Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How many people are finding in 5 player games the game ends with one player placing triple or more stars to end the game? (Move win combat, move win combat, last bottom action connected with move and/or secret objective)

Only have a handful of games and so far I've done this once. Also finding I don't care for the game with less than 4 players due to too much open space rather play Terra Mystica at that point.

I like the game but attacking with a 5 card in hand at equal plastic count with = power or more is an auto win, I usually base my strategy around this every game. I find the bottom action below move is your most important one, since you can steal the resources for it and spend them before they are re-stolen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 out of 4 five player games I was involved in, have ended this way. 3 Stars in one turn seems to be a regular occurrence in higher play counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be easier to achieve 3 stars through one combat + one objective + bottom action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's probably the game's method to counter the downtime in larger player counts? More players = more chances for simultaneous combat, therefore higher chance of double wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played 5 player twice and this hasn't happened yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:

I like the game but attacking with a 5 card in hand at equal plastic count with = power or more is an auto win, I usually base my strategy around this every game. I find the bottom action below move is your most important one, since you can steal the resources for it and spend them before they are re-stolen.

Unless your oponent has Scout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for one faction, a player can only get two combat stars total in a game. So this strategy involves abstaining from (winning) combat until the last turn? Just for the surprise value, or because it is easy to get where you need to be (at 3 stars, ahead in necessary categories) without winning a prior combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
it best to wait to the end to attack as you will build up power, then won't care if you're weak as the game ends, only attempt and even fight against orange if you have two 5's in hand, other wise attach them 2-1 and another player 1-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
randiv wrote:
Except for one faction, a player can only get two combat stars total in a game. So this strategy involves abstaining from (winning) combat until the last turn? Just for the surprise value, or because it is easy to get where you need to be (at 3 stars, ahead in necessary categories) without winning a prior combat?

I'll opportunistically attack mid-game for my first combat star, but I don't like getting both combat stars before the end of the game (except as Saxony, I suppose). I had it happen once and for the remainder of the game it felt like I was a free attack target, because attacking me was all upside and no downside (can't give me a star even if they lose). Those first two combats probably also sapped your power, making you an even more attractive target for the rest of the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike K
msg tools
randiv wrote:

In my first game, I lost my first two combats (that I initiated).

Winning two combats against someone with low Power vs my 18 Power and completing my Objective card ended the game later on. Mech, Upgrade and Workers were my other 3 Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
Crikrunner wrote:
I like the game but attacking with a 5 card in hand at equal plastic count with = power or more is an auto win, I usually base my strategy around this every game.

Four of the five factions have powers that mean this isnt true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthred wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:
I like the game but attacking with a 5 card in hand at equal plastic count with = power or more is an auto win, I usually base my strategy around this every game.

Four of the five factions have powers that mean this isnt true.

Yeah, there are abilities that alter power, allow for an extra card with worker there, as well as taking a card from the opponent (maybe even that 5 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.