Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or has there been a sizeable jump in the number of auctions? I only have anecdotal observations but it seems like I get 5-6 auction notifications per day where it used to be 2 or so.

I wonder if we are in the midst of some sort of gaming bubble? It would appear that the publishing industry is churning out games at a tremendous rate (kickstarter et al). When does the accelerating prodcution of games become unsustainable?

I might have to start short-selling some of my games..... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been this way for at least two to three years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Is it just me or has there been a sizeable jump in the number of auctions? I only have anecdotal observations but it seems like I get 5-6 auction notifications per day where it used to be 2 or so.

I wonder if we are in the midst of some sort of gaming bubble? It would appear that the publishing industry is churning out games at a tremendous rate (kickstarter et al). When does the accelerating prodcution of games become unsustainable?

I might have to start short-selling some of my games..... whistle

pre gencon and spiel auctions to get some money for the new games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suspect it's more to do with the fact that Gen Con happened just a couple of weeks ago. With Gen Con comes a glut of new games. As people acquire several new games at once, it wouldn't be uncommon to hold auctions to help fund those acquisitions/clear shelf space for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the auctions for about a year now and it has seemed pretty steady to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on daily, it's been increasing over time, but nothing considerable. Like someone mentioned gencon and Essen. There seems to be a slight uptick around big events. But other then those small variations, I don't think there is a glut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. I am surprised not only about how many auctions there are these days but also about how many games people are selling that seem not great or that I have absolutely no interest in. It's like we are buying not only too many games but not great games too perhaps because of the cult of the new that haven't been vetted enough by the community before we dive in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
I agree with you. I am surprised not only about how many auctions there are these days but also about how many games people are selling that seem not great or that I have absolutely no interest in. It's like we are buying not only too many games but not great games too perhaps because of the cult of the new that haven't been vetted enough by the community before we dive in.

sometimes people outplay games where they no longer enjoy them and want to sell them to buy newer ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
I was really disappointed when I clicked on this and it wasn't an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It varies throughout the year, this is usually a busy time of year for auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is usually a busy time of year. It seems slightly more busy than normal compared to last year at this time. But it will stay strong until the end of the year as we come upon the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's awesome. Of course it always rises when my gaming budget is weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bid $10 on the glut. How much will shipping be?

I suspect right now it's just post-convention evening out - folks selling off stuff to make room for what they've bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Eisenberger

spotsylvania
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S$12 for the Glut. Local pickup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:

This is true, but on the other hand people are putting up good older games that are OOP in many cases, so that's a perk.

I would add that I think it shows the marketplace might be not as effective as an auction. When it's an auction, people will buy more games to save on shipping and you get the impulse buy/competition/bargain hunter effects.

I have noticed there are more auctions for raising money than I have seen in the past, as well. It's a good way to raise some cash quickly, rather than letting games languish on the marketplace.

I do think things are changing in the board game world. People recognize the value of now out of print games (think about it, the older the hobby gets, the more OOP games there are) and growing education and experience of board gamers finds people looking now for really good games as their tastes get more sophisticated. On the other hand, the explosion of new games makes some older games less attractive because the mechanisms and game play have been improved upon, the artwork made better and newer better designed games are more appealing to modern gamers. So it's a mixed bag when looking at auctions for games people are interested in buying for those reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.