Popular Tags: uk [+] [View All]
Yann Best
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*cough*

Ever feel like you drew the short straw when you decided to live in a specific place?

Well, er, I guess there ought to be something posted in here, and I'm sure there must be some potential for gaming groups in Wales: Cardiff Games has to sell to somebody, right?

Anyway, I live in the Swansea area, but should have no real difficulties with meet-ups anywhere that's accessible by rail (anywhere between here and Newport - further than that's pushing it a little). Well, work notwithstanding, at least.

I know there are some gamers active around Wales - I was graciously invited to join a group late last year by a BGGer who shall remain nameless, but unfortunately missed my one opportunity to attend due to work, and have since heard nothing of the group, which saddens me.

But enough of that. The question is, how many of us are there: how many active BGGers do we have in good old Cymru? If anyone'd like to make their presence known, why don't you do so here? It'd make this forum seem slightly less eerily quiet, at least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be worth your while getting in touch with Middle Earth Games over in Cardiff. Now, although they're basically a (successful) PBM company, they seem to have their fingers on the pulse of the Welsh games "scene", such as it is.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
No need to leave me nameless when you're describing my graciousness.

I've just checked with the host, and I've PM'd you an invite to a Wednesday evening session in Porthcawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a regular gaming group in Cardiff - if you like I can ping you a message next time we do something (although we don't have a regular day or time for gaming, it tends to be a bit more random than that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gavingva wrote:
It could be worth your while getting in touch with Middle Earth Games over in Cardiff. Now, although they're basically a (successful) PBM company, they seem to have their fingers on the pulse of the Welsh games "scene", such as it is.

Gavin

I second Gavin's idea. I know the moderator of Middle Earth Games (Clint) has played such things as War of the Rings and tons of other games. They should definately be able to help you out. I was a customer of their PBM business for many many years and they seem like great folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yann, if you want gamers, start a PUBLIC club. There are lots of gamers lurking in private home groups, only getting contacts through personal introduction. Turn that around. Start a public group, work at it and pretty soon you'll have plenty of people to enjoy your games. We had 30+ at Beyond Monopoly! yesterday and the club grows every meeting.

I'm not saying it is easy. You have to find a free or low cost venue. You have to have a regular meeting schedule. You have to keep plugging away, run an email reminder list, do what you can to promote it. But you only need three people to start, and you're one of them already. So find two more gamers and get it going.

Cheers,
Jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Best
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
No need to leave me nameless when you're describing my graciousness.

Heh, I was just worried you might not want to be associated with the weirdo making a fuss

Cheers for the PM, you should receive a response momentarily!

Oh, and thanks to Gavin and Russ - I'll go start bothering Middle Earth people ASAP

Jim: that'd be great, Cardiff should be good for me - please do give me a bell next time you're gaming down in Cardiff and I'll see if I can join you!

Jon: cheers for the advice, but as you say doing so would be a lot of work, and I really wouldn't know where to start (also, I'm not sure that Swansea is exactly a hotbed of gamer activity, though I live in hope!). Still, I'll certainly look into it - hopefully some of the societies at the university will be able to advise me on good locations to scout out (sadly there's no board game soc, though there are two role-playing soc's, and an MTG one. Also, I'm not sure a board game society filled entirely with students would appeal to me that much!).

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and offers, they're much appreciated. At least this folder looks vaguely active now, eh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I bet you should be checking this out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/178
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'd like to meet some boardgamers in the cardiff area, especially if you're interested in war games. I'm looking at World in Flames at the moment but not sure i can perusade my wife that £90 is worth it for me to play solo! (she doesn't do conlict type games!!)

That said i've a small collection mainly euro's type which i usually play with wife and son!

Steve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We go to Pembroke quite a bit and on the main street is a shop called

http://www.dragonalley.co.uk/

My son learnt to play Pokemon there one morning. I know they regularly have gaming events as we've seen a few and used games tend to be left open for people to peruse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Magician
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I live in Swansea and love playing boardgames, also DM 1st Ed AD&D and Classic Traveller. And I play in a 3rd Ed AD&D game !

PS. email me on 'the_magician_666@yahoo.co.uk'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you think Swansea is a quiet place! It's a Metropolis compared to where I am in Merthyr Tydfil.
You know the line from Star Wars "if there's a bright center to the universe, Tattoine is farthest from it" that's Merthyr.
No Hobby shop, not even a Model shopcry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Magician
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I'm still here !

I live in Swansea and love playing boardgames, also DM 1st Ed AD&D and Classic Traveller. And I play in a 3rd Ed AD&D game !

PS. email me on 'the_magician_666@yahoo.co.uk'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.