Hide
13 Posts

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Hero Combat vs Hero Assist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
So there is a new set of rules as far as I can tell there are two sets of rules going around for Heroes in Combat.

1) Heroes in the same location as a battle can be assigned to any round of combat you have a model for. Then you draw a extra fate card for the hero in that round and discard one of the fate cards for your physical models.

2) In the banner of war there is a rule set for Heroes to physically act like a unit model, taking wounds and fighting. You can only have 1 Hero unit in game at a time assigned to unit combat.

Which rule set do you use, or do you use both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you ate misunderstanding #2. The general rule for commanders does not allow the hero to fight or take damage, but instead their presence gives an ability baaed on the card that commander has. One of the cards does allow the commander to take damage, but it's not a general rule.

The commander rules are compatible with the hero support rules. You can use both together just fine.

That said, I don't care for the commander rules myself, so I typically don't use that variant, but it's nothing to do with incompatibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask why so many people don't care for the commander rule.
I don't think it's to fiddly... just draw one more card for one of your ranks and discard one for that. Quite easy and it does give you a little boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
May I ask why so many people don't care for the commander rule.
I don't think it's to fiddly... just draw one more card for one of your ranks and discard one for that. Quite easy and it does give you a little boost.

I disagree about the fiddliness. It's not just the card, it's the fact there are so many little extra rules and restrictions, and it doesn't really provide a lot of extra benefit. Most of the wonkiness arises from what happens when your Commander is killed and getting a new one, and there are just a lot of corner cases that can come up.

Plus, some of the Commander abilities are WIDELY swingy, with some being useless and others being really strong.

Overall, I just didn't find them enjoyable and more trouble than they are worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have the (old) basegame with the revised rulebook. From your answer I asume there are a lot more options in BoW for commanders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
I just have the (old) basegame with the revised rulebook. From your answer I asume there are a lot more options in BoW for commanders?

The Banners of War Rulebook is freely available for download. You could take a quick look if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much easier to just ask here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Much easier to just ask here

Commanders are only found in BoW. They aren't in the base game, even the revised edition. The revised edition allows for herto support, but that is very different than commanders (and is much more straightforward).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... alright. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
If you are not playing he hero combat BoW version... are there any heroes you should take out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
If you are not playing he hero combat BoW version... are there any heroes you should take out?

I'm not sure what you mean by "hero combat BoW version". Do you mean the Commander variant?

Regardless, no - none of the heroes are really dependent upon the Commander variant nor on the "Support" rules from the revised edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
DayinDaLife wrote:

no - none of the heroes are really dependent upon the Commander variant nor on the "Support" rules from the revised edition.

Yeah that is what I mean. I think the Hero Assist thing is pretty neat way of getting them into combat. I think that is a new rule though, as I do not remember it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
DayinDaLife wrote:

no - none of the heroes are really dependent upon the Commander variant nor on the "Support" rules from the revised edition.

Yeah that is what I mean. I think the Hero Assist thing is pretty neat way of getting them into combat. I think that is a new rule though, as I do not remember it.

It's one of the few changes that were made in the Revised Edition. Most of the Revised edition is the same with just a few tweaks (which I am glad for, because you can own the original edition and use the Revised Edition rules without having to have all new components).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.