Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
A North Carolina man was killed by police during a traffic stop for speeding. Cenk Uygur and Ana Kasparian, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down.

“This is as bad as it gets.

A North Carolina state trooper shot and killed 29-year-old Daniel Harris — who was not only unarmed, but deaf — just feet from his home, over a speeding violation. According to early reports from neighbors who witnessed the shooting this past Thursday night, Harris was shot and killed "almost immediately" after exiting his vehicle.

He appeared to be trying to communicate with the officer via sign language.

"They should've de-escalated and been trained to realize that this is an entirely different situation," neighbor Mark Barringer said. "You're pulling someone over who is deaf, they are handicapped. To me, what happened is totally unacceptable."

Read more here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio...

Young Turk (n), 1. Young progressive or insurgent member of an institution, movement, or political party. 2. Young person who rebels against authority or societal expectations. (American Heritage Dictionary)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-n-police-kill-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nothing will change until we start sending these cops to prison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Right, because this police office is bigoted against the deaf, even when he doesn't know they're deaf.

Let's wait for the video. Having said that, I'm willing to guess that the officer kept yelling at him to get back into his car but the young man kept approaching the police officer. I agree, I'm just speculating at this point.

Traffic stops are very dangerous to the police. Officers are executed regularly.

Why did this man exit his vehicle? Why did he not stop for over 7 miles? How do you drive and not look into a mirror for over 7 miles?

In addition to specialized police training, I see a place for better training for the deaf. I thought driving while deaf was illegal. Even so, I would hesitate at denying the deaf the mobility and quality of life that driving offers. But, they likely need specialized training themselves. Use your mirrors constantly (which you're supposed to do anyway), never leave the vehicle when stopped by the police, have an explanatory card ready, have a deaf driver identification sticker in the window or on the license plate. But, all that doesn't fit the narrative of the evil cop who woke up just hankering to execute a deaf man.

I applaud the family's attitude. This is certainly a tragedy.

And, what are the rules for using a taser?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Right, because this police office is bigoted against the deaf, even when he doesn't know they're deaf.

Let's wait for the video. Having said that, I'm willing to guess that the officer kept yelling at him to get back into his car but the young man kept approaching the police officer. I agree, I'm just speculating at this point.

Traffic stops are very dangerous to the police. Officers are executed regularly.

Why did this man exit his vehicle? Why did he not stop for over 7 miles? How do you drive and not look into a mirror for over 7 miles?

In addition to specialized police training, I see a place for better training for the deaf. I thought driving while deaf was illegal. Even so, I would hesitate at denying the deaf the mobility and quality of life that driving offers. But, they likely need specialized training themselves. Use your mirrors constantly (which you're supposed to do anyway), never leave the vehicle when stopped by the police, have an explanatory card ready, have a deaf driver identification sticker in the window or on the license plate. But, all that doesn't fit the narrative of the evil cop who woke up just hankering to execute a deaf man.

NOT in other countries.

We train our cops to escalate and execute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Link doesn't work

Now it does. Disregard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
isaacc wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

NOT in other countries.

In other countries the authority of the police is respected and they are not executed on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Interesting.

History of resisting arrest. Police bumped his car to get his attention. Lost a tire. Finished driving home on the rim.

Be interesting to see where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
isaacc wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

NOT in other countries.

In other countries the authority of the police is respected and they are not executed on a regular basis.

Seriously isaac, off topic, when did you become a meme? I don't remember seeing you around much for a while and now you come back and sound very different than I remember. I grant I didn't encounter you a great deal, but I retain the impeession of more critical thinking and depth of analysis from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Shadrach wrote:
isaacc wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
isaacc wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

NOT in other countries.

Seriously isaac, off topic, when did you become a meme? I don't remember seeing you around much for a while and now you come back and sound very different than I remember. I grant I didn't encounter you a great deal, but I retain the impeession of more critical thinking and deoth of analysis from you.

Google claims that:
Quote:
According to FBI Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted reports, 62 officers were killed during traffic stops from 2003 to 2012. That does not include 34 others who died during and after vehicle pursuits.

So that's around 10/year. There were over 12,000 traffic stops in 2014 in ONE COUNTY. Let's assume that's representative. There are over 3,000 counties in the U.S., for a total estimated number of traffic stops (by local police only, we'll just ignore state and federal law enforcement) of 36,000,000. So a cop who makes a traffic stop has less than a one three-millionth chance of being killed there.

Regular?

Let's also point out that it's roughly ten times as likely to result in the death of someone OTHER than an officer. So if the question is whether the police are reacting to threats in a way which balances their safety against the safety of others in a reasonable way, that seems to me like reason to think they aren't. Obviously, every police officer killed doing their duty is a tragedy. But the view that losing even one this way is unacceptable is what leads us to many more people dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another casualty of the right to bear arms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
isaacc wrote:

Because:

A) they don't routinely murder people
B) they don't see the general populace as the enemy (and vice versa)
C) they aren't there to control and shape society, nor are they political or militarised
D) they get actual (years of) training, and are required to undergo continual training, just like many other professionals

and plenty more, but that should be a nice starting point for where your society and your police have gone so very wrong.

Also - authority? Don't make me laugh. Australians have no respect for "authority". That's not why the general population and the police have a decent relationship here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

So that's around 10/year. There were over 12,000 traffic stops in 2014 in ONE COUNTY. Let's assume that's representative. There are over 3,000 counties in the U.S., for a total estimated number of traffic stops (by local police only, we'll just ignore state and federal law enforcement) of 36,000,000. So a cop who makes a traffic stop has less than a one three-millionth chance of being killed there.

Regular?

Let's also point out that it's roughly ten times as likely to result in the death of someone OTHER than an officer. So if the question is whether the police are reacting to threats in a way which balances their safety against the safety of others in a reasonable way, that seems to me like reason to think they aren't. Obviously, every police officer killed doing their duty is a tragedy. But the view that losing even one this way is unacceptable is what leads us to many more people dying.

It really doesn't matter because stats don't count for you guys. By that I mean, (a) of course there are a lot more non-police being shot at; that's why police carry guns; they shoot at criminals. You just wipe that concept away as "other than an officer". Now, if after having dealt with that huge number, you're still finding that there are too many cases of accidental or incorrect shootings, I think that's a fair and important question.

And (b), with respect to statistics, no matter how you slice it, the Left will simply not accept that Blacks are superrepresented in the figures because of their wildly (3 times their representation in the population) high representation in violent crime statistics. If that simply doesn't count, then we're at an impasse because those figures certainly count in my thinking. For example, BLM wants the cessation of policing. That's just as ridiculous as the call for killing cops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I have some sympathy with this, until we know we cannot say this was anything less then a tragic accident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Regular?

It really doesn't matter because stats don't count for you guys. By that I mean, (a) of course there are a lot more non-police being shot at; that's why police carry guns; they shoot at criminals. You just wipe that concept away as "other than an officer". Now, if after having dealt with that huge number, you're still finding that there are too many cases of accidental or incorrect shootings, I think that's a fair and important question.

And (b), with respect to statistics, no matter how you slice it, the Left will simply not accept that Blacks are superrepresented in the figures because of their wildly (3 times their representation in the population) high representation in violent crime statistics. If that simply doesn't count, then we're at an impasse because those figures certainly count in my thinking. For example, BLM wants the cessation of policing. That's just as ridiculous as the call for killing cops.

You probably should have just admitted you got the numbers wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:

How so? The officer is precisely the type of individual even most anti-gunner types say should have a firearm -- a trained member of the government (in this case the police).

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

How so? The officer is precisely the type of individual even most anti-gunner types say should have a firearm -- a trained member of the government (in this case the police).

Ferret
I think the point is the cop has to assume he is dealing with someone who is armed, and thus has to assume his life may be in danger from someone who may be about the resist arrest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Ferret

A trained comoetent police officer yes, apparently this human being, no.

I do agree with you the previous post was a bit trite and soundbite-y though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Ferret

I don't know anything about this particular officer's training -- if you do please share!

Shadrach wrote:

Concur, and thank you for seeing that.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Ferret
I think the point is the cop has to assume he is dealing with someone who is armed, and thus has to assume his life may be in danger from someone who may be about the resist arrest.

I agree that was likely the situation; that doesn't strike me as what Dearlove seemed to be saying.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Ferret

I agree that was likely the situation; that doesn't strike me as what Dearlove seemed to be saying.

Ferret
It's exactly how I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Ferret

I don't know anything about this particular officer's training -- if you do please share!

Shadrach wrote:

Concur, and thank you for seeing that.

Ferret

Particular officer, no. But I do know officer training is woefully short, I started it once before I got another job, I don't think I would have made a good cop at the time, the mental headspace and attitude requirements (to be good, not to pass training) are narrow. I would do better now if I were to go bwck to it, but I'm good where I am.

I also know that officers who are bad enough to be fired ('resign') can move and get a job in a new district without much trouble. In fwct they tend to be a big part of the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Because:

C) they aren't there to control and shape society, nor are they political or militarised
D) they get actual (years of) training, and are required to undergo continual training, just like many other professionals

and plenty more, but that should be a nice starting point for where your society and your police have gone so very wrong.

Also - authority? Don't make me laugh. Australians have no respect for "authority". That's not why the general population and the police have a decent relationship here.

In several European countries that I know you also simply get your speeding ticket by mail. Actually, police there is usually busy handling actual crimes than controlling traffic. In 10 years driving in Germany I have seen two traffic stops; both late at night to get drunks off the streets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Because:

In several European countries that I know you also simply get your speeding ticket by mail. Actually, police there is usually busy handling actual crimes than controlling traffic. In 10 years driving in Germany I have seen two traffic stops; both late at night to get drunks off the streets.
We also tend to have police forces larger then one village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
isaacc wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Regular?

Do I interpret you correctly to be admitting that police are killed during traffic stops extremely rarely?

I have no idea where you're coming from with the accusation that stats don't matter to us guys. They've changed my mind about lots of issues, and I actually went looking for statistics to determine whether your assertion was true (which it seems you never have). But you're right that interpreting statistics is theory-laden; bias can creep in that way. So even if all of my statistics and inferences from them about rates are correct, my interpretation that police should ease off on the perception of threat might be wrong. That's part of why I'm presenting that chain of reasoning to you; you seem like a person with different biases from mine, who might be able to check my work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
isaacc wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Regular?

Do I interpret you correctly to be admitting that police are killed during traffic stops extremely rarely?

I have no idea where you're coming from with the accusation that stats don't matter to us guys. They've changed my mind about lots of issues, and I actually went looking for statistics to determine whether your assertion was true (which it seems you never have). But you're right that interpreting statistics is theory-laden; bias can creep in that way. So even if all of my statistics and inferences from them about rates are correct, my interpretation that police should ease off on the perception of threat might be wrong. That's part of why I'm presenting that chain of reasoning to you; you seem like a person with different biases from mine, who might be able to check my work.

What he means is his favorite statistic about the higher rate of violent crimes by African-Americans hasn't convinced all who encounter it that it explains every bad thing that happens in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.