Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Ive been playing the base game wrong but the Vagabond power confuses me a bit.

[Using just Asteroids for example here]
I thought under normal circumstances that you had to move into an Asteroid and the roll again to Mine. So two chances to take damage before you get your first Cargo Cube.

The Vagabond reads like you roll upon moving into an Asteroid space and gain a Cube immediately with a successful roll...?

Wakrob
(Also not sure if closest Mine-able space for determining resource type gained is the text hex or the closest actual hex of Asteroids)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only hexes that you can Mine, Harvest, or Salvage, are the ones with the helper text.

This certainly means that there is one asteroid field, and one nebula, where you can't collect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, I think I had this wrong once before (Its been a long break between plays).

I thought the hexes with the text were referring to what you could do IN all the proper hexes on that sector. But in fact you have to Mine/Salvage/Harvest on the exact hex of the text?
(Which I still find odd because that makes Nebula's twice as dangerous to exploit)

If this is the case then the Vagabond could gain a cube from any dangerous hex it entered once per turn, making it better than I initial thought.

Wakrob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a common enough misunderstanding.

The rules state: "In order to do so, the player must be on a Mining, Salvage, or Harvest Space and have at least one free space in his Hold."

If you allow someone to mine in any asteroid field, then what do you do in the sector that doesn't even have a Mining Space? Sure we can look at it on another sector, but both Mining spaces give a different kind of cube. I think one is Terra, the other Spice, so which would you get?

This also makes it really hard to set a minimum distance between a place where you Gather and the place you sell it. For example you could Mine Terra on a hex at the edge of a sector, then fly 4 hexes to Azure and sell the cubes.

Now this may sound like it's not that big of a deal, but the variable nature of the game makes this kind of layout far more likely to happen. In the rare instance that you get Red Gulch next to Azure, it actually matters which direction they are set in. Even if they line up perfectly, it's like 7 movement to get to the Sell space. If they aren't, and the chances are pretty slim, then you have to go thru or around asteroid fields, and maybe the whole planet.

About the Vagabond, he does have a fairly interesting and useful ability. The current expansion build he can end up gets a random type of cube, which can make doing Cargo missions pretty lucrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek! Thanks for answering all these questions, you're a BEAST!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.