendary range.
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
That is what i have, but there is aliens, predator, firefly, etc, choose what interests you.

Racing style
Jamaica
Camel Up

Other great games:
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (expands to Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion)
4 Players only:
Abyss
Takenoko

Something heavier:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Blood Rage
Scythe

This is my opinion on some great games, all are good for beginners (except maybe "something heavier")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Small World scales great from 2 to 5, and has tons of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the hobby! As you can see, a lot of folks are happy to help you, but could you maybe tell us a bit more about what kind of games you have enjoyed before? Otherwise, we're just gonna hafta start guessing in the dark about what you might like. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Best Value in Gaming is Looney Pyramids . Pick up 5 Rainbow stashes and you can play hundreds of games.Dozens of them actually good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
It's only 1-4 but Dark Dealings is cheap, cute, fun, and has a ton of replayability.

It combines drafting, auction, resource management and memory in an enjoyable and quick game, with more depth than meets the eye.

And you're the evil guy. What's not to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely recommend Roll for the Galaxy. I find it highly replayable as the tile/dice combinations will differ with each game. There are lots of strategies to try out. We mostly play it 2p, but have played one 5p game and that seemed to go really well once everyone figured the rules out. If you like dice then it's a no brainer- buy it. If you don't like dice, then at least look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Luo
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks guys for all your recommendations. They are really helping me with my decisions. As a response to my interests and preferences, currently I do not really know how to classify them. I played a few games before and I can say that I enjoy strategy and trading elements. How they are implemented doesn't really bother me much I think. A few games that I have played before and enjoyed a lot are: Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride and Betrayal at House on the Hill. A few games that I didn't enjoy too much were: Magic the Gathering and Bang! The Dice Game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both Ticket to Ride and Catan are route-building games, so I'd recommend Inca Empire. It's a little meaner and has a little more bite to it than the other two, but I think you might like it; you can get it for a good price on the Boardgamegeek Market. The only downside is it only plays 3-4, not 2.

Some other affordable options are: Coup, Love Letter, Fleet, The Great Heartland Hauling Co., Hanabi, Battle Sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Both Ticket to Ride and Catan are route-building games, so I'd recommend Inca Empire. It's a little meaner and has a little more bite to it than the other two, but I think you might like it; you can get it for a good price on the Boardgamegeek Market. The only downside is it only plays 3-4, not 2.

Some other affordable options are: Coup, Love Letter, Fleet, The Great Heartland Hauling Co., Hanabi, Battle Sheep.

Be aware that you get eliminated in Coup without playing a single turn though.

I hate that "game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul has a variable board and also plays well with 2 - 5 Players.
It isn't too expensive and has two expansions, if you want more variation.
Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh and the new Istanbul: Letters & Seals each add new board tiles and new resources for more strategic options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.