Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Virtually New Player - Clarification on some 'Noob' questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micharl Bello
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello one and all,

Sorry... Eldritch Horror is my first venture into more technical/advanced board games. I spent weeks and months looking at different games to buy, and ended up with this one

I looked at videos explaining the game and play through footage before playing, so I felt I had a good grasp before my first game.

So far I have played 3 times on my own (2 investigators) with 1 win, and 2 times with my GF (2 investigators) with 1 win - all against Azathoth.

After a few games I realised there are some questions/clarifications I need to understand, which I can't seem to get answered in the rulebook or guide. Hopefully some of you don't mind answering these for me as I due to play again tonight (and hate the thought of winning but deep down feeling I haven't:

1) My GF got a detained card which said that the only action she could complete for an action was to roll dice to remove the card. She rolled and was successful (so technically first action) - now she has lost the card can she do a second action, or would she automatically be in the encounter stage then?

2) I can't remember the card name but it provided +1 Lore, and also one re roll of a dice for a Lore Test (asset card). The card did not say once per round, so technically if she used a Lore test in her action phase (i.e. for a spell), can she reuse that asset for the same ability in the Encounter phase (i.e. Other World). I thought yes and the card does not specify only once per round like other cards/abilities do

3) We had a spell that allowed a monster on another space to lose 4 health - we had an epic monster with 4 health. Was I right in saying we couldn't kill that monster because you can only defeat those monsters in battle? The card said if the monster loses all it's health discard it, however the book says you can't discard epic monsters

4) If a card (outside of Mythos) says advance the omen track by one, do you still advance Doom if you have gates corresponding with that Omen colour?

I probably will have lots more Q's but thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:
Hello one and all,

Sorry... Eldritch Horror is my first venture into more technical/advanced board games. I spent weeks and months looking at different games to buy, and ended up with this one

I looked at videos explaining the game and play through footage before playing, so I felt I had a good grasp before my first game.

So far I have played 3 times on my own (2 investigators) with 1 win, and 2 times with my GF (2 investigators) with 1 win - all against Azathoth.

After a few games I realised there are some questions/clarifications I need to understand, which I can't seem to get answered in the rulebook or guide. Hopefully some of you don't mind answering these for me as I due to play again tonight (and hate the thought of winning but deep down feeling I haven't:

1) My GF got a detained card which said that the only action she could complete for an action was to roll dice to remove the card. She rolled and was successful (so technically first action) - now she has lost the card can she do a second action, or would she automatically be in the encounter stage then?

She gets a second action.

Quote:
2) I can't remember the card name but it provided +1 Lore, and also one re roll of a dice for a Lore Test (asset card). The card did not say once per round, so technically if she used a Lore test in her action phase (i.e. for a spell), can she reuse that asset for the same ability in the Encounter phase (i.e. Other World). I thought yes and the card does not specify only once per round like other cards/abilities do

Correct it is once per relevant test unless stated otherwise

Quote:
3) We had a spell that allowed a monster on another space to lose 4 health - we had an epic monster with 4 health. Was I right in saying we couldn't kill that monster because you can only defeat those monsters in battle? The card said if the monster loses all it's health discard it, however the book says you can't discard epic monsters

You don't have to engage epic monsters in combat necessarily. You need to reduce their health to zero. So you could defeat an epic monster with this effect.

Quote:
4) If a card (outside of Mythos) says advance the omen track by one, do you still advance Doom if you have gates corresponding with that Omen colour?

Whenever you move the omen you always look to see if doom advances unless the effect that moves the omen states otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

1) As I understand it once she is no longer detained the card is discarded immediately and as that means the narrative on that card (saying you cannot do any other actions) is also discarded she can now do a second action.

2) From what you have written yes. If a card doesn't specify once per turn or whatever then it can be used multiple times.

3) IIRC Epic monsters need to lose all their health to be defeated - they can't be summarily discarded or moved by an effect that does not inflict damage. But if a card inflicts actual damage on them then they can be defeated. This prevents 'Remove a monster with toughness equal to X' type cards being used.

4) Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:
You have 2 actions each turn.
Detained doesn't make you lose your 2nd action.
If you get rid of Detained, you're free to normally perform that action.

MEJBelloz wrote:
2) I can't remember the card name but it provided +1 Lore, and also one re roll of a dice for a Lore Test (asset card). The card did not say once per round, so technically if she used a Lore test in her action phase (i.e. for a spell), can she reuse that asset for the same ability in the Encounter phase (i.e. Other World).
Yes, she can.

MEJBelloz wrote:
3) We had a spell that allowed a monster on another space to lose 4 health - we had an epic monster with 4 health. Was I right in saying we couldn't kill that monster because you can only defeat those monsters in battle?
No, you were wrong.
You can only defeat epic monsters by dealing damage to them. But this damage doesn't have to come from battle. All damage sources are legitimate.

MEJBelloz wrote:
The card said if the monster loses all it's health discard it
I find it hard to believe this, as this would be an absolutely redundant effect.
Please, check this again.

MEJBelloz wrote:
Yes, this is all a part of "advance the omen" effect. It doesn't matter where the effect came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Whenever you move advance the omen you always look to see if doom advances
Fixed this, as it could mislead someone. Advancing the omen and moving the omen are very different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micharl Bello
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for the quick - detailed replies. It actually appears I was right on most things, besides not killing the epic monster like I could have without having to physically engage it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
MEJBelloz wrote:

You don't have to engage epic monsters in combat necessarily. You need to reduce their health to zero. So you could defeat an epic monster with this effect.

EDIT: I'm talking nonsense. Ignore this paragraph!
To be completely precise (since monsters don't have "health" per se) a monster can either be killed due to having suffered damage/wounds equal to their toughness, or they can be discarded by other effects. The latter can't occur to epic monsters, but they can suffer damage through any means (unless something else says otherwise) and will indeed die when they've taken damage equal to their toughness.

DaveD wrote:
MEJBelloz wrote:

Whenever you move the omen you always look to see if doom advances unless the effect that moves the omen states otherwise.

I think the way it's rules in the latest FAQ is along the lines of distinguishing "advancing the Omen" vs "moving the Omen". Whenever the Omen advances (which includes the symbol on non-rumour Mythos cards, you advance Doom for each gate on the board matching the new symbol. This does not happen if the Omen "moves" without it being an advancement - even if the "move" was one space clockwise.

This is critical for a lot of the Strange Remnants expansion if nothing else!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
To be completely precise (since monsters don't have "health" per se)
To be even more precise, they do.
"Damage" is one of the monster's stats. Otherwise, Eldritch Horror exclusively uses term "lose health", never "suffer damage" or "deal damage".
The monster has Health which is initially equal to its Toughness.
It is defeated when it has lost Health equal to its Toughness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
DaveD wrote:
MEJBelloz wrote:

To be completely precise (since monsters don't have "health" per se) a monster can either be killed due to having suffered damage/wounds equal to their toughness, or they can be discarded by other effects. The latter can't occur to epic monsters, but they can suffer damage through any means (unless something else says otherwise) and will indeed die when they've taken damage equal to their toughness.

To be perfectly precise monsters do lose health, so they must have it to lose.

reference guide wrote:
If he passes, the Monster loses Health equal to the test result.
Indicate this by placing a equal number of Health tokens on
the Monster token. Th investigator and Monster lose Health simultaneously.
^ When a Monster has lost Health equal to or greater than its
toughness, the Monster is defeated and returned to the monster cup.

Damage is a different thing reflecting what monsters do to investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
DaveD wrote:
MEJBelloz wrote:

To be perfectly precise monsters do lose health, so they must have it to lose.

reference guide wrote:
If he passes, the Monster loses Health equal to the test result.
Indicate this by placing a equal number of Health tokens on
the Monster token. Th investigator and Monster lose Health simultaneously.
^ When a Monster has lost Health equal to or greater than its
toughness, the Monster is defeated and returned to the monster cup.

Damage is a different thing reflecting what monsters do to investigators.

Oops, apologies. Guess that's what I get for trying to be pedantic without checking the rulebook!

Edited above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Edited above.
Just a sidenote: For such edits, the strikethrough does an awesome job of telling "This is wrong but I'm not deleting it, to keep the context".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micharl Bello
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm more impressed I actually won a game without messing any rules up (or at least not realising I have messed any up)

The other question I had was around delayed -

So I had a card which I believed said I couldn't be delayed, or could choose not to become delayed (I forget which). Anyway during my encounter something happened which caused me to become delayed - does my card stop me becoming delayed, or does it not? (especially if it was 'choose to not become delayed - as I have not chosen to)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:
So I had a card which I believed said I couldn't be delayed, or could choose not to become delayed (I forget which). Anyway during my encounter something happened which caused me to become delayed - does my card stop me becoming delayed, or does it not? (especially if it was 'choose to not become delayed - as I have not chosen to)?
Unfortunately, the exact wording is required to answer this question (of the card that wanted to delay you).
Or, at the very least, the name of the card in question.

The delay was most likely prevented by Pocket Watch, but other cards work identically here.

In general:
If the card says "You're delayed", the Pocket Watch will prevent it.
If the card says "You're delayed, unless you do something different", the Pocket Watch will prevent it.
If the card says "Something happens, unless you become delayed", then the Pocket Watch can't help you.
If the card says "You may become delayed to do something", then the Pocket Watch can't help you.
If the card says "The group must choose someone to be delayed." and the group chooses you, the Pocket Watch will prevent the delay.

These are all the possible scenarios I remember at this moment.

When you have some spare time, you might want to check out the online FAQ available at FFG site. I think it will answer some of your questions.
It might even answer some question you didn't even know you have.

And when you have even more free time, you may check the Official Clarifications thread - it has a lot of answers, both for beginner questions, and for more advanced too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micharl Bello
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
haroth9842 wrote:
MEJBelloz wrote:
Unfortunately, the exact wording is required to answer this question (of the card that wanted to delay you).
Or, at the very least, the name of the card in question.

The delay was most likely prevented by Pocket Watch, but other cards work identically here.

In general:
If the card says "You're delayed", the Pocket Watch will prevent it.
If the card says "You're delayed, unless you do something different", the Pocket Watch will prevent it.
If the card says "Something happens, unless you become delayed", then the Pocket Watch can't help you.
If the card says "You may become delayed to do something", then the Pocket Watch can't help you.
If the card says "The group must choose someone to be delayed." and the group chooses you, the Pocket Watch will prevent the delay.

These are all the possible scenarios I remember at this moment.

When you have some spare time, you might want to check out the online FAQ available at FFG site. I think it will answer some of your questions.
It might even answer some question you didn't even know you have.

And when you have even more free time, you may check the Official Clarifications thread - it has a lot of answers, both for beginner questions, and for more advanced too.

Thanks for this advice - I do believe it was pocket watch now you've mentioned it.

I'm sure the more I play the more questions will come up

Thanks again guys - really appreciate your time answering questions you've probably been asked millions of times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micharl Bello
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok..... I knew this was going to happen, I have some new questions after playing last night!

I apologise in advance if I cannot remember names of cards:

1) I was fighting Yog-sothoth, so he has a reckoning affect on his card. I also had a Cultist out, which again has a reckoning symbol. I take a Mythos card with a reckoning symbol, do I complete the reckoning action once for the GOO, and then again because of the Cultist (this would be the same reckoning action as the Cultist says for you to refer to the GOO card)? Or am I only ever doing the Reckoning if a Cultist is out?

2) My GF and I were both killed (health loss) but a rumour card meaning we were both defeated and there were no investigators left (result of a reckoning effect removing an Eldridge Token from the rumour). Is the game over because there are no investigators (my understanding is the game is only over if there are no investigator due to all be eliminated), or do I complete the Mythos card (i.e. the event action), then we both pick a new investigator each?

3) GOO awakens due to Doom advancing from a Mythos card, do I still complete the Reckoning effects, Gate Spawn, before the GOO awakens? Or should I now stop reading the card and start the new action phase?

4) Yog-sothoth has 6 additional cards I believe - do you only use one of them for the FINAL mystery? They all have the same title, but I didn't read the context.

Those are my Q's today - hope they make sense.

I was very frustrating yesterday as we were so close to solving the third mystery, however the Rumour killed us meaning we lost an investigator with 3 spells (the mystery involved discarding 2 spells). Soon as the GOO awakened there were way too many Gates to close before being moved to the GOO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The reckoning symbol on the cultist does not trigger the GOO's reckoning effect. It only triggers a reckoning effect written on the cultist token that is on the GOO sheet (for example, Shub-Niggurath's cultists turn into monsters).
If the cultist doesn't have a reckoning effect, you ignore the reckoning symbol for the cultist (you still resolve the GOO reckoning effect one time only, as normal).

2) I believe you complete the Mythos and you both pick a new investigator.

3) You complete the reckoning effects. For example if Doom was at 1 and the Mythos card would advance Doom by 2, then Doom goes to zero, the GOO awakens, and then Doom advances a second time (which would usually trigger some nasty effects on the awakened GOO card).

4) It's a deck of "Key and the Gate" cards, like encounter cards. Each time you try to solve the Final Mystery, you draw one randomly.
I think Yog also has a second deck of cards related to one of his normal mysteries, but I can't recall if that is from the Forsaken Lore expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:

I was very frustrating yesterday as we were so close to solving the third mystery, however the Rumour killed us meaning we lost an investigator with 3 spells (the mystery involved discarding 2 spells). Soon as the GOO awakened there were way too many Gates to close before being moved to the GOO.

I presume you are playing 2-player with 1 investigator each.
I would suggest you try playing with 2 investigators each (4 investigators normal).

It makes for an overall easier game, and it's a lot less swingy. Also, you'd normally have the chance to do stuff like expeditions, take your time to do gate-control etc., which in a normal 2-investigator game you'd have to ignore and rush to solve mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:
1) I was fighting Yog-sothoth, so he has a reckoning affect on his card. I also had a Cultist out, which again has a reckoning symbol. I take a Mythos card with a reckoning symbol, do I complete the reckoning action once for the GOO, and then again because of the Cultist (this would be the same reckoning action as the Cultist says for you to refer to the GOO card)? Or am I only ever doing the Reckoning if a Cultist is out?
The red reckoning symbol in the bottom-right corner is just a visual reminder saying "in case of reckoning, remember to check this card/token for reckoning effects". It doesn't do anything on it's own.
The actual reckoning effect is a text that looks like this "
: Do something."
Why this distinction is important here?
Because Yog-Sothoth Cultists don't have any reckoning effects.

A Cultist is a special type of monster. Its stats are different depending on which Ancient One you are facing in a given game.
In an older game, "Arkham Horror", Cultists had base stats printed on the token, and the Ancient One sheet told you how to modify those.
For example it could say "Cultists have 5 toughness.", "Cultists are Flying", "Cultists deal 3 damage and drink Coca Cola" and so on.
In Eldritch Horror, designers concluded "That was silly. If players need to refer to the Ancient One sheet to see what Cultists do, let's just print the full stats there."

The "refer to the GOO card" text you have mentioned means just that: "Stats for the monster token you are holding, are printed on the Ancient One sheet".

The Cultist token has both the Reckoning reminder symbol, and a Spawn reminder symbol, to remind you to check the Ancient One sheet if it actually has any of these effects. But it doesn't have to actually have any.

If you were facing the Shub-Niggurath, then both Ancient One and each of the Cultists would have reckoning effects to resolve, but those would be different effects (both to be found on AO sheet, but printed in different places).

MEJBelloz wrote:
2) My GF and I were both killed (health loss) (...) (my understanding is the game is only over if there are no investigator due to all be eliminated)
This is is correct. The game is lost when all the possible investigators are eliminated, not just those you have started with.

MEJBelloz wrote:
2) (...) do I complete the Mythos card (i.e. the event action), then we both pick a new investigator each?
This is also correct.

MEJBelloz wrote:
3) GOO awakens due to Doom advancing from a Mythos card, do I still complete the Reckoning effects, Gate Spawn, before the GOO awakens? Or should I now stop reading the card and start the new action phase?
You should pause the resolving of the Mythos card, fully resolve the AO's awakening, then continue with resolving the Mythos card.

MEJBelloz wrote:
4) Yog-sothoth has 6 additional cards I believe - do you only use one of them for the FINAL mystery? They all have the same title, but I didn't read the context.
You only use those when the game tells you to do so. It will refer to those cards by using the title you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micharl Bello
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for your quick responses again!

You seem a great community

I think I may consider playing with 4 investigators as I think what has been highlighted is right, we are rushing to close gates, and are missing on using Encounters to improve/remove monsters/spawn clues/Expeditions etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:

Just don't grow too lazy. When you'll have a doubt next time, you can, for example, note down the name of a card in question. This way, you won't have to rely on your memory later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEJBelloz wrote:

I think I may consider playing with 4 investigators as I think what has been highlighted is right, we are rushing to close gates, and are missing on using Encounters to improve/remove monsters/spawn clues/Expeditions etc.

Yeah, pacing is important in this game.

In a 4 investigator game it often pays off to spend the first 2-3 turns powering up your investigators, by buying items (getting bank loans usually is worth it!) and encountering the spaces where you can improve your stats, with maybe 1 investigator closing gates.

Then around turns 4-6 usually its all about solving rumours and closing gates, while you start working on the first mystery.

In a normal game you have 16 turns (15 mythos cards). I aim to finish the first mystery by turn 8, the second by turn 12, and then rush the last mystery as fast as possible. At the end-game you should have 1-2 investigators really tooled up with items, clues and improvements so the last 1-2 mysteries would be a lot easier to solve compared to the first mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.