Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the last couple of weeks we have seen the impact of The Cult! It currently has a few days to go but this thread is about Slaughterville and what is coming for the future. I want to get opinions and thoughts on these plans.

1: The one thing that people want is more and do we have that planned. I have enough content for at least 8 more villains and about a dozen locations ready in one stage or another. There are 2 Villains and 2 Locations that are basically finished and just need art. I am getting a prototype of those made ASAP to take to cons and demos.

2: Now many have asked what will happen now that the box is full. To that end, we are considering 2 options. The first is that we have a small box for the new content like some other companies do OR we do a Big Box. I have the approximate dimensions of the Big Box and it will hold 38 mats and about 1000 cards with sleeves. The problem is shipping. Sure, the box will be lighter than Slaughterville because only the expansions will be included but the box is still quite large. I am in the process of getting manufacturing and shipping quotes for both the small box and the Big Box.

3: About the Big Box, it has been suggested that instead of vacuum formed plastic inserts that we use plain cardboard for lowered cost.

That being said, what do you think?

We do not have a formal pricing structure in place and won't until our quotes are back so we can't discuss that yet but would you want the Big Box even if the shipping were more (mainly for our EU Citizens...just spent $65 to send a package to an awesome citizen in Belgium so shipping is high).

What would you like to see in this expansion/campaign? What do you just not care about? What would be in your dream box? (Aside from the Dream Demon...)

Be ready to read the revised rule book as soon as I get it in the pretty format! Has the FAQ implementation, Easy Mode, and Hard Mode!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard for the insert sounds fine to me, and this is all exciting news. I would like to see (if possible) some famous licensed villains perhaps. Chucky, Jason, Pinhead etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly so would we! We had intended on some of them for our first iteration but the reality is that licensing is 25-40 thousand dollars (25K domestic and more for overseas) and we are not ready to make that big of a purchase before even launching (they don't let you pay once the campaign ends...). So even if we increased our funding needs to accommodate, we would already be that far in the hole before the first pledge. Once we can get proper funding and a reliable revenue stream, famous names are more likely to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maverick444 wrote:

3: About the Big Box, it has been suggested that instead of vacuum formed plastic inserts that we use plain cardboard for lowered cost.

That being said, what do you think?

Plain cardboard for lowered cost would be my vote.

maverick444 wrote:

What would you like to see in this expansion/campaign? What do you just not care about? What would be in your dream box? (Aside from the Dream Demon...)

*looks at his wall of 2500+ horror movies*
I'm sure I can think of some ideas. Need some time though and right now I can't even recall all the villains in Slaughterville

Offhand:
Bloody Mary (ala Candyman). I don't know if Bloody Mary is copyright (a number of movies use that as their title or subtitle)

maverick444 wrote:

Be ready to read the revised rule book as soon as I get it in the pretty format! Has the FAQ implementation, Easy Mode, and Hard Mode!

I'll be happy to read the revised rule book.
FYI: I never got to all the villains. To be honest maybe just 3 or 4. Hopefully the main questions with the other villains already came up and were covered in the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally throw out inserts so don't care too much about them, but a big box is good. Also be able to get the game would be great .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting times!

I'll throw in my vote for cardboard. The fancy inserts are fine until somebody adds something or the owner pimps the game and then it is all foamcore and origami. The big box is always nice to keep everything nice and snug but I don't have to have that either.

As for content - more characters aren't too necessary unless there are more drastic differences. Too many choices really bogs down the selection process as the abilities of each character have to be compared. More locations is a win. As for what locations...the mysterious government/military building is a good one. The scary house on the corner (or was it the last house on the left?). The old, abandoned meat packing plant. The crash site (a meteor, strange craft, etc). That's all stream of consciousness so those are likely very obvious.

Villains - the alien threat, the swamp creature, the government experiment that goes awry. Again, the obvious ones that come to mind.

Finally, additive decks to locations like you are doing with the Cult. A few cards that add to locations and help tie the locations to the villain. That's a great idea. They can be added for extra difficulty or flavor.

Finally...a great rule book with a bit more focus on the individual villains. The problem with modular games like yours is that there are really only a few basic rules as they are generally greatly changed/enhanced by each separate villain. It makes the game very versatile but also confusing. I look forward to what you come up with! As for inspiration: Cabin in the Woods and Stranger Things - both pay homage to horror films and in those there is plenty of common tropes you can bend to your game.

Exciting indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL San Miguel
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From the other side of the pond...

1 - Option to also get base game,
2 - EU friendly, reasonable shipping charges to EU,
3 - Big box, cheapest insert (probably thrown away anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the plan to include a compartmentalised insert with dividers, similar to something like Summoner Wars Alliances? That's my favourite game box for storage and I'd love something like that, but no idea whether that's within budget.

I usually tend to chuck out cheaper inserts but, with the amount of space taken by Slaughterville cards when sleeved, I would love a good storage solution with a custom insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Cardboard or plastic, it still would be setup for storage. I gave a mock-up image I will try and post in the other thread later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to share quick. I was just in a conversation with George and we were scheduling when we were going to meet and discuss the next game (we have several and are wondering which to unveil/hype next). He then asked me if we should do th Slaughterville expansion next and when it might be ready. I said I can go tomorrow I have 3 villains and 2 locations basically finished except for art (that is his area). I can have, if they are reached via stretch goals, a few more villains ready. I am waiting on the quote for the big box though. That is my hold up. But know that Slaughterville is about to get some new visitors...soon! Would be a great Halloween project don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The manufacturer told me that the quote will be coming next week. They are looking into getting information on:
1. The Big Box with a plastic insert
2. Big Box with carboard insert (like those in Fantasy Flight Games)
3. A Smaller box that just has the expansion.

After my telephone meeting with George where we were discussing some future projects, I got to see the early concept art for our next game and it is very cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunnings
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maverick444 wrote:
The manufacturer told me that the quote will be coming next week. They are looking into getting information on:

After my telephone meeting with George where we were discussing some future projects, I got to see the early concept art for our next game and it is very cool...

Aww come on. Stop teasing us like this!

As for my vote, I'd prefer a big box with plastic since the "small" box looks so well put together, but money and shipping will be the decider for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrCookio wrote:
maverick444 wrote:

Aww come on. Stop teasing us like this!

As for my vote, I'd prefer a big box with plastic since the "small" box looks so well put together, but money and shipping will be the decider for me.

The cost and shipping will decide it for us too We understand putting out a project with expensive shipping will not get as much attention as that with more reasonable shipping. We will do our best but there are always some unfortunate countries with high shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.