Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner doesn't enjoy direct conflict games and even though her favorite game is dominion she doesn't enjoy many attack cards. I was wondering if there was a light and shorter game that has direct conflict. Munchkin is too long, She didn't like Small World but that may be because I taught it to her at like 2 in the morning...

It's not a huge deal if it just isn't her thing because I respect that but I just want to expand her horizons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:

Might be a bit too brutal! We hated it at first because of that

Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game is not a great game but there is a light take-that aspect to it that's not prevalent.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is mostly solitaire with a touch of control through card-denial and monsters (buy the card she needs). Plus it's right up her alley being a deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is my go to light direct conflict game personally. But if your partner doesn't like direct conflict then maybe you should be looking for games that lean the other way instead of trying to change their tastes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Sun Tzu and Raptor as well as 7 Wonders Duel - you can choose how aggressive you want to be in 7WD and discarding military cards is often a smart thing to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:

Could work. Despite the space combat theme and fact that the aim is to reduce you opponents' authority to 0 it doesn't really feel very confrontational to me. There are cards which force your opponent to discard a card (but that's often a minor irritation unless someone gets lots of them at once) and you can destroy you opponent's bases (but I know any base play will get destroyed quickly so it doesn't bother me too much).

There's a free app so you can try it out (you can pay for extra stuff but if you just want to try out the game it's free).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tanguyserra wrote:
I like Sun Tzu and Raptor as well as 7 Wonders Duel - you can choose how aggressive you want to be in 7WD and discarding military cards is often a smart thing to do!

You actually do more than just that. You deny your opponent resources, inflate the price they have to pay for said resource, deny them cards (by building them, selling them, building wonders with them, or playing an extra turn so you could reach them first), or directly destroy their cards and money through wonders and military. It is a very mean game if you play it right, and you can completely control both the game and your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm you thinking more conflict in mechanics or more in theme?
Have you tried some type of worker placement thats very heavy on what your opponents do such as Spyrium?
A game with conflict front and center thats possibly worth checking out is Pixel Tactics
those might be heavier than what your looking for this time though....
if your player count is more than the 2 of you maybe Loot?

+1 to all that 7 wonders duel stuff if the classic is liked by her

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Punch

and

Brawl

Both are light, quick games with direct competition and attacks on your opponent. Brawl has an iOS app, as well, if you want to try out the real-time card card. I enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Man's Draw is a push your luck card game, but it has cards that allow you to beat up on your opponent. Some can steal cards from your opponent and others just blow them up(makes them discard). My wife thought she didn't like take that or direct combat games before she played this game. After getting a small taste of it trough Dead Man's Draw it is probably her favorite style game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My GF doesn't like conflict at all. The one game where she happily gets mean is Bohnanza when she denies a trade that doesn't help her but others.

Also I learned that ironically purely confrontational games work slightly better. I mean: conflict is more ok with those games.
Because then it is just the sole purpose of the game to work against your opponent. In games like Dominion on the other hand that conflict seems to be unnecessary and disturbing because everyone could have a good time just doing good things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
msg tools
+1 Sun Tzu

It's a light game that can be played in 20-30 minutes. The direct conflict is at the core of the game, so I have found that tensions aren't as high due to that being so obvious in the game. Simple mechanics of selecting cards while trying to predict your opponent's move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
If she doesn't like direct conflict games, then why would you want to make her play yet another one? Why not try instead to find games with less/no conflict that you can both enjoy?

Having said that, you might try Beasty Bar, a lightweight take-that game with a very silly theme. It's the only direct conflict game that my wife will play, because it is so quick, light and silly that it just doesn't feel mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities's a very obvious choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
At two player take a look at Evolution The Beginning. Great two player game that can be quite mean depending on the way the players play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers has the option to raze an opponents building . But you do get ruins to build something better and a consolation resource as well, there there.
Citadels has a bit if you wish to play that way with some of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.