Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read there was a new game with a Celtic them I went straight to the link, and then saw the artwork..
Anyone else disappointed in this or have I missed something ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Love the cover art.

It reminds me of Alexandre Roche's art (ie. Troyes, Carson City, the Golden Ages) and they'll all sit proudly together. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
Love the cover art.

It reminds me of Alexandre Roche's art (ie. Troyes, Carson City, the Golden Ages) and they'll all sit proudly together. cool
TBH, the cover is a major reason this won't be on my shelf. That may sound strange, but there are so many great games out now that Inis sets itself apart in the absolute wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It uses a style that I have often seen associated with older Celtic materials. It is jarring - but at least it is a little different. But if the gameplay is good then I will give it a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
When I read there was a new game with a Celtic them I went straight to the link, and then saw the artwork..

It's thematic. How can you be disappointed in artwork, when that artwork is the very core of Celtic myths and history?

I mean, what kind of Celtic were you looking for, Boston Celtics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art too. I think the card art is even better... can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/6H0ZS1m9quQ?t=4m20s

Not a fan of the terrain tile art though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. S.
Spain
flag msg tools
JBTheChamp wrote:

Hahaha if I remember correctly the art is from quite an important artist that uses Celtic iconography/style or something, they had to convince him to work on a board game, since he's not your regular board game illustrator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aploribus wrote:
Hahaha if I remember correctly the art is from quite an important artist that uses Celtic iconography/style or something, they had to convince him to work on a board game, since he's not your regular board game illustrator.

Indeed! http://www.jimfitzpatrick.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
captainpigwash wrote:
Not a fan of the terrain tile art though.

Exactly, the tiles art felt too digital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

It's thematic. How can you be disappointed in artwork, when that artwork is the very core of Celtic myths and history?

I mean, what kind of Celtic were you looking for, Boston Celtics?

OK, so the artwork isn't bad, it's Celtic, in which case it's thematic and makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork certainly references Jim Fitzpatrick.

http://www.jimfitzpatrick.com/product-category/celtic-irish-...

His work for these covers is amazing.

HOWEVER

IMO, the cover art for the game is really a far cry from these prints.

1. The lines do not have enough contrast.

2. The staging on the cover is non-heroic. Just a few people standing around.

3. The character in the foreground has his back to the viewer without an indication of why the central character has importance. The subjects are all looking at this central female character but yet she strikes no inspirational pose.

4. There is no centrality to the image. Nothing speaks of a meaning to the reason we are looking at the image.

5. Last but not least, and this is just a personal thing, there is no magic, mysticism, or romance in the image.

Certainly the art has the style of Jim Fitzpatrick, but this, sir, is no Jim Fitzpatrick image.

The cover art, which is intended to make the viewer want to learn more, has really turned me off so much so that I'm focusing on other games at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Certainly the art has the style of Jim Fitzpatrick, but this, sir, is no Jim Fitzpatrick image.

Except that it is by Jim Fitzpatrick. It's got his signature on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, you're probably quite familiar with Jim Fitzpatrick's most famous image...although you never realized it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

Hey Tahsin,

I can understand that you do not like this image but it is a genuine Jim Fitzpatrick image.

I hope you'll like the game though!

Cheers,

Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
veector wrote:

Hey Tahsin,

I can understand that you do not like this image but it is a genuine Jim Fitzpatrick image.

I hope you'll like the game though!

Cheers,

Christian

My comments were tongue in cheek. Of course, I can see the artist indicated it is Jim Fitzpatrick and I apologize if anything came off as antagonistic.

However, I really am surprised that this image was used given that the other art by Jim in the game (based on what I see in this gallery) certainly has his style, power, and emotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry, I didn't understand you were joking, and no need to apologize, you certainly were not antagonistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art, and I'm Irish, originally, if that means anything :-)

The tiles are the weakest part, and I'm really curious about what Matagot said about release copies possibly having art changes from these previews. I am hoping the tiles might change.

Still buying it anyway :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:

Unbelievable! Did he think this kind of work was so much below him that he didn't even try? If I were the publisher, I'd be furious. It looks like the work of some kid playing with crayons.

However, I can ignore the box art during play, and the tile art is my real concern. I don't think it's bad in itself (it's actually much prettier than the hideous cover), but it simply doesn't work for tiles that are supposed to form a map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Kris wrote:

Unbelievable! Did he think this kind of work was so much below him that he didn't even try? If I were the publisher, I'd be furious. It looks like the work of some kid playing with crayons.

However, I can ignore the box art during play, and the tile art is my real concern. I don't think it's bad in itself (it's actually much prettier than the hideous cover), but it simply doesn't work for tiles that are supposed to form a map.

I hate to break it to you, but this is what Celtic art looks like, and Jim Fitzpatrick is regarded as one of the very best...at least in Ireland. As for the tiles, I think they look great. It's all subjective in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:

The art style is one of the best I've seen in a game recently! The card art absolutely blows my mind. Well done to Dimitri Bielak and Jim Fitzpatrick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

...As for the tiles, I think they look great.

Having seen the SUSD review, the tiles actually look fine... from a distance they look a bit of a mess but up close they look pretty good.

Back to the cover - I like it a lot but it probably looks better in real life. The card art is really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:

Yup, it's TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! so are the map tiles with the white borders. I thought they were prototype images only to find out that's how it really looks. Ugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but this is what Celtic art looks like, and Jim Fitzpatrick is regarded as one of the very best...at least in Ireland.

Please spare me of your condescending remarks. What Celtic art looks like is irrelevant. Jim Fitzpatrick is obviously a very talented artist, as it can be seen from his work linked by a previous poster, and I've known his name for more than 30 years. My point is that this weak effort looks nothing like his own work and shows nothing of his talent, for all the reasons listed in that same post.

Quote:
As for the tiles, I think they look great. It's all subjective in the end.

I don't think you understood my criticism. They could be masterpieces, but they don't form a map (with land viewed from above), and I think that a map would work much better for this type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to put in my 2 cents about something as subjective as taste in art but I am personally blown away by what I've seen. The cover or the cards, both look amazing to me. What I hope is that a few loudly vocal folks won't cause Matagot to change Inis's art direction (though if it is in production perhaps it is too late to change).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
codygarfield wrote:
Just to put in my 2 cents about something as subjective as taste in art but I am personally blown away by what I've seen. The cover or the cards, both look amazing to me. What I hope is that a few loudly vocal folks won't cause Matagot to change Inis's art direction (though if it is in production perhaps it is too late to change).

Don't worry, nothing will change, Matagot and I are very proud of the art direction. Better be stylish than consensual!

Gláucio: you are right, the tiles don't form a map, and it's on purpose. You will perceive the particularity of this approach while playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.