$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legends of Andor: Journey to the North» Forums » General

Subject: Why this in "Puzzle" category? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why this in "Puzzle" category?

I understand why base game in this category, because of 1 and 5 legends, but why this expansion is, and, Pandemic for example not?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's because of the timer in the game, that pushes you to progress through the game. It is not an open-ended adventure game, and I think that's why I would call it a puzzle game more than an adventure game.

I would compare it to Pandemic in many ways, the timer is one of those. Also, the spatial aspect of the puzzle (you go there, do that, while I go here and do this etc.)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played JttN, but I have played the original game. If this version uses the same "programmed" movement for the Monsters then Andor really is a puzzle game: because you can work out where everything will move for the whole game before you make your first move. So in many ways it's a game about solving the "puzzle" of where the enemy will be and where you need to be to disrupt that movement and complete your goals.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can predict movement to a degree, but not completely. Sometimes monsters are added to the board, changing the progression. Some events cause monsters to move out of turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I haven't played JttN, but I have played the original game. If this version uses the same "programmed" movement for the Monsters then Andor really is a puzzle game: because you can work out where everything will move for the whole game before you make your first move. So in many ways it's a game about solving the "puzzle" of where the enemy will be and where you need to be to disrupt that movement and complete your goals.


This is correct only for couple of base game legends, but not for the main ones - 3 and 5.

In this expansion you can not predict monsters movement either.

Why Pandemic not stated as puzzle, but this game is?

In Eldritch Horror I also can predict movement of the monsters, but this is not puzzle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
I haven't played JttN, but I have played the original game. If this version uses the same "programmed" movement for the Monsters then Andor really is a puzzle game: because you can work out where everything will move for the whole game before you make your first move. So in many ways it's a game about solving the "puzzle" of where the enemy will be and where you need to be to disrupt that movement and complete your goals.


This is correct only for couple of base game legends, but not for the main ones - 3 and 5.

In this expansion you can not predict monsters movement either.

Why Pandemic not stated as puzzle, but this game is?

In Eldritch Horror I also can predict movement of the monsters, but this is not puzzle
You're just trolling with that last one, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted a correction request to remove "puzzle". Most likely it was added by someone who tends to think co-ops are puzzle-like, and that Andor is more puzzley than most.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Uncivil wrote:
In Eldritch Horror I also can predict movement of the monsters, but this is not puzzle
You're just trolling with that last one, right?

Seems like a brilliant bit of satire to me.

For those not familiar with Eldritch Horror monsters:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
They never move!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The correction was approved. BGG no longer claims that JttN is a "puzzle".

EDIT: I passed along the .25 GG reward for making the suggestion to Uncivil, since they raised this issue by starting this thread.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
The correction was approved. BGG no longer claims that JttN is a "puzzle".

Thank you.

Congratulations, I suppose

I just do really believe, that some people who don't like the base game may appreciate this expansion. So those who read this: give it a try!

I will soon compose little tiny small review.
 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.