Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe it has been already asked before but I just could not find it - how did Alan Stone's name disappear from the box? The cover art image (currently the most thumbed image in the gallery) says it was designed by Jamey Stegmaier and Alan Stone, but the latest image showing the box says Jamey Stegmaier only. What happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
maybe it has been already asked before but I just could not find it - how did Alan Stone's name disappear from the box? The cover art image (currently the most thumbed image in the gallery) says it was designed by Jamey Stegmaier and Alan Stone, but the latest image showing the box says Jamey Stegmaier only. What happened?

I'd guess that Alan's name was there mostly out of habit . Scythe is, AFAIK, solely Jamey's design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always believed that Alan Stone didn't exist -- that he was just a shell name used to further Jamey's nefarious plans to overtake the world.
And now I have my proof.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan is the person who playtests games with me until they're ready to play with other people. But we realized a long time ago that Alan isn't actually a designer of any of our games. I design them, and I playtest them with Alan (among many other people). It was during Scythe's design that we decided to implement the change--the credit Alan gets is built into our company name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
I always believed that Alan Stone didn't exist -- that he was just a shell name used to further Jamey's nefarious plans to overtake the world.
And now I have my proof.
ninja

Alan actually does exist .

He's the guy on the right in this photo of us at GenCon.

EDIT: Replaced photo with a higher res one.

EDIT 2: Fixed typo in the EDIT note above .

EDIT 3: Fixed my misspelling of Alan's name. Sigh .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Alan is the person who playtests games with me until they're ready to play with other people. But we realized a long time ago that Alan isn't actually a designer of any of our games. I design them, and I playtest them with Alan (among many other people). It was during Scythe's design that we decided to implement the change--the credit Alan gets is built into our company name.

That's only because "Stegstone Games" sounds funny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

That's only because "Stegstone Games" sounds funny...

I suggest changing the name to Pedersen Games, or Monsen Games if we're still going with contractions of two names .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

It is an interesting point. By providing feedback, contributing ideas, and generally improving the game through playtest, he is in a way a designer of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

It is an interesting point. By providing feedback, contributing ideas, and generally improving the game through playtest, he is in a way a designer of the game.

Developer maybe, but not designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
DJ Kuul A wrote:
asobu wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Developer maybe, but not designer.

That still describes a playtester. A playtester test designs and offers ideas but does not get the call on what is done with those ideas. The playtester's contribution may be a major one and may influence the final design greatly but the game design decisions (and therefore design credit) are not made by the playtester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

i think developer is probably the better term for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can kind of see that, though a developer to me is someone who doesn't just playtest with me (if they even do that at all) and give me advice, but also takes the game and plays it with others. A developer can delve pretty deep into the game--they're more than just a sounding board.

Like, I think of JR Honeycutt, the developer of Seafall. Rob Daviau hired JR to take the game away from him for a while to play, test, hone, and give advice and feedback on an ongoing basis. While a playtester usually just tells a designer what happened in a game and how it made them feel, a developer will take that knowledge and test/suggest various solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.