Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noise tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hey guys

If any of you could help me clarify this it would be totally awesome I have read the rulebook and searched the internet but cant find it anywhere. In DoW: The long night, there are new noise tokens, one of the sides has the ear as the noise tokens from DoW, but the other side has 3 exclamation marks, and I dont know what those 3 exclamation marks mean. If I am blind and simply missed it in the rules im sorry

thx in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dulled Reflexes
msg tools
mb
In the base game, you resolved noise tokens by rolling a die. In The Long Night, you flip the new noise tokens instead (like a coin). If it lands exclamation mark side up you add a zombie to that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
awesome mate, thx a bunch.. Is it just me who have missed this in the rules or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieske
Netherlands
Abcoude
flag msg tools
Page 12. Point 4meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
lol, I did miss it then.. I just went over it thinking it was the same as the regular DoW, as it wasnt in the "the long night" rules xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing those and thinking, "How come there was no mention about some new noise token function?" Then I read the rules, saw that you should flip them like a coin instead of rolling a die to determine if additional zombies show up.

Honestly, I don't care for this new idea at all. I'm not going to be flipping those tiny chits one at a time, and certain not going to be throwing possibly multiple chits at once in what is already a very component heavy game. Seems odd when rolling a die is so quick, simple and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do either, it's not required that you flip them. This was just streamlining a mechanic (happens entirely with the noise token, no reaching for dice) using available design space. Not sure who came up with it but its a great example of smart design. I'll attribute it to Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
Oh wow i missed that rule to thnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I was really impressed with the way the expansion came out until I got to this stupid rule. There was absolutely no reason to change it whatsoever. Not having to reach for dice is a poor excuse as each player generally has at least 3 in front of them barring any losses.

Any extra design space could of gone towards another couple of characters. We just played a 5 player game with the introductory Raxon scenario and there weren't enough characters to give each player 4 after removing Julia Han and Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weaselboy wrote:
Personally I was really impressed with the way the expansion came out until I got to this stupid rule. There was absolutely no reason to change it whatsoever. Not having to reach for dice is a poor excuse as each player generally has at least 3 in front of them barring any losses.

Any extra design space could of gone towards another couple of characters. We just played a 5 player game with the introductory Raxon scenario and there weren't enough characters to give each player 4 after removing Julia Han and Blue.

You do realize the term "design space" doesn't refer to the amount of time designing, but rather to additions to the game that fill gaps, right? They had a double sided token, they made the second side different for folks who'd rather flip tokens than roll dice. This choice had no relation to the development of characters. Also, it isn't a rule change but an option - a variant. You can still roll the dice.

As for having enough characters, both are still usable in that scenario. There's no need to remove them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Weaselboy wrote:

You do realize the term "design space" doesn't refer to the amount of time designing, but rather to additions to the game that fill gaps, right? They had a double sided token, they made the second side different for folks who'd rather flip tokens than roll dice. This choice had no relation to the development of characters. Also, it isn't a rule change but an option - a variant. You can still roll the dice.

As for having enough characters, both are still usable in that scenario. There's no need to remove them.

Read the scenario, they're both removed at the start so they're NOT available during the set up. Even if the term doesn't apply to the time spent, my comment that they should of had a couple of extra characters is still valid. There is no mention of rolling for noise tokens in the new rules which makes it a change. Personally I'll still be rolling rather than flipping the tokens. Never at any point did I say it was related to character development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Mari Kalkerup
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't change anything - there's a 50-50 chance no matter if you flip or roll, so I'd just consider it as an alternative and choose whatever I'd prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weaselboy wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Weaselboy wrote:

Read the scenario, they're both removed at the start so they're NOT available during the set up. Even if the term doesn't apply to the time spent, my comment that they should of had a couple of extra characters is still valid. There is no mention of rolling for noise tokens in the new rules which makes it a change. Personally I'll still be rolling rather than flipping the tokens. Never at any point did I say it was related to character development.

You correlated the flipping tokens rule to not having enough characters - that's relating one to the other. Neither had any effect on the other. There's existing threads complaining about not having enough characters, not sure why your complaint would be relevant to this thread so I corrected your misuse of design space. I recommend using the other threads to voice your grievances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
Philippines
flag msg tools
Just wanna ask, do you only flip 1 token then remove that specific token and leave the rest or you flip all the tokens in the Add Zombie phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thetelecaster23 wrote:
Just wanna ask, do you only flip 1 token then remove that specific token and leave the rest or you flip all the tokens in the Add Zombie phase?

You flip them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
Philippines
flag msg tools
randomlife wrote:
thetelecaster23 wrote:

You flip them all.

I see. We played it wrong lol. So we flip all one at a time. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thetelecaster23 wrote:
randomlife wrote:
thetelecaster23 wrote:

You flip them all.

I see. We played it wrong lol. So we flip all one at a time. Thanks!

Yes, the rounds are meant to represent about a week of real time. So it wouldn't make much sense that zombies would remember "that noisy place" over several weeks. So if you make a lot of noise, it may attract several more zombies during that week. But they won't remember any of it next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.