Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Played my first solo game (case 2) last night and just want to check I'm doing something right.

During the Horror Step I had the following message (spoiler box just in case):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The objects Rita Young has collected become crushing weights, punishing her tired limbs. Rita Young Suffers 2 Damage ((Strength Symbol) negates). For each Damage she suffers, drop one random item.

I assume in this case (and others with similar wording) you do a strength skill check, and each success cancels one damage.

What confused me was that it doesn't say anywhere that you should do a skill check, then says that a certain skill negates the damage. From reading the rules it seems like you would do the check, but I just wanted to check (ahaha).

A second question concerns the following:

A spell leaps unbidden into your mind. This mythos event affects the investigator with the lowest (Will symbol)

If there is a tie for this (as there was in my game last night) do I choose which investigator it affects, or does it affect both?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
I assume in this case (and others with similar wording) you do a strength skill check, and each success cancels one damage.

Yes.

Quote:
A spell leaps unbidden into your mind. This mythos event affects the investigator with the lowest (Will symbol)

If there is a tie for this (as there was in my game last night) do I choose which investigator it affects, or does it affect both?

You'll choose one investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:

What confused me was that it doesn't say anywhere that you should do a skill check, then says that a certain skill negates the damage. From reading the rules it seems like you would do the check, but I just wanted to check (ahaha).

See "Skill Tests" on page 13 of the Learn to Play guide. When you see a skill icon in parentheses, it means skill test. Negating is discussed in the next section, "Negating Damage & Horror".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Huffman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm having a similar problem. I just got the game and after opening it, i started to play it. I was playing through the first scanario when I hit a snag. I opened the door to the right of the front door and in the kitchen was a flying snake type monster. The electronic app told me to do a horror check during the encounter... errr the attack from this monster. I looked through both rule booklets and it was giving general explanations of what a horror check was (no, "take this number then roll a die"... etc). In several cases it said the app would take the players through a horror check... but the app was waiting for me to click "continue" after I did a horror check. Maybe one of you guys can explain it better so I can understand. This seems like an essential part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you've determined the monster (whichever monster in range has the highest horror rating on its token), open the monster drawer (the tentacle icon in the bottom left) and select that monster. It will ask if you want to resolve a horror check; click confirm. Then it will walk you through what skill checks you need and the resulting effects.

Edit: If the app still has a text box displayed about the horror checks and a "Continue" button in the middle of the screen, just hit continue, then follow the steps I described above. When you are finished resolving horror checks, hit the End Phase button (the arrow in the bottom right corner).

Stinger8414 wrote:
I'm having a similar problem. I just got the game and after opening it, i started to play it. I was playing through the first scanario when I hit a snag. I opened the door to the right of the front door and in the kitchen was a flying snake type monster. The electronic app told me to do a horror check during the encounter... errr the attack from this monster. I looked through both rule booklets and it was giving general explanations of what a horror check was (no, "take this number then roll a die"... etc). In several cases it said the app would take the players through a horror check... but the app was waiting for me to click "continue" after I did a horror check. Maybe one of you guys can explain it better so I can understand. This seems like an essential part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Stinger8414 wrote:

One of the things I guess about this game is that the role of the app feels so close to an actual App game that it's easy to forget that the App doesn't actually enforce all the rules. It's simply a computerised DM, albeit a pretty and interactive one. But it can't give you feedback. You still have to know all the rules. It's almost disorientating, as it isn't what we are used to with Apps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.