Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there ever be a reason to have more than 1 starter set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - the game doesn't require it, but since it's a miniatures game you can play with as many miniatures as you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Queree
Australia
Lalor Park
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed a second set at Spartan's recent sale. We've had a couple of games with one starter set and while there seem to be plenty of models, the reality is that it's only about five units per side.

So: single starter set is enough to get some small games done but an extra set will be a good expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I will likely stick with the one starter set after all, even though I realize it would have been more economical to get a 2nd one in getting more stuff.

I had ordered the extra Warthogs, that I would want anyway, as they give the extra weapons options. So 4 total is a decent number for now.

I got the Storm Ghosts, as I wanted an upgraded version of the base set Ghosts, so now I have 6 of those and 3 Scout Ghosts. So that offers a bit of variety.

I ordered 2 of each tank, so I'll have 2 per side and options for an armored battlegroup if wanting to go by the official requirements. But having 2 tanks per side will be neat, though I'm sure there will be various combinations of army builds that will have none, 1 or 2 tanks in a force.

I'm looking forward to adding the Jackals and Recon/Sniper expansions after the holidays. That will beef up my infantry and offer more variety/options.

So I'll certainly have spent more this way than just getting 2 starter sets, but I'll have a lot more options. I can always add more basic troop units to each side if I want. But for now, I'll have decent sized games. Also, a friend of mine has 2 starter sets, having the Covenant painted so far, and another friend has a starter set, but hasn't gotten to painting it yet. So if nothing else, when playing with them, there will be more units available between us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul jamison
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr_Q wrote:
So: single starter set is enough to get some small games done but an extra set will be a good expansion.

agreed, once the tanks and larger points games become more 'normal' (probably just as planned) it may be useful to have more basic/cannon-fodder available to throw into a list.
especially if you're interested in an infantry bias list.

i bought two boxes mainly because it bumps up my available choices quickly and cheaply. even if my opponent brings some more expensive tanks and a larger list i can still throw more infantry 'horde' at it and play at even points.

can't imagine they'll take the intro box off the market anytime soon though so probably no rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as it turned out, I ended up getting a 2nd starter set

A friend had bought it and the Halo Fleet Battles starter set and never got around to playing, and realized he'd never get the minis assembled and painted. He gave both of them to me on New Year's Eve, but I couldn't just take them so I gave him the $35 I had in my wallet.

I assembled and primed the Hunters from the 2nd base set, but just got my 2nd Wraith primed and want to get it finished, as well as my 2nd Scorpion finished before diving into those Hunters and other 2nd base set units. Though, I also have 2 Recon, 2 Jackal Assault, 2 Jackal Marksmen and the Elite Officer on order. So if I get those before I get to the 2nd base set, then I'll paint those first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.