Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked through the forums and see a lot about the Aracnos Grab ability, but none of them (that I've noticed) answer the following specific question:

When an Aracnos does damage to a bot and destroys the bot, does it still perform the Grab part of the action and move an area towards the nearest teleport point by itself?

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's any official answer for that. However, I would look at it logically.

It does damage and kills the bot. Since there is nothing to grab, it doesn't perform the Grab action and therefore doesn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really tough question, I think. On the one hand, thematically, I can see myself agreeing with Logus Vile.

On the other hand, we have official rulings concerning Alien targeting. If during their activation they "discover" agents that were closer to them than their original target. In this case, they still go for their original target.

So it could be argued that in the case at hand, also, they carry out their original plan. Which was to grab their enemy (=bot) and bring it to the next TP.

Thematically speaking: Only once at the TP, they notice their target has been destroyed by their attack.

Edit: also, just as an afterthought. The problem doesn't occur for agents, of course, since they can't be dead, but only bleeding after the Aracnos' attack. The problem only occurs for bots/drones. For alien behavior consistency, I'd actually recommend the Aracnos grabs the destroyed bot and pulls it to the next TP.

Edit 2: Hm, agents could of course be dead if the Aracnos attacks a bleeding agent. So... I don't know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
For alien behavior consistency, I'd actually recommend the Aracnos grabs the destroyed bot and pulls it to the next TP.

That's something like I was thinking. Also, if you think of it as one overall alien attack, then it would make sense that some of the damage would be done as the drone/agent was dragged along, rather than the Aracnos doing 3 damage and *then* grabbing and dragging the agent towards a TP.

In the specific case in my game, the Aracnos is engaging 2 agents and the bot, so if the Aracnos drags the bot along with it, the agents get freed up to act.

In my situation, it doesn't entirely make sense (to me) that the Aracnos would grab the bot. But, as none of the agents/bot involved are damaged, it then goes after the one with the least health which is the bot. Too bad a Spine Critter used up the bots opportunity fire.

So, I'm still conflicted about it. Thanks for the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
wsmithjr wrote:

In my situation, it doesn't entirely make sense (to me) that the Aracnos would grab the bot.

The aliens are stupid. That's the only reason the heroes have any chance - the aliens have their orders and they follow them to the letter. Humans are outmanned and outgunned, and the aliens are more mobile AND nearly as survivable. There's no way the heroes could win if the aliens were smart.

It's an interesting approach to game design, but it works quite well so that there's an interesting AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.