Subject: 7 Player Game and Fog of War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
So I have designed a free-for-all 7 player scenario using victory point locations that need to be held (along with a few other victory point goals). Is there a good way to be able to still keep the fog of war with that many people or is it basically impossible? I thought about having units placed face down but you would then need some way of knowing what step strength your unit was at.

Any suggestions of what others have done would be appreciated. Perhaps buying the cheap little round colored stickers that can be placed on the sides of the units to denote step when the unit is face down? Simply pull off the old one and discard it and put a new one on when the step changes? I know you would go through a ton of those stickers but not sure what other way one could do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have some spare blank blocks, you could put blank blocks on the ends covering up the labels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
If you have some spare blank blocks, you could put blank blocks on the ends covering up the labels.

As long as there are more than one block together in a hex it ought to always be possible to arrange them so that the labels are not visible from anywhere without needing any extra blocks.

With only one block (or more if you must), putting the blocks face down probably works with some effort if you just make sure everyone can learn to always put them face-down the same direction every time (eg always tilt them down towards yourself). There has been a few games using cardboard counters that have four sides like blockgame-blocks, where you need to keep the counters face-down just like that, so at least some people think it works (I can't recall actually playing one of those games though, so I can not say for sure that it works).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, good point. Yes, I guess you only need a blank block if you have only 1 block in a hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can play with all blocks face down. Just decide on a direction of hex facing to indicate block strength, say north, and all players face down blocks face that direction with their current number of pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be sharing this scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>

Have played many 5 and 6 player games of Wizard Kings in home-brew 'eXXXtreme conquest' scenario. Never had a problem with blocks all facing the individual players. Always considered bad form to peek (it is cheating, you know). Also with multiple blocks per hex you can and should side stack them so only 1 block is actually visible if accidentally viewed. And if you're paranoid, it could be an opportunity for some disinformation dissemination. Unbuilt blocks also kept hidden facing player.

I use pre-constructed 60 block armies plus an equal number of mobile money and boat blocks for each army. Armies are designed and limited to reflect strengths and weaknesses of the asymmetrical army design. Original version 1 blocks are part of each army except feudals (no Ferkins need apply). Nobody ever gets to build all their blocks of course. Just adds a lot of variety and uncertainy.

See:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1644078/wizard-kings-20-exx...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For those interested in multi-player WK, I just posted "Wizard Kings 2.0 eXXXtreme Conquest" for 2-7 players in the WK variant forum.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1644078/wizard-kings-20-exx...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.