Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen this mentioned so far. In Update 19, Sandy said:

Quote:

help The Gods War reach $430,000 by the end of Saturday (US Central Time, here in Texas) and I will immediately add the 6-8 Player Map to Empires. I feel this stretch goal makes a lot of sense to work towards, because we are a community, and the 6-8 player map represents lots of people coming together for a common cause (namely, to play The Gods War).

This does not replace any stretch goals – it is an extra, an addition to the other Stretch Goals we're working towards right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes soo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
yes soo?

I think this is a very good thing - the 6-8 player map and the moon faction were the most important SGS for a lot of ppl including me. 2 of the key reasons for getting Empires expansion.

The map was MUCH further away originally, and i was seriously worried that we would not make it.
So by doing this Sandy has hopefully ensured these 2 SGS at least, good for us backers, and good for PG by getting the campaign moving again.

Sal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
yes soo?

Don't understand your point, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I also think that 6-8 player map and the Moon faction are the most important SG:s to reach. I won't drop my pledge if we don't reach them, but I will be sad. soblue

After we have 8 factions and the maps, everything else is just gravy.

Altough the Leviathan monster looks really great, so I kind of want that too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
The 6-8 player map is pretty sweet.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I'd actually prefer another three-to-five player map to come with Empires, even if it meant that the six-to-eight player map would be its own thing, in which case Empires could be sold independently at retail and playable straight out of the box. That said though, I don't think it's realistic though, since a new map would have to be designed from scratch in that case whereas the six-to-eight player map is already designed.

Of course, maybe once we reach what would have been the six-to-eight player stretch goal we can get another map added to Empires, maybe The Spike map that Sandy floated as an idea at one point....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Two starter boxes? Like Mercs Recon game has?

Not sure if that is feasible. PG would have to add things like rulebook, dice, map and whatever else to the box needs to make it stand-alone product. And take down the price tag to same level the first box has.

Sounds like that would lose lots of money for PG to go with this route. I'm not sure it would increase the sales for the second starter box to compensate for this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
ColHammer wrote:
Two starter boxes? Like Mercs Recon game has?

Not sure if that is feasible. PG would have to add things like rulebook, dice, map and whatever else to the box needs to make it stand-alone product. And take down the price tag to same level the first box has.

Sounds like that would lose lots of money for PG to go with this route. I'm not sure it would increase the sales for the second starter box to compensate for this...

I'm pretty sure Empires already has all that, except for a 3-to-5 player map, and the dice, which should be the easiest thing to supply.

Also Petersen Games already went that route with Theomachy, which I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilyFooFighter wrote:

I'm pretty sure Empires already has all that, except for a 3-to-5 player map, and the dice, which should be the easiest thing to supply.

Other than the faction and map specific stuff, the Core Game has:

Rulebook
Dice
4 Hints Cards
50 Runes
Victory track
First Player Marker

So all of that needs to be added to the Empire box, along with a new map (development and art time to create) and whatever markers are needed for the map to function. This has to push up the cost of the Empire box, which already costs more than the Core game to start with.

Whereas the 6-8 player map is ready to go, and some of us really, really want this given that more than 5 is a common size for us to play Cthulhu Wars...

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was one of the biggest things I saw people say, such as "I'm in for $1 right now, waiting to see if we hit the Moon faction and the 6-8 player map".

We're making good progress on the Moon faction, and the 6-8 player map will be a free bonus if we start getting more pledge activity. Things are already looking a lot better today than they have the past couple days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
therealbuserian wrote:
PhilyFooFighter wrote:

Other than the faction and map specific stuff, the Core Game has:

Rulebook
Dice
4 Hints Cards
50 Runes
Victory track
First Player Marker

So all of that needs to be added to the Empire box, along with a new map (development and art time to create) and whatever markers are needed for the map to function. This has to push up the cost of the Empire box, which already costs more than the Core game to start with.

According to the Petersens, it's the figures that are the biggest issue in terms of cost as opposed to the other components; apparently the reason Empires costs more is because it's going to have more figures. That being said, I agree that practically speaking adding another three-to-five player map to Empires may not be possible due the time needed to create a new map, as much as I might want it.

But maybe it would be worth it if it increased sales at retail. Empires is going to cost more regardless, so why not let people be able to play the game from the box if they only want the factions of Empires? I'm not fond of the idea of some factions being "expansion only" and others being "essential" anyway; if we're going to have sets of factions, and some people can't afford both, better to let people pick which set of four they prefer, ideally.

I suspect Empires already has a rulebook anyway, because otherwise the Empires factions would go unexplained and I suspect that they are not.

therealbuserian wrote:

Whereas the 6-8 player map is ready to go, and some of us really, really want this given that more than 5 is a common size for us to play Cthulhu Wars...

Cheers,
Graham

It's funny that that is your experience. I rarely get enough people to play a 6-to-8 player game, not to diss the 6-8 player map because that should totally be available to the people who want it, but to me it's less of an issue than variability and playing with the factions one wants to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has CW core set and in a fit of insanity, went in for the everything bundle in OS2, but hasn't had a lot of chance to actually play CW yet, I'm unfortunately "out", even though it looks like a great game.

My suspicion is that the audience here is largely a subset of the CW community who is either enthusiastic enough, or has enough mad money to be backing both. It would be interesting to see how many people actually back GW that don't already own CW and/or back OS2. Maybe these people all have signed on already.

Personally the only *possible* way that I would consider backing is if there was a CW compatibility add-on that gives rules and punchboard sheets for CW-balanced gameplay. I realize this is a monumental task.. and even then I probably am tapped out for time being. But it might prod me to purchase in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well having the 6-8 player map as an addon would have risen the total more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
Yeah, that was one of the biggest things I saw people say, such as "I'm in for $1 right now, waiting to see if we hit the Moon faction and the 6-8 player map".

I never understand that point of view - by not pledging, you are making it harder for the KS to get to the things you want. So holding off doesn't help. You could always reduce the pledge later on if needs be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
money pledged now is not deducted from your credit card.

Also, if you really want an extra 3-5 player map, you can just download the one from the PnP and you're good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 6-8 player map thing seems like a great move. Nice one, Sandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Steviewevie wrote:
The 6-8 player map thing seems like a great move. Nice one, Sandy.

In fact, i have very rarely more than 6 players at a table and frankly the 6-8 players of CW is so big that we rather play 6 players on the 5 players map of the core box. It just fits perfect. It's a bit more violent but that 's cthulhu wars and not Cthulhu Peace.

So advancing the 6-8 players map was probably the worst choice PG can actually do.. i would rather have prefered to have Sedenya so that we finally go the complete Moon faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Also, if you really want an extra 3-5 player map, you can just download the one from the PnP and you're good to go.

I was talking about possibilities at retail, where Empires could be played straight out of the box. Clearly the quality of components aren't as good in PnP, and from the point of view of someone with a budget who was just looking at unfamiliar games in a store, I don't think telling them to buy Empires and then print out a map on-line makes a lot of sense, at least not to me.

Note I was talking about someone who can't afford to buy both boxes, but prefers the Empires set of four factions: essentially a mid-level buyer. Ideally though the 3-5 player map in Empires shouldn't be exactly the same as the one in the other box; but I don't know what is or isn't possible.

If it can't be done it can't be done, but I just wanted to clarify what I was talking about.

bengougou75 wrote:
[q="Steviewevie"]
So advancing the 6-8 players map was probably the worst choice PG can actually do.. i would rather have prefered to have Sedenya so that we finally go the complete Moon faction.

Sandy just said that the placement of the stretch goals isn't otherwise affected, so we're still on the brink of unlocking the Moon faction, i.e. that hasn't been "pushed back". So I think it's a good move, and this is coming from someone who never plays games with six to eight players because I can rarely get a party bigger than 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilyFooFighter wrote:
Note I was talking about someone who can't afford to buy both boxes, but prefers the Empires set of four factions:

Agreed. CMON does this with their "standalone" sets, which are essentially expansions with additional components to make them separate games. I don't think additional dice is a problem, as some backers will want more dice to share when playing on a large board. If the standalone is released at a later date (eg. a separate KS), the rulebook can also be improved, be it errata, FAQ's, or more clearly written rules. The standalone can also have a, from a gameplay POV, different board, even if it's based on the same thematic area. BTW, While the obvious disadvantage of a separate KS for Empires is a delay of many months, not everyone who *wants* Empires can *pay* for it and Gods War base game in the same month. The advantages of a separate KS for a hypothetical standalone Empire game would be cash flow, as well as additional interest by backers who weren't aware of, or otherwise skipped, the Gods Ware base game KS.

tl;dr: Not everyone who's interested in Gods War is made of huge wads of cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
blakflag wrote:
My suspicion is that the audience here is largely a subset of the CW community who is either enthusiastic enough, or has enough mad money to be backing both. It would be interesting to see how many people actually back GW that don't already own CW and/or back OS2. Maybe these people all have signed on already.

I think you have nailed it.
Not sure how many ppl have room / money for 2 huge game with somewhat similar rulesets.

I'm thinking a regular sized game would have appealed to a larger crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't underestimate the size og the Gloranthan fanbase! Although some of those people are already onboard, there are an awful lot who aren't - yet.

As has been said, Sandy's bringing forward of the 6-8 player map hasn't pushed anything else back, it's just a bonus which may attract those who want those bigger games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone questioning if the 6-8 player board is high demanded or not as a reminder it came in 2nd to moon as the Stretch Goal most wanted in the polls here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1623553/most-anticipated-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakflag wrote:
As someone who has CW core set and in a fit of insanity, went in for the everything bundle in OS2,...

You and me both, brother.

I'm fortunate in that I'm able to go all in on Glorantha. I think that neither CW nor Glorantha may this way come again, especially when one considers Sandy and his crew is behind each of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fiatkid55 wrote:
blakflag wrote:
As someone who has CW core set and in a fit of insanity, went in for the everything bundle in OS2,...

You and me both, brother.

I'm fortunate in that I'm able to go all in on Glorantha. I think that neither CW nor Glorantha may this way come again, especially when one considers Sandy and his crew is behind each of them.

My view too. I will get it while I can. Even if it does get to retail (which I hope it does) it could be some time in doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.