Hide
4 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Easily killing AO is (Solo play) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rb lf
msg tools
(My English isn't perfect and I probably have mistakes, sorry)
Hello, so recently I've discovered a new "strategy" for solo play in arkham horror, which thematically seems wrong to me, and actually makes the game too easy (for some ancient ones vs investigator combinations).
The strategy is to almost just ignore gates and monsters, while just powering yourself up.
For example a possible scenario can be Michael McGlen vs Ithaqua. So let assume Ithaqua destroys McGlen's tommy gun, and McGlen fights bare handed, Also it is reasonable to assume that McGlen got an ally or a skill that let him +1 to fight. A total of Fight 7.
So he rolls 4 dice each attack (Ithaqua's -3). He should on average kill him in 11 turns, but let assume it takes him 13 (2 more turns). So he starts by rolling 8 dice to defend Ithaqua's attack, then 7, and until he rolls 4 dice it is reasonable to say he can succeed. So he had 4 turns without suffering damage. Now each turn he loses 1 stamina, which gives him 7 more turns, a total of 11, so on average he should just win. But, if we say each turn he rolls 4 dice that is the same as to say that each 4 clue tokens are extra attack, so all he needs now is 8 clue tokens, which seems a lot, but if you converse you can reach even more.
Also this is an unlucky scenario for McGlen as he probably would have more weapons, so at least one of them won't be destroyed, and in my analysis I assumed he has bad rolls. And usually he can get to the fight blessed.

I know that McGlen is a strong fighter and Ithaqua is one of the weaker ao in the game (at combat), but this strategy actually works for other aos and investigators as well. The weirdest thing that I have achieved with this strategy was Joe Diamond vs Cthulhu, and Diamond has a "+1 Fight" skill, which gave him a total of 3 dice per clue, so I saved up about 13 clues and had a total of ~39 dice (and Diamond was blessed). So on average there are ~18 success, and I needed only 13. And that's how a single investigator killed the Great Ancient Cthulhu bare handed.

I just might play something wrong and that's why this strategy works...

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, allowing the AO to wake up and then defeat it in combat is the way to win when playing with low Investigator counts (because the AO has fewer "hit points"), whereas for higher Investigator counts it's usually better to go for 6 Seals (though it can be a little dependent on the AO). Some players dislike the final combat win condition enough to eliminate it from their games. However, some AOs were definitely designed to be fought.

You might find that the Epic Final Battle option introduced in Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion will help make waking the AO less attractive as an option. Having said that, single Investigator solo is a darned hard way to play the game: three or four Investigators run by the solo player is more common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing you can do is only allow the investigators to keep a number of clues for the final battle equal to the number of seals on the board. This is a house rule some use to prevent gearing up and going directly to the final battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
I am pretty sure, i see a game designer's house rule here - If the number of investigators in game lower than 4, the AO needs 4 successes for remove 1 Doom token regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.