$30.00
Steve Heller
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all -

I was wondering...when it comes time to remove basic boons during Adventure 3, does it make sense to remove the Blessing of the Gods when given the chance? At times I think I'd rather have it in my hand then something else. For example, Seelah is one of my characters and I'd rather her get a Blessing of the Gods when there are times when the top card of the blessings deck is, say, the Blessing of Gorum. I'd rather her have the Blessing of the Gods where she can at least copy those powers and get to discard for adding two dice to a strength-based combat check then have to use something like a Blessing of Erastil, which is just add one die (which the Blessing of the Gods can do anyway).

I understand that getting rid of the basic trait boons will enable me to have a chance at better boons later. But in the meantime, it seems that Blessing of the Gods isn't that bad right now; or at least equal to some of the other ones that give two dice on checks I rarely have to do.

Maybe because I haven't acquired enough good blessings yet? She does have Erastil mainly because nothing else better has come up (I give her Gorum whenever possible... it's a two character game)?

I figure those that have played this waaaay more than me can chime in...it's entirely possible I'm not thinking of something. 8-)

Thanks in advance...these forums have been EXTREMELY helpful so far!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of a BotG you actually have no choice to make. It automatically goes into your hand as there is no check to acquire. The only way they can be removed from the game is if you use them for a banish effect, or if they remain in a location deck after you have closed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rojas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what he means is from chapter 3 and afterwards at The end of each scenario when you re-do your hand. I am on chapter 4 myself, and as i understood, basic banes MUST be removed from The Game for good, but for boons IT is your choice if you remove then or not. If you do you get more chances to get stronger/better boons from newest chapters; if you dont you get The chance to encounter them basic again. Then, basic Boons are up to you to remove them or not.

Anyway that's how i Play it.

-tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, that's what Peter is talking about too. Peter is saying, with any other Basic boon, when you encounter it in a location deck, you can decide to try to acquire it, or just let it be banished forever (or even, decide not to acquire it, and decide not to banish it).

But you don't have that choice with Blessing of the Gods. As soon as you encounter it, you acquire it. You don't have the choice to not acquire it and so banish it.

You do have the choice when doing any other banishing (closing locatios etc)

Personally, I love having blessings which give two dice for what I know I'll need to do. We always picked up Abadars, and Gorums/Erastils for the fighters. Lamashtus are worth having, even though they're a bury for two dice. Gozrehs really help your group with the closing checks you're weak at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tom2013 wrote:
I think what he means is from chapter 3 and afterwards at The end of each scenario when you re-do your hand. I am on chapter 4 myself, and as i understood, basic banes MUST be removed from The Game for good, but for boons IT is your choice if you remove then or not. If you do you get more chances to get stronger/better boons from newest chapters; if you dont you get The chance to encounter them basic again. Then, basic Boons are up to you to remove them or not.

Anyway that's how i Play it.

-tom

Peter is correct.

According to page 10 of the rules:
Quote:
Each boon card has a section called Check to Acquire. This section indicates the skills that can be used in checks to acquire the boon and the difficulty of the checks. If you succeed in acquiring the card, put it into your hand. If you fail, banish it.

When encountering a boon from the a location deck, you only banish a boon if you fail your check to acquire or you choose not to attempt.

As Peter pointed out Blessing of the Gods is a special case as it is automatically acquired. So, the majority of the Blessing of the Gods are going to stay in the box for the entire adventure path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tom2013 wrote:
... when you re-do your hand.

Note that when you create your deck again according to the limits, excess cards are just put back in the box, just like all other locations that aren't closed. Those cards aren't banished, so you don't get the option too permanently remove those.

Answering the original question, it all depend on playing style. I'd rather have a blessing of Gorum in my deck. That has a much higher chance to be available at that single time that I would have the 2 dice from it, then hoping it shows up on top of the blessing deck at the right time.

Trimming the BotG gives a higher chance of encountering those non-basic blessings when they are in the deck. and also having them show up in the blessings deck, so you can recharge the cards in stead of discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heller
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I got too wordy (apropos for me) and didn't make myself that clear. Yes, I know that BoTG are difficult to remove (and I know I don't banish them when closing a location). But I was wondering *if I should* since it can be better then another blessing that the two dice add-on doesn't really help me with.

I guess I just haven't gotten enough of the better ones. It's all a random draw anyway and since I only have two characters there are have been instances where I'm closing a location early and not getting the boons that are in there.

I know that there are better cards coming so when I get a chance to banish a BoTG I will. But I will keep some in my hand until then as I feel that they may offer a small benefit.

Thanks everyone!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sutibu wrote:
Yes, I know that BoTG are difficult to remove (and I know I don't banish them when closing a location).

To be clear:

- When you encounter a BoG, it immediately goes to your hand, so there is no opportunity to banish it.
- When you are rebuilding your decks between games, cards you don't want are returned to the box, not banished.
- Cards remaining in an *unclosed* location at the end of the game are returned to the box, not banished.
- Cards in a location that gets closed *are* banished at that point.
- Cards can be banished by special effects like when you close certain locations.
- Cards in locations that were temporarily closed to win the game are returned to the box, not banished. (thanks Autoduelist!)

(And hopefully I got that right, to avoid confusing anyone else. If I got it wrong, I'll come back and edit this post so it is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent summary PeakHope. I'd also add:

- Temporily closed locations when defeating the scenario villain are returned to the box, not banished.

I've seen questions in the past asking if that counted for banishing cards because the scenario was over and the rules say the location is "closed", thus enabling the defeat of the villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I removed every blessing of the gods I could. By the end of the adventure path, I think that was like 10 total. I wanted to encounter better blessings in a location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, we almost always removed Blessings of the Gods when we had a chance. The exceptions came in Adventures 5 and 6 when we were playing with 6 players. It's possible to remove so many BotG that you can't make all the locations and the 30 blessing deck. I can't remember what number that was but with 2 players, I think you have no worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heller
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin -

First off, thanks for your help, appreciate it.

To be clear:

- When you encounter a BoG, it immediately goes to your hand, so there is no opportunity to banish it.
- When you are rebuilding your decks between games, cards you don't want are returned to the box, not banished.
- Cards remaining in an *unclosed* location at the end of the game are returned to the box, not banished.
- Cards can be banished by special effects like when you close certain locations.
- Cards in locations that were temporarily closed to win the game are returned to the box, not banished. (thanks Autoduelist!)

Yep, I understand all of those.

- Cards in a location that gets closed *are* banished at that point.

Yes, understood. But boons *may* be removed from the game according to Adventure Path 3. That was what my question was about. Should I remove BoTG from the game. Since I posted, I have read other posts and will remove them.

Thanks again!
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.