Subject: Is DoW:TLN better for 2P pure co-op than the original? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have my eyes on DoW for a while, but I play boardgames mostly 2P with my girlfriend, and we're not interested in confrontational games.

I've read through most of the player opinions in the first game's BGG forum, and the main consensus was that it isn't worth to get the game for pure 2P co-op. Does change with this new game? Are the new mechanics making the game more enjoyable (and difficult) for pure co-op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
You have more reason to coop with the bandits and the super zombies but raxxon has some op items.
Me and my girlfriend play the prisonar variant here from the forum you should try that with you girl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
I have my eyes on DoW for a while, but I play boardgames mostly 2P with my girlfriend, and we're not interested in confrontational games.

I've read through most of the player opinions in the first game's BGG forum, and the main consensus was that it isn't worth to get the game for pure 2P co-op. Does change with this new game? Are the new mechanics making the game more enjoyable (and difficult) for pure co-op?

Honestly, if you don't like confrontational games, it is my opinion you should go for something else. Maybe Mice & Mystics if you want to support Plaidhat. If you take out the betrayal element of the game, it loses a lot of tension and flavor. Yes, it's still playable, but I would recommend other games over it at that point (perhaps the new Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition or Eldritch Horror by Fantasy Flight? Both are very good coop games).

TLN is probably slightly better than the base game for coop, but I still wouldn't rec it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Honestly, if you don't like confrontational games, it is my opinion you should go for something else. Maybe Mice & Mystics if you want to support Plaidhat. If you take out the betrayal element of the game, it loses a lot of tension and flavor. Yes, it's still playable, but I would recommend other games over it at that point (perhaps the new Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition or Eldritch Horror by Fantasy Flight? Both are very good coop games).

TLN is probably slightly better than the base game for coop, but I still wouldn't rec it.

I have Eldritch Horror (loving it), but I'll skip Mansions of Madness 2nd edition because of it's hybrid nature. I downloaded the app to see how it works, and it proves to be too much app usage for my taste there.

I'm interested in DoW because of the crossroads system and zombie theme (I don't yet have a zombie game in my collection), but maybe I'll skip this completely then, if the tension relies that much on the traitor aspect. Thanks a lot for your opinion on the matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
soakman wrote:

I have Eldritch Horror (loving it), but I'll skip Mansions of Madness 2nd edition because of it's hybrid nature. I downloaded the app to see how it works, and it proves to be too much app usage for my taste there.

I'm interested in DoW because of the crossroads system and zombie theme (I don't yet have a zombie game in my collection), but maybe I'll skip this completely then, if the tension relies that much on the traitor aspect. Thanks a lot for your opinion on the matter!

I'm not overly familiar with zombie themed boardgames, but I think there are other coops out there you might want to look into. I love the crossroads system, but much of the replay value of the game revolves around the suspicion found in other people's actions. Without that suspicion, I could see it becoming very repetitive.

I really do love the game, but the coop mode is pretty sub-par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
soakman wrote:

I have both versions of DOW and my wife likes playing it and we only play co-op. I would love the chance to have more players and try out the traitor aspect of the games but have not had the opportunity yet. We play the games regularly and really enjoy them, the Long Night does add some difficulty with the Raxxon and Bandits modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
msg tools
Skuijs wrote:
You have more reason to coop with the bandits and the super zombies but raxxon has some op items.
Me and my girlfriend play the prisonar variant here from the forum you should try that with you girl.

Where can I find the prisoner variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skuijs wrote:

I'm pretty positive that none of us would betray the other in the game, since neither of us is competitive enough to care for winning the game alone.

JoeThompson1987 wrote:
Where can I find the prisoner variant?

It'a started here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1221946/help-test-some-2-pl...

This is the official file:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fYAkm-SE_9BV3cXI19h4h2Yx...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Deomidov
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played DoW yet, but for full co-op I can strongly recommend Robinson Crusoe. It has a bunch of scenarios and a system of events close enough to crossroads from DoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.