GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,383 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Nations: The Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Highest solo score strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a break down of how I approach each aspect of the solo game.

Books

Books offer at most 2 points per round. Their value relative to famine and war diminish with each round so I consequently care about it less as the rounds go on. A lot depends on how quickly the bot accumulates books, sometimes it hardly gets any and other times it rockets ahead with loads. I generally avoid getting into an arms race with books, would rather divert my efforts elsewhere.

Grain/Swords

As previously mentioned, their value increases each round (starting on 1 point each). I will quite happily sacrifice a sword for conquering a territory that gives me a chit in the first round because that 1 point is likely to be outweighed by the benefit from a chit over 4 rounds. By the end, avoiding famine and waging war are hugely important. Worth a combined 8 points, that's a much as the best wonder will yield in round 4.

Territories

Worth 0 to 1 points and give you 0 to 1 chits, their worth remains fairly low throughout the game in my opinion. Generally I will snap them up when I have superfluous swords (either because I have exceeded what I will need for war or because I know I can't get enough). Even then I might judge it to be more lucrative to trade them for grain if I think I'll need them to avoid famine.

Dice giving buildings

Throughout the rounds, you definitely want to be building up your pool of dice, and getting some of those valuable coloured dice. I'm not too bothered in the first round as the most you can do is exchange 1 white die for 1 coloured die but will snap them up if there's nothing better to do (or if I think it will help me achieve something else I'm trying to do).

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds it becomes crucial to start getting those dice because as the rounds go on, and especially in the last, you will be severely constrained about what you can do.

And of course it's so important to try and ensure that you only give away already spent dice when buying dice giving buildings!

Leaders

I tend to prioritise these quite low, maybe snapping them up with there's little else I can do. Obviously getting one of the 2 point leaders in the last round us usually something you want to do. I actually really like those leaders that come up in round 3, that give you two re-rolls + 1 point.

Wonders

If one thing has changed over the time I've been playing this game it is my value I place on wonders. I like to start getting them flowing from round 1. They always give you points and often a chit as well. The trouble is they take two actions to complete but once you've snagged a wonder, you just leave it there to complete at the end of the round (unless you think you have a chance at building 2 wonders in a single round).

Come the final round, you want to snag the most lucrative wonder you can. But do you buy the best one you already have enough stone for or do you get a better one and hope you can re-roll or trade dice in order to get the stone you need?

General Thoughts

In order to hit that magic 40, I think you need to be getting around 20 points in rounds 1-3 and another 20 in the last round. To break that down:

Rounds 1-3
Books: 2-4 points
Famine: 5 points
War: 5 points
Wonders/Territories/Leaders: 6-8 points

Round 4
Wonders: 8 points
Famine: 4 points
War: 4 points
Territories/buildings/leaders: 4 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
To be honest, I think my average is probably in the low 30's although I haven't been recording my results so that's only an estimate. I've once achieved 43 and only scored over 40 three times.

Luck is definitely a significant factor in this game. Although having played a quite few 2 and 3 player games as well, I would say that luck seems to play less of a part in those games than it does in solitaire. As a more experienced player than my opponents, I was able to consistently beat them game after game and it took them some time to be able to win a game.
Quote:
I enjoy the randomness of dice - I love Pandemic the Cure and Dungeon Roll - but I get the feeling that where those games have 2 random elements (disease dice plus your action dice or enemy dice and your party dice) Nations adds a third random element - the opponent - and this might just make the random factor too high...

Indeed, that's just it. That's the luck element that's not present in the multi-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Eppler
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
Solo mode depents highly on luck

- distribution of tiles in play
- opponent rolling for taking tiles
- opponent rolling for books

Though you would play somewhat different than in normal mode, knowing that the opponent only can take tiles lowest in columns.

Average of low 30's is quite normal and good. The best players on boiteajeux have 33-34 on average score.

My best solo scores are 42,41 and 2-times 40. I guess 1 out of 4 games I reach 36+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.