Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A&A: WAS MATCH PLAY VARIANT:
Given that most games of Axis & Allies: War at Sea do not take very long to resolve, it seems to be perfectly suited for a match play system, similar to what many players do for games such as Memoir ’44. Here is a simple suggested match play set-up for A&A:WAS.

An Axis & Allies: War at Sea Match consists of two games between players. Each player picks his initial national fleet (200-point fleets are my preference, but any number is fine). Game 1 is played per the standard rules, including objectives, and scored in the normal manner, except for the addition of “retreating” scoring, explained later. However, after Game 1 is completed, the players switch sides, exchanging original nationalities and play a second game (Game 2). The players may select different units than were used for the given nationalities in Game 1, and “sunken” ships (and "destroyed" aircraft) from Game 1 may “return” for Game 2. Fleet point size for Game 2 shall be the same as for Game 1. Game 2 is played and scored in the normal manner, except once again for the addition of “retreating” scoring – see below. Each player then adds his scores from Games 1 and 2. The player with the highest combined score from Games 1 and 2 is the match winner.

Example: Leo picks the US for Game 1, and Dan picks Japan. They play a 200-point game in Game 1 and Leo wins 263-45. Now, they switch sides and Leo is now Japan and Dan is the US. Each player selects new 200-point fleets for their new sides and play Game 2. Dan wins Game 2 by a score of 271-40. Each player now tallies their scores from Games 1 and 2. Leo scored 263+40 = 303, and Dan scored 45+271 = 316. Dan wins the match 316 to 303!

RETREAT SCORING: An additional scoring mechanism is introduced based on the concept of “retreating”. During any movement phase of either Game 1 or 2, either player may choose to have one or more of their surface or sub units “retreat” off their side of the battlemap. To do this, a unit may leave the friendly edge of the map during the movement phase if it has enough movement points to do so. Once such a ship retreats off the board in this manner, it may not return in that game. Further, the opponent scores victory points for each ship/sub that retreats! The points scored for each ship that retreats are half of the ship’s victory point value, rounded up. Aircraft are not eligible for retreats (NOTE: aircraft associated with a retreating aircraft carrier may now be considered land-based, so long as there is room at the airbase per stacking rules. If there is no room at the AB, the player must then remove the airplanes and the opponent in this case DOES score 1/2 the VP value for the aircraft as well).

I have primarily added this rule to simulate the reality that most naval engagements ended with one side deciding it had had enough and breaking contact, rather than fighting to the death. The objectives in the middle of the map still generate plenty of incentive to sally forth to claim their associated victory points, so the retreat scoring should not inflict "turtling" on the game. However, this rule should generate some interesting stern chases near the end of each game as damaged and crippled ships attempt to disengage rather than to be caught and sunk for their full VP value!

OPTIONAL RULE: RAIDING SCORING: I could also see adding an optional rule to further modify scoring, by providing for a "raiding" score, whereby if a player can exit one of his ships/subs off the OPPONENT'S edge of the battlemap, that player scores victory points worth half of that ship/sub's VP value. This rule could simulate attempting to break through an enemy screen to attack a convoy or invasion force, or bombard an enemy coast or island. Such raiding points could only be scored while there are still enemy ships on the battlemap. Once the last enemy ship is either sunk or retreats, no more friendly ships may be exited off the opponent's side for raiding points.

SCORING SUMMARY USING THE ABOVE RULES:
1. Map Objectives: 50 points each per standard rules
2. Destroyed Enemy Units: Full VP value for each such unit
3. Retreated Enemy Units: 1/2 VP value for each such unit
4. Raiding Friendly Units: 1/2 VP value for each such unit

I'd like to know if anyone tries this approach and how it works for them, especially the "retreat" and "raiding" rules! Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting post,

I like your Retreat rule and the rationale behind it.
We will try it.

Thanks
Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good way to run a tournament. Also solves the problem if both players want Allies or Axis. This way they can play both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.