Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: I built a board gaming table (for a little more than $150) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyre Reid
msg tools
Inspired by the gaming table for $150 thread and drooling over the geek chic tables, I decided to embark upon a quest to fashion a table. I ended up taking ideas from several other tables and drafting up a custom one.

Anyway, without further ado:

Full album with instruction and comments: imgur.com/a/8M63t
Sketchup files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx1qe9bjaxvvu69/Gaming%20Table.skp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you please add an image of your table to your BGG Gallery? Take one within mid-game if you could. Thanks!

Do you have plans of lining the play surface with any fabric/neoprene?

Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyre Reid
msg tools
First I have to say that your mega-thread helped me a lot in figuring out which features I wanted to include so I'm assuming you want these for the megathread. I uploaded a couple of pictures today but will get you a staged game photo today for the thread.

We have talked about adding felt or another type of surface (neoprene) but haven't pulled the trigger yet. We are going to play a couple games this weekend on it and determine if we want to change the setup at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kyrereid wrote:
First I have to say that your mega-thread helped me a lot in figuring out which features I wanted to include so I'm assuming you want these for the megathread. I uploaded a couple of pictures today but will get you a staged game photo today for the thread.

Thanks! I'm glad it helped.

kyrereid wrote:

We have talked about adding felt or another type of surface (neoprene) but haven't pulled the trigger yet. We are going to play a couple games this weekend on it and determine if we want to change the setup at all.

Personally I would not use felt since the stuff you typically find in the fabric stores will pill and cause you headaches after it starts to wear. My advice would be to use neoprene. I was a believer in using microfiber but since card sleeving many of my games I found that microfiber sometimes snags the card sleeves which I didn't like. Neoprene does not have this issue but is more costly. Heck, you spent time and money on a nice custom table you built, why not splurge and get a nice play surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyre Reid
msg tools
Started looking around for some today. I would love to find a neoprene similar to the steelseries over sized mouse pads that are thing and rubberized on the bottom but fits the dimensions of the gaming area.

Here are some additional pics I took today:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Law
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous! Well done! I like seeing everyone else's tableaus while playing games though, which is obviously much easier with a regular flat table rather than an inset table. How do you handle that aspect of the game? (Seeing what other players have in front of them.) Again, very impressive woodworking skills here. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Prater
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrereid wrote:

If you've seen the Geek Chic tables, they use Bella Velvet for their game surfaces and it's wonderful. I used it on my table and I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Helgeson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How close were you to your $150 goal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work and I am very jealous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyre Reid
msg tools
All told it took about $220 in materials. I live in California in the bay area though so lumber costs are probably a bit higher. They seemed quite a bit higher than the build your table for $150 guys' cost. I bought some specialized tools which cost a little more as well. Here's the tool list though:

Air Nailer
Kreg Joiner Jig (Purchased for this project)
3/4" Chisel (and a hammer)
Pocket Surform plane
Model Maker Plane (Purchased for this project)
Electric Drill
Table Saw
Compound Miter Saw
Random Orbital Sander
Mouse Sander (Purchased for this project. Awesome for finish work)
Clamps (I have 8 Quick Grip clamps of various sizes. Probably could have used more)
Back Saw
Hack Saw

I listed out the tools I used. Some of them were probably not appropriate for the job but i used them anyway. For example, I put dowel pins in screw holes and used a hack saw to cut off the top. I found I was putting marks in the wood so ended up using a hacksaw blade with tape as hand holds to finish the job which worked much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of wood is this made of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
What kind of wood is this made of?

Definitely looks like Pine.

Beautiful table, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vosberg
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
That's a beautiful table. I have been scouring the web looking at designs and ways to make one inexpensively as well. Great Job!

Do you find it hard to move the pieces in the middle of the table at all with your table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyre Reid
msg tools
ncvosberg wrote:
That's a beautiful table. I have been scouring the web looking at designs and ways to make one inexpensively as well. Great Job!

Do you find it hard to move the pieces in the middle of the table at all with your table?

Not too bad so far. The one change I would do is make it about 6 inches narrower.

I have uploaded my sketchup files above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.