Subject: References for a Game Mechanic. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt P.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello all,
I'm relatively new to board games, and don't have a wide base of knowledge in the area. I have also been fiddling with a game idea that uses interactive board changing.

For instance, there is a berry bush on the board. It is actually a dial covering images of berries on the board itself (windowed "turn to reveal" dial) It starts with no berries shown. One turn will reveal a few berries, one more reveals a lot of berries, and one more returns it to no berries showing. This action dictates the amount of food avail. from the bush.

Not exactly a mechanic, but a mechanism of the overall mechanic. I was wondering if you all are familiar with any games that use something similar I can reference? Sorry it's long, thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there must be a game that does that. I can't think of anything identical but one game that has something similar.

The Rivals for Catan has something similar but doesn't use a dial. It has cards you rotate to show how much of a resource you have available. THe 6 cards with the dice icon in the middle and 0-3 resource icons on each side do this, the icon at the bottom shows how much you have so 5 of them have one resource and the top middle one has no resources:

If you roll the number in the middle you rotate to add a resource, if you use a resource you rotate to indicate that.

Obviously this might not work so well on a common board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a dial would be the new idea (and more expensive!), but I sort of like it. There are games where you pick up finite resources, and in some cases trade for them, but they tend to be cubes (nearly any German game) or food shapes (rarer).

Resources can be finite (set at start and never growing), but some games have a growth mechanic (Catan, for instance) and some balancing mechanics to ensure people spend them.

You can start by looking at any game named after a city, really. Yes, that includes Lords of Waterdeep

P.S.: I think the mechanic could get extra interesting if you have to harvest in time before food spoils too. Make it a balancing act between getting the most resources or getting them before other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'll add some context to flesh out the idea since yall are going to be so helpful. To put it simply, the game features bears stocking up food stores for winter. The berries are one food source.

There is (at this point) a limited number of turns till it's time to hibernate. There is a dial representing the seasons with an equal number of turns (wedges on the dial) per season. Some of these wedges I.E. late spring through mid summer will be marked with an event. In this case it's berries starting to grow (late spring), reaching maturity (early summer), and then dying off (mid summer).

Each stage represents the amount of food that can be had from that resource tile at the moment. I imagine event cards as well I.E. something possibly about birds eating the fresh berries, incurring a negative change in the dial for the berry bush.

EDIT: This game is very much just an idea still. I've fleshed it out in my notepad, but nothing beyond that. Not sure how my ideas would affect gameplay, so im trying to iron it out before getting to much deeper in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I love the theme of the game and the flavor of the "berry wheel" you've come up with. I don't have nearly the extensive boardgame knowledge as many on this forum do, but I have not personally seen a game with that mechanism in regards to resources.

When you design the board, consider that you'll need a way to either prop/wedge the play area of the board up slightly to keep friction on the berry layer beneath to a minimum so that the dial remains easy to turn (if you intend to play ON the board). The weight of your game pieces may also factor into this. Support (little plastic feet or rubber pads) under all 4 corners of the board plus the dial's base in the center would probably be sufficient.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My thought was to have the "resource tiles" accessed from a side tile. As a side effect that would keep the player pieces off the the actual dial. I figured a cardboard playing board, with the berries/"foliage" printed directly on the board. There would be a hole punched for a peg, and the dial that looks like the bush would peg in over the berries. I was hoping for some similar idea in another game to see if I liked the implementation and to see if it would fit my game idea. I guess it's cool the idea isn't heavily used, then again there might be a very good reason for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeordieY wrote:
I love the theme of the game

Same.

I've had an alternative thought about how you might be able to implement the berries thing. If you had a square tile with the berries on like this:

BB

B = berries, . = tile with no berries on

Then you had a card which was half the size of the tile (XX) you could place it over so you had 0,1,2 berries visible:

XX

XB
X.

BB
XX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ListerCrvt327 wrote:
I guess it's cool the idea isn't heavily used, then again there might be a very good reason for that.

Perhaps - cost would almost certainly be a consideration in a published game. However if you have a good idea (and it sounds like you do) then go with it, make the game good and perhaps consider alternative physical implementations of the idea later if your first idea is less practical than you hoped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've seen a lot of standard production games sell for 30 bucks with fancier stuff, though they ARE companies that are BIG so that's not really a fair comparison.

At the end of the day I just want to design a game that someone I play with might enjoy. Production costs aren't a big deal. I want something innovative (well, innovative for an industry that has been active for near a century) and fun.

If one day it goes to market then great, but I'm in it for the fun. I just figured I could pull from a Success to help guide me. Nothing wrong with learning wisdom from the wise so long as you don't pretend it was your wisdom in the first place.

EDIT: Crazy stalker wording noted and changed to normal person wording XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
ListerCrvt327 wrote:
Hello all,
I'm relatively new to board games, and don't have a wide base of knowledge in the area. I have also been fiddling with a game idea that uses interactive board changing.

For instance, there is a berry bush on the board. It is actually a dial covering images of berries on the board itself (windowed "turn to reveal" dial) It starts with no berries shown. One turn will reveal a few berries, one more reveals a lot of berries, and one more returns it to no berries showing. This action dictates the amount of food avail. from the bush.

Not exactly a mechanic, but a mechanism of the overall mechanic. I was wondering if you all are familiar with any games that use something similar I can reference? Sorry it's long, thanks for reading.

so how many dials would you be looking at? I assume its not just one bush?
Is there a reason for a board? Can you make each dial essentially a stand alone segment so you can place them randomly in any way you want for replay value? I dont see why it has to be a one piece board, and would rather play it as segmented game (like hexagon segments in other games). That could potentially drive the cost a little bit down. I would imagine as a manufacturer it would be a lot easier for me to make you 20 individual bushes with dials rather than one piece board with a bunch of dials on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Post office in Istanbul does something like this. There are two rows of four boxes. At the start, the boxes in the top row are all covered with cubes. Each time a player visits the location and takes the benefit (everything that's shown), a cube is slid down to the next row, revealing something more valuable on top (e.g. 1 coin becomes 2 coins). After the fifth visit, when someone gets the maximum benefit, the cubes are all reset to the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ListerCrvt327 wrote:
At the end of the day I just want to design a game that someone I play with might enjoy. [snip] I'm in it for the fun.

A good plan. Good luck with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.