Subject: Holding cards and sharing info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Archmage Lurhem
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

As explained in the book:
Because it is a cooperative game, there is no reason for players to keep their cards hidden.
But
They always using the term in your hands in the book for rules.

We wonder if it is fair to keep our cards opened on the table in front of us. Then, we (all players) are able to see what we have each other for a better planning in the game.

What do you think of it?

Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they author of the rule book used conventional game terminology in order to avoid unnecessary complication. Whether your cards are lying flat on the table, in one of those little card-holder thingies, or literally in your hand, they are still, figuratively speaking, in your hand. That is, the cards, as a whole, comprise your hand of cards as long as they are in your position, regardless of how they are arrayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai-Arne Reiter
Netherlands
Grubbenvorst
Limburg
flag msg tools
mb
If you have an "Alpha Player" problem it might be fun to NOT show all your cards, that way you need to discuss and ask for cards on your turn..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never been a fan of open ended trading. It bogs down the flow of the game and can cause alpha gaming. It is my reason for not liking Catan.
For beginners, I'd say just play open hands.
For seasoned players, I'd say the following; Every player optionally places 1 card face up in front of them. The active player can only exchange their card for one of these offers.
This keeps all players engaged because they need to know the current threats, eliminates Alpha gaming, and keeps the game flowing quickly.
All players can discus what they need, but are encouraged to not explicitly show/say what they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
err404 wrote:
I never been a fan of open ended trading. It bogs down the flow of the game and can cause alpha gaming. It is my reason for not liking Catan.

I'm not a fan, either, but this is not Catan. You are not bargaining and haggling without even knowing what the other players actually have. Because it's a cooperative game with open info, you just look around and ask for the card you need, or someone suggests that you take a given card.

Quote:
For seasoned players, I'd say the following; Every player optionally places 1 card face up in front of them. The active player can only exchange their card for one of these offers.
This keeps all players engaged because they need to know the current threats, eliminates Alpha gaming, and keeps the game flowing quickly.
All players can discus what they need, but are encouraged to not explicitly show/say what they have.

I think your idea would actually bog down the game more. You are just shifting the discussion. The one thing that I find most annoying - and time-consuming - in cooperative games is the need to keep asking what others have in their hand, because the rules, in an attempt to promote discussion, prohibit the players from showing their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
GSReis wrote:
err404 wrote:

I think your idea would actually bog down the game more. You are just shifting the discussion. The one thing that I find most annoying - and time-consuming - in cooperative games is the need to keep asking what others have in their hand, because the rules, in an attempt to promote discussion, prohibit the players from showing their cards.

I believe those rules are in other games to prevent Alpha gaming. It's more difficult to be an Alpha player if you don't know what anyone else has. STP sidesteps the issue of Alpha gaming to a decent extent because you don't know what the situation of the future rounds will be. Even the existing threats may change at the end of the current turn depending on the tiles drawn. So most of the focus needs to be on the best options for the current turn, and that's where the discussion comes in (especially in deciding whether to play a card for the mission or to use its effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.