$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
71 
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: MoM 2nd Edition Rules FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: There is now an official FAQ from FFG. It doesn't cover everything listed here, but does hit some of the major questions, so definitely check this out first before reading this thread.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/a1...

---------------------------------------------------
Just thought I would try compiling a list of answers to the more common questions I see asked to possibly help some people save time...also I'm bored.

1) INVESTIGATOR MOVEMENT
- Investigators may move UP TO TWO spaces for a single move action (unless an effect says otherwise)

- Investigators may INTERRUPT their move action in order to perform a different action. Example: You may move one space, search a point of interest, then move another space.

- SOLID white or yellow borders are passable (you may move through them). DASHED white or yellow borders are NOT passable (you may NOT move through them unless an effect says otherwise, for example, winged monsters can move freely over impassable borders as they are "flying").


2) ADJACENCY
- Spaces separated by WALLS and DOORS are considered adjacent.

- Monsters and investigators CAN NOT move or attack through WALLS (unless an effect specifically allows them to, for example Ghosts and Hounds of Tindalos have a phasing ability which allows them to move through walls).

- Investigators CAN NOT attack through DOORS (unless an effect specifically allows them to)

- FIRE can spread through DOORS, but NOT WALLS (unless an effect specifically allows it to).

- LIGHT SOURCES negate DARKNESS through DOORS, but not WALLS


3) MONSTER MOVEMENT & SPAWNS
- If the app instructions say "Monster moves up to X spaces toward the nearest investigator" and the monster reaches the investigator in fewer than X moves (or is ALREADY in the same space as the investigator) then the monster stops moving/ doesn't move at all.

- If the app instructions say "Monster moves toward an investigator WITHIN RANGE", and there are no investigators in range, then the monster DOES NOT MOVE. (An investigator on the other side of a door is NOT considered within range, because range is not calculated through doors).

- If the app instructions say the Monster moves toward or attacks the investigator with the Most/Least of anything, and there is a tie between multiple investigators, THE PLAYERS DECIDE WHO GETS TARGETED.

- If the app instructions say a Monster moves to be in range of an investigator OR adjacent to an investigator for the purpose of attacking, and there are no investigators close enough for the monster to be within range OR adjacent, then the monster DOES NOT MOVE. After selecting the option "No investigators in range/adjacent" in the app, the monster will normally be given additional move instructions.

- If a monster SPAWNS in a room from an entrance that is barricaded, the barricade is IGNORED (it does not get destroyed, but does not block the SPAWN either).


4) RANGE
- WITHIN RANGE always means WITHIN 3 SPACES (or up to 3 spaces away)

- Your current space is considered 0 spaces away

- RANGE DOES NOT count through DOORS

- RANGE DOES NOT count through SECRET PASSAGES

- However RANGE DOES count around CORNERS


5) DAMAGE/HORROR
- IN GENERAL damage and horror is always taken FACE UP and the cards are read and resolved IMMEDIATELY.

- You only draw cards face down if specifically told to draw face down damage/horror.

- If instructed to FLIP Damage/Horror FACE UP, you must CHOOSE RANDOMLY.

- If instructed to FLIP Damage/Horror FACE DOWN, you MAY CHOOSE which to flip.


6) SKILL TESTS (INCLUDING EVASION AND HORROR CHECKS)
- If the app gives you a skill to check with no number, you simply perform the test and tell the app how many successes you had.

- If the app gives you a skill check, with a number separated by a semi-colon, that number tells you how many successes you need in order to PASS.

- If the app gives you a skill check with a +X or -Y after it, it means you add or remove that number of dice to/from your roll.

- If the app tells you to take X damage/horror, and a skill check NEGATES, each success you roll subtracts 1 from X. If you roll X successes, then you take NO DAMAGE/HORROR.

EVASION:
- If you do any action EXCEPT ATTACK while a monster is in your space, you MUST do an EVASION check against the monster with the HIGHEST AWARENESS RATING (number in the upper right corner of the monster tile).

HORROR:
- All investigators must do a horror check if there is a monster WITHIN RANGE (not counting through walls or doors)

- If there are multiple monsters within range, you must do a horror check against the monster with the HIGHEST HORROR rating (lower right number on the monster tile)

- If there are multiple INVESTIGATORS in range of the SAME MONSTER, then you trigger the horror check through the APP for that monster ONCE, but then EACH INVESTIGATOR must perform their own horror check.


7) FIRE
- When fire spreads, it is spread to ONE (and ONLY ONE) space that is adjacent to a space that is currently on fire, regardless of how many separate fires there may be.

- Fire can spread through doors, but not walls (unless an effect specifically allows it to)

- Fire ignores barricades

- You may use an action to perform an agility test to try to extinguish fire. For EACH SUCCESS, you may extinguish ONE FIRE in your CURRENT SPACE or ANY SPACE YOU MOVE TO DURING THE SAME TURN. So this means if you roll 3 successes, you can extinguish a fire in your current space, as well as both spaces you move to afterward (assuming you use a move action as your 2nd action).


8) ITEMS & SPELLS
- COMMON ITEMS, UNIQUE ITEMS, and SPELLS can all be TRADED/DROPPED voluntarily (as they are ALL POSSESSIONS).

- If instructed to DROP an ITEM, this effects COMMON ITEMS or UNIQUE ITEMS but NOT SPELLS.

- If you can only carry X number of items, SPELLS are NOT COUNTED as part of this limitation


9) BARRICADES
- If a monster attempts to break through a barricade AND FAILS, then it's movement is forfeited (the monster cannot continue moving for that particular action).

- Barricades ONLY BLOCK MONSTER MOVEMENT, it does NOT prevent a monster from SPAWNING from a particular entrance.

- Barricades DO NOT block NPC movement.



For additional information
All of the rules listed here are paraphrased from the Rules Reference Guide (included with the game) https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a6/c1...


Also, check out the fan-made Mansions 2 wiki created by Anthony Ronda for additional information.
http://madness2.online

If there are any mistakes, let me know and I'll fix them, and if there are any additions that I may have missed, feel free to suggest them.


  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we get this made into a Sticky for the Forums? These questions get asked a lot.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything in the rules that prevents a monster from attacking adjacent through a door actually. The only reference to attack is the attack action (which only is for investigators) and that specifically says you can attack a monster in the same space or a space within range, which of course makes it impossible to attack through a door.

But regarding the monsters there is no such restriction that I can find. I've looked under monster, monster step, adjacent and doors.
That is if the attack specifically mentions "the monster attacks an adjacent space" though. If it tells you to attack something "within range" then the door would stop it from attacking anything on the other side of the door.

Am I missing something?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll update that. I assumed monsters followed the same rule for doors as people, but putting it that way, it makes sense as there is differentiation between attacking within range, and attacking adjacent
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
- FIRE can spread through DOORS, but NOT WALLS (unless an effect specifically allows it to).

I've see this claim in several places, but I have not understood what it is based on.

The rules reference says:

Under Fire:
"If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire."

Under Adjacent:
"Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall."

My emphasis.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jophan wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:
- FIRE can spread through DOORS, but NOT WALLS (unless an effect specifically allows it to).

I've see this claim in several places, but I have not understood what it is based on.

The rules reference says:

Under Fire:
"If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire."

Under Adjacent:
"Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall."

My emphasis.


Under WALLS it says
"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through
walls unless an effect specifically allows it."


There really needs to be some more redundancy in these rule books since relevant rules are all over the place.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
jophan wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:
- FIRE can spread through DOORS, but NOT WALLS (unless an effect specifically allows it to).

I've see this claim in several places, but I have not understood what it is based on.

The rules reference says:

Under Fire:
"If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire."

Under Adjacent:
"Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall."

My emphasis.


Under WALLS it says
"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through
walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

Thanks, I had completely missed that. There's nothing under Fire that indicates that you should wish to look up Walls, only Adjacent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jophan wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:
jophan wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:
- FIRE can spread through DOORS, but NOT WALLS (unless an effect specifically allows it to).

I've see this claim in several places, but I have not understood what it is based on.

The rules reference says:

Under Fire:
"If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire."

Under Adjacent:
"Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall."

My emphasis.


Under WALLS it says
"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through
walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

Thanks, I had completely missed that. There's nothing under Fire that indicates that you should wish to look up Walls, only Adjacent.


Yeah, the rules reference is a mess! They should have grouped similar things together under bigger sections.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the glossary style that they have, but I think they should have put in a bit more redundancy, meaning repeat information in different sections wherever it would be relevant to the particular topic. It would make the manual a bit larger, but would work better as a "reference" that way. Look up the one thing you have a question on, and have all relevant information around that one thing.

As it is now, you kinda have to read the entire manual to get all of the information, which defeats the purpose of having a reference manual. It is still an improvement over the older instruction manuals, but still needs some work I think.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've thought this RRG is pretty well set up with the main flaw I've found so far (and it's a BIG flaw) being the issue with Adjacency and Walls.

What other similar issues have people seen?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
I understand the glossary style that they have, but I think they should have put in a bit more redundancy, meaning repeat information in different sections wherever it would be relevant to the particular topic. It would make the manual a bit larger, but would work better as a "reference" that way. Look up the one thing you have a question on, and have all relevant information around that one thing.

As it is now, you kinda have to read the entire manual to get all of the information, which defeats the purpose of having a reference manual. It is still an improvement over the older instruction manuals, but still needs some work I think.


True, as it is now it's, as you say, pretty much not a reference guide, just a chopped up rule book.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Inmat4251 wrote:
I understand the glossary style that they have, but I think they should have put in a bit more redundancy, meaning repeat information in different sections wherever it would be relevant to the particular topic. It would make the manual a bit larger, but would work better as a "reference" that way. Look up the one thing you have a question on, and have all relevant information around that one thing.

As it is now, you kinda have to read the entire manual to get all of the information, which defeats the purpose of having a reference manual. It is still an improvement over the older instruction manuals, but still needs some work I think.


I like it actually, it's nice and compact, you just have to read the thing prior to gaming, so then at least when something comes up you know it's in there somewhere.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They generally do go for completeness with relevant notes in many sections. They simply dropped the ball on the Fire/Walls issue. People jump on it as it is really easy to attack, but it is probably the only significant omission.

It will likely be fixed in future printings of the game too. I expect the online manual to get updated when the first FAQ comes out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Earle
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,
Thank you for your mini FAQ. It helps to clear up some of the/my confusion regarding these rules/definitions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralpion wrote:
Chris,
Thank you for your mini FAQ. It helps to clear up some of the/my confusion regarding these rules/definitions.


You are quite welcome I've been seeing a lot of the same types of questions being asked, many of which I had myself at one point or other, so figured I would put them all in one place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Duke allow you to trade through doors, and does it actually take an action? The wording on the card implies it takes an action to do it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duke allows you to trade in any space "within range" so it does NOT work through doors.
Also it says "at the beginning of your turn" you may trade, so I always interpreted that as a free action before you take your two turn actions (which makes sense thematically. Duke is doing the action, not Ashcan Pete)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't have the word "Action" in bold prior to explaining how it works then it isn't an action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is nice, simple and to the point.

I would like a barricade clarification. If the monster fails to break the barricade, you press the option for no investigator in range, it then proceeds to move again, so then it gets another roll at the barricade?

I believe the answer previously was yes, but maybe I am wrong, if so, forgive me
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So can monsters attack through doors? I know investigators can't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Please forgive the stupid question.
Re;

3) RANGE
- WITHIN RANGE always means WITHIN 3 SPACES (or up to 3 spaces away)

- Your current space is considered 0 spaces away

- RANGE DOES NOT count through DOORS

- RANGE DOES count around CORNERS

So, if a monster has to go through a door or around a corner to get to an investigator, it is effectively blocked...even though it would otherwise be within 3 spaces of the investigator? ie, monsters can not leave the room they are in (or go around a corner in that room) to get to an investigator?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the answer is yes (I will update the barricades section). It's the same as if an investigator tried to force their way past a barricade, fail, and try it again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Please forgive the stupid question.
Re;

3) RANGE
- WITHIN RANGE always means WITHIN 3 SPACES (or up to 3 spaces away)

- Your current space is considered 0 spaces away

- RANGE DOES NOT count through DOORS

- RANGE DOES count around CORNERS

So, if a monster has to go through a door or around a corner to get to an investigator, it is effectively blocked...even though it would otherwise be within 3 spaces of the investigator? ie, monsters can not leave the room they are in (or go around a corner in that room) to get to an investigator?


If it says the monster moves toward an investigator within range, they CAN NOT go through doors, but CAN go around corners.

If it says the monster moves toward the closest investigator (and does NOT mention range), then it can move through doors

I'll update the monster movement section to cover this
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! Great format, great selection. Very handy and supporting.

I have a barricade / fire question. Does a fire spread through a barricade? I've played it where it does as the barricade is essentially blocking a door and fires can spread through doors.

That said, thematically it sure feels like it should have to roll some dice to see if it can make it through the barricade and if it does, it should destroy the barricade.

Do you know if there is an official ruling on fire and barricades or should it just be considered a door and the fire spreads as usual (and leaves the barricade in place?).

Thanks!


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Please forgive the stupid question.
Re;

3) RANGE
- WITHIN RANGE always means WITHIN 3 SPACES (or up to 3 spaces away)

- Your current space is considered 0 spaces away

- RANGE DOES NOT count through DOORS

- RANGE DOES count around CORNERS

So, if a monster has to go through a door or around a corner to get to an investigator, it is effectively blocked...even though it would otherwise be within 3 spaces of the investigator? ie, monsters can not leave the room they are in (or go around a corner in that room) to get to an investigator?


I don't believe this is correct.

If you're referring to range, a corner does NOT block range but a door does.

It may be worthwhile to tweak the emphasis in the FAQ like this:

- Range counts around CORNERS

- Range does NOT count through DOORS


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.