Subject: Player Count Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'm assuming every race will keep expanding the player count? What is the theoretical limit? Is it 5?

Also, with the expansions slated in another 4 months. It's kind of wild to release a game with a hard player limit like "3". It's neither here or there at exactly 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no theoretical limit, only a practical one;
you need enough place to put all the systems in play and with lots of players it will be a very long game, with some players possibly never reaching each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Silly question, probably answered in the rulebook. Each player must be playing a unique race. I.E. you can't have two Ferengi players buzzing about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
Silly question, probably answered in the rulebook. Each player must be playing a unique race. I.E. you can't have two Ferengi players buzzing about?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Dark63 wrote:
I'm assuming every race will keep expanding the player count? What is the theoretical limit? Is it 5?

Also, with the expansions slated in another 4 months. It's kind of wild to release a game with a hard player limit like "3". It's neither here or there at exactly 3.

There are 10 turn order cards in the box. I suspect that's what GF9 had in mind for the theoretical player limit. That game would likely take longer than most folks' workdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I'd actually play with more than 4 on a regular game evening. As I've said elsewhere, the eventual availability of more factions would probably be for me more of a chance to swop different ones in and out of a 3-4 Player. Especially if it seems one faction usually wins, although that hasn't happened yet in my play groups after six games.

However, the larger counts would be fun at special all day or convention events. Who wouldn't want to try it at least once? Still, I'd probably want to use some of the Accelerated Rules. Or bring something to read between turns!

Its rumored that the Ferengi use some kind of new Alliance system. Perhaps Allies could move at the same time, to shorten things a bit.

If Firefly is any general design model, GF9 will think about both the new playing conditions more expansions will create, as well as adding familiar type components into the mix. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with in the future.

By the way, in keeping with you thread title, I do think one's strategy will vary based on the number of players in any one game. Certainly the (illegal) Two Player experience changes up how you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the ferengi come with ally cards that give some benefit to who is holding them, some seem to be passed on from player to player, but i dont think they can have players move together with the ferengi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
To reiterate and add some:

The theoretical limit is infinite.
The practical level out of box it 10 (based on turn order cards)
I think the best amount will stay around 3-5.

When I get my second set and when more expansions come out, I plan to break the group up into 3-5 player groups. I'm really looking forward to the day when we have 3 expansion species and can have a full game without any of the base one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.