G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'd like to be able to easily compare game complexity (that user rating from 0 to 5). This could be in the games I've added to my own collection, or simply to the existing rank lists (Family, Strategy, Children, Party Games and the overall Board Games).

Is there a way to add this column to the view, or to group consult the complexity of the games? I had to manually write down the complexity and sort them in Excel.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, however you can download a .csv (spreadsheet) file of your collection that has all fields. Top right in the Collection list.

Someone may have a utility that does what you want. I trust someone more aware of it will chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, it works for my own collection, thanks.

However, I can't do it for the general ranking lists (Strategy, Children, etc.). Any other suggestion for that?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be available through the XML interface, but I'm unsure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameSnake wrote:
However, I can't do it for the general ranking lists (Strategy, Children, etc.). Any other suggestion for that?

I have been working on Python-based utilities to extract and report on data from BGG. Can you explain further what you want to happen here - and why a "general ranking list" is more useful than ranking your own games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Can you explain further what you want to happen here - and why a "general ranking list" is more useful than ranking your own games?

I regularly consult the various lists, sorted by rank, to see what are the top games. This helps me decide/consider which game I will purchase next.

However, I've noticed that some of the games that are really well likes are possibly over-rated (in my opinion, or in comparison to how I would rank them), and I'm guessing that the reason may be that they are "easier" (lower complexity) games and that the users rating them are more novice.

I could be totally wrong in my assumptions, but to answer your questions, I felt that looking at the top X games, having not only the ranking information but also the "complexity" information would help me make decisions on which games to consider. I tend to like more complex games.

For example (and I am not judging anyone, nor do I want to start a debate on this), I was surprised to see 7 Wonder Duel next to Through the ages.

So, to sum it up, it was just a matter of having an additional "overview" tool when browsing games, and not having to click on each one. Also, I wanted to "sort by complexity" and see which games were the ones ranked the more complex... out of curiosity.

Let me know if you come up with a python script.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mb
So yeh, the Excel thing didn't work ...

Sure would like this in the Collection view options. Please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.